BFRPG Online?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Cypher optics

BFRPG Online?

Post by Cypher optics »

Hello! I am extremely new to this community but i'm also extremely curious to see if anyone plays online on IRC or some kind of chat service like that or are willing to start a group online! Also Hello! I am excited to be a part of this community. Im eager to learn about the game and to start playing! :mrgreen:
SmootRK

Re: BFRPG Online?

Post by SmootRK »

Welcome welcome!!

I am sure you will find others whom play via a variety of mechanisms... especially when you organize such a game yourself.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I play BFRPG online. I'm in onl;y one live chat game at the moment, but am in 4 pbp games. If you get another live chat game I'll join in if the times work out.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I know of at least one BFRPG game on Roll20. And we've a few pbp about.

Hyway, what was JoeCarr using for his Sunday game?
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I don't know what Joe was using. Sunday morning/afternoon wouldn't work for me so I didn't follow it.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Joe was using MapTools which worked very well, I thought, but he shut it down due to attendance issues. :cry:
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I run a pbp game and i'm about to start up a roll20/skype game. i have ran bfrpg on traipse/openrpg for the last few years. I'm the resident bfrpg GM on Mayhem Gaming and i'm promoting the system constantly.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Yep, from a GM's point of view MapTool worked seamlessly for me. I'd definitely recommend it for a live text chat game. It's a free download at www.rptools.net. The port forwarding was a bit fiddly to set-up initially, but once it was all up and running, no-one had any problems connecting. The chat and dice rolling functionality were fine, and the map drawing tools were sufficiently flexible and easy to use that I could draw the dungeon on the fly as the players explored it. TokenTool (a tool for creating, err, tokens) by the same company is also great.

With a bit of preparation, MapTool's lighting and fog-of-war effects also work well. I've only really just got to grips with these, but will be using them in the current Marketstone play-by-post adventure.

I guess the only real downsides of MapTool in comparison to the Roll20 new kid on the block are that each player has to download the MapTool software, and that you don't get the integrated voice and video chat (if that's what you want).
Last edited by JoeCarr28 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I like roll20. I've never used maptools much, but can tell you from a new player point of view that joining a game in roll20 is light years easier than joining a map tools game. I can't make any recommendations on how they compare once you have played a few games.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:I like roll20. I've never used maptools much, but can tell you from a new player point of view that joining a game in roll20 is light years easier than joining a map tools game. I can't make any recommendations on how they compare once you have played a few games.
As usual, I'll disagree with Hyway :D . If the GM's got the server set-up correctly, joining a MapTool game is an absolute doddle. And you don't have to watch any adverts.