Dice Sets required to play

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Adrianh

Dice Sets required to play

Post by Adrianh »

After a 29 year absence, i'm looking at playing some RPG with my kids and I'm amazed that this exists and also its quality. It is very like the 'tunnel and trolls' I played with my younger brothers. Funny enough when I was young my folks tried to get me away from playing RPG but I'm going to try encourage the kids to play to break them away from the electronic pluged state that all kids and most adults seem to be in these days.

Anyway, sorry for the very basic question but to start out with BF, what set of dice do I need (i can afford a full set!)? I'm being very lazy but I want the kids first experience to be as smooth as possible.
shadowmane

Re: Dice Sets required to play

Post by shadowmane »

Well, you could start with one set of dice and go from there. I would have at least a set for every gamer. But if you really want to have the dice, Chessex sells a 2lb bag of mixed dice that would probably cover you and your kids needs.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

A 7d set is more than enough for one player and if you don't mind sharing the dice it can be use by the hole table.
The 9d set is useful for creating characters on the fly thanks to the extra 2d6.
Multiple dice (specially d4 and d6) are helpful for some spells and other damage types.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

If you have a local game shop to go to then pick up your dice there. There are different online stores that sell dice also and here is The Dice Shop is one example of those online stores.

Basic amount needed IMHO*

d20 (1)
d12 (optional)
d10 (2)
d8 (1)
d6 (4 or 3)
d4 (1 or 2)

That is the basic set that I consider the minimum needed. Most people prefer to have their own dice. Most shops sell premade sets.

*In My Honest Opinion
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

d6s can be cannibalized from pretty much any board game - although I hear they sell them too ;)

d4, d6, d8, d10, and d20 would cover 90% of what you'll ever need. If everyone has one of each, and 2d10 for the thief player, you're covered for actual play. Having a pool of extra 6s and 8s on hand isn't a bad idea.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

you need multiple D20's. I know I feel much better changing dice when the roll's don't go my way :). Also, go to game Demo's and release events at your local game store. Lots of free swag. I've gotten a lot of dice from those things.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dice sets make great little Christmas presents for people who play games. This is the one sort of item that brings me back to the game stores so that I can support them (because otherwise, I only do free games like BFRPG or similar options - see my signature for RPG Free List).

Of course, if you have an electronically equipped family (as mine is becoming), one can get various dice rolling apps for Kindle Fire, iPads/iPhones, Galaxy, etc. Sometimes this can be very cheap or free for those on serious budgets, and it will cover all the various dice in one little package.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I have an app called D&D Dice by bfreq on my galaxy tab 2. It works pretty well and it is free. If anyone is looking for a free app then take a look at it.
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

I'd seriously consider buying individual dice of different colors, to make it easier to grab a d20 'cause it's purple; d4 'cause its yellow, a d6 cause it's red, a green d8, a blue d12, a black d10 and white d10 for d100, etc. (whatever color scheme you like - simple is better to me.) Young kids will be interested in the colors and hence learn the dice faster.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

That is a very good idea. If it is sets that is going to be for specific kids then let the kids choose the colors they like. If it is going to be a dice pool then individual colors for dice would work. Buy 4d4 in yellow, 6d6 in red, etc... so that it would help the kids learn which die is which like you say.