Multiclassing in Basic Fantasy vs AD&D

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
excior

Multiclassing in Basic Fantasy vs AD&D

Post by excior »

I was wondering if you guys and gals thought it would break the game if I used the AD&D way to multiclass Elves or other Demi Humans

They have to take all xp earned and divide it equally among both classes
their hit dice is half for each class 1d10/2 for fighter and 1d4/2 for Magic user
at level 1 they could have a max of 7 HP + con mod if any and allow to operate freely in both classes.
Dimirag

Re: Multiclassing in Basic Fantasy vs AD&D

Post by Dimirag »

I don't think it would break anything, it may have some extra steps compared to combo-classes and you'll have to take care of 2 classes (and compare values at each leveling up) instead of dealing with a combined class
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

It works...

it is weird when one really digs in. Separate XP tracking, odd calculations for HP, etc. I find it clumsy and inelegant compared to the general BFRPG method of combine XP and use best of each class. The only situations that break or are weird is the combos that just do not jive (ie F/Th for example).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Personally I think the BFRPG way of handling it is several hundred times better and less clunky than the AD&D version, I honestly cannot think of a single reason to use the AD&D version, it certainly won't break anything but it is going to be significantly more work
No matter where you go...there you are
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I like the BFRPG style of multiclassing. I tried something similar years ago, but for some reason everyone else in my group thought levelling up would take too long.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I houseruled the BFRPG method for my games. The formula is pretty basic:

Class XP + Class XP = Subtotal
(Subtotal/# Classes) * 50% = Combo XP total

The reasoning for this is the fact you are using only the best of the classes which means half of the classes are ignored hence the Averaging of Class XP. The 50% is the splitting your training XP cost as you need to now focus on two classes for training aka crosstraining which takes longer.

I also playtested a different formula that works similar but is closer to the core rules. This formula represents taking a primary class and cherry picking the best of other class skills and abilities.

Primary Class XP + 50% Secondary Class XP = Combo Total.

These two formulas are things I like to play around with so I consider them just being playtest or beta at best.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

my party of 4 has 2 Combo classed elves (one of each) and they aren't levelling significantly slower than the rest of the party (level three to level 4 for the two single classed characters) though still only pretty low level, but it works just fine in my experience
No matter where you go...there you are
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Metroknight wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:11 am I houseruled the BFRPG method for my games. The formula is pretty basic:

The reasoning for this is the fact you are using only the best of the classes which means half of the classes are ignored hence the Averaging of Class XP. The 50% is the splitting your training XP cost as you need to now focus on two classes for training aka crosstraining which takes longer.

I also playtested a different formula that works similar but is closer to the core rules. This formula represents taking a primary class and cherry picking the best of other class skills and abilities.

These two formulas are things I like to play around with so I consider them just being playtest or beta at best.
I may try your formula, though in the second one I would caveat Primary is always the higher XP cost class.
I wonder how these calculate out and compare for the situations of the combos that do not really work like Fighter-Thief or Fighter-Cleric... would these alternate XP make these combos viable?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Lets compare a Fighter-Cleric using the new formula
Compared to a Fighter it gains turning undead and clerical spells (and magic item creation)
Compared to a Fighter it gains better Hit Dice, Attack Bonus, and more weapons.

Now, on an XP vs XP comparison (the important part)
Hit Points:
-Fighter-Cleric vs Cleric: The Combo gets a better range and median for its HP
-Fighter-Cleric vs Fighter: Same HD but due to the XP values the fighter gets the upper hand (slightly)

Attack Bonus:
-Fighter-Cleric vs Cleric: The combo actually fights equal or better than the single class (the standard combo class isn't viable in this aspect)
-Fighter-Cleric vs Fighter: The Fighter gets the upper hand here but not by much, a +1 difference here and there.

Turning and Spell:
-Fighter-Cleric vs Cleric: The FC is lower than the C by 1 level at first, starting at level 9 the difference increase up to 5 levels.
-Fighter-Cleric vs Fighter: No comparison here.

Overall, the new formula works, it opens this combo-class (maybe also the other ones)
Here is the file with all the data
Attachments
Fighter-Cleric.ods
(26.65 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

SmootRK wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:59 am
Metroknight wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:11 am I houseruled the BFRPG method for my games. The formula is pretty basic:

I may try your formula, though in the second one I would caveat Primary is always the higher XP cost class.
I wonder how these calculate out and compare for the situations of the combos that do not really work like Fighter-Thief or Fighter-Cleric... would these alternate XP make these combos viable?
Have fun with them. It was mostly just a something to try out and when I first worked on it, it was a lot more convoluted in the math. I've tossed those notes a while ago and don't remember the base of it other than the original idea was inspired by the quasi class supplement when it first came out and not the most recent one.