I saw the movie

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
deadPan c

Re: I saw the movie

Post by deadPan c »

SmootRK wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:14 am I won't be watching out of principle. Just don't believe in putting my hard earned money towards it.

That said, I will watch once it gets to a online service that I have access to. It does look mildly entertaining from the previews I have seen... though I think I would have preferred a bit more serious approach. At least I have not seen any blue lipstick wearing fighters.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. If the opportunity arises, I'll see it in cinemas, but I'm mostly planning to watch it online at some point. Though I'm curious as to what you mean by "blue lipstick wearing fighters".
Any pronouns

First rolled a d20 in 2018

Absolute dice goblin. Very original, I know.
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Just got back from seeing it today. Was wanting to boycott but felt like we need more fantasy movies and didn't want to "cut off my nose to spite my face". I also heard it was good.
My take: I loved it...seeing and hearing about the various locales, races, organizations, and people of the Forgotten Realms that I have been reading and playing in for decades was an absolute hoot. The druid owlbear I just chalk up to a "houserule", lol.
My wife's take, not a gamer but liked the LotR movies and other fantasy showings: It was good...fun action, good humor, spell effects were cool, easy to follow plot that didn't need intimate knowledge of the game or setting. Wants to watch again when it comes to a streaming service.

All in all a Good to Great D&D movie. I feel like if I boycotted it I would miss out and send the message to Hollywood that fantasy films aren't really wanted or worth trying. I want more, not less, so I ate my pride and just enjoyed it.
Got one of the last D20 popcorn bins in the theater also...my new soccerball sized dice storage...should be able to fit the pounds and pounds of dice I have easily.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

deadPan c wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:38 pm
SmootRK wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:14 am I won't be watching out of principle. Just don't believe in putting my hard earned money towards it.

That said, I will watch once it gets to a online service that I have access to. It does look mildly entertaining from the previews I have seen... though I think I would have preferred a bit more serious approach. At least I have not seen any blue lipstick wearing fighters.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. If the opportunity arises, I'll see it in cinemas, but I'm mostly planning to watch it online at some point. Though I'm curious as to what you mean by "blue lipstick wearing fighters".
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

the previous D&D movie had one
No matter where you go...there you are
deadPan c

Post by deadPan c »

SmootRK wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:48 pm

Ah, I see. Odd costume design. I don't think it looks bad, just strange given the context. And why does the bald guy have bright red ears?
Any pronouns

First rolled a d20 in 2018

Absolute dice goblin. Very original, I know.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

after what Jeremy Irons was whispering to him in the picture before it, they went scarlet with embarrassment!

or possibly he actually saw the movie!
No matter where you go...there you are
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

IIRC, the evil wizard (Jeremy Irons) put some curse on him as punishment for failing to catch the heroes. It manifested as some parasite that went inside his ears.

The bald guy is Bruce Payne, who also played Jacob Kell, the main villain in Highlander: Endgame.
bugleyman

Post by bugleyman »

I want to see it, but I'm not in a mood to give WotC money right now, so I will probably wait until it's very cheap/free. If not for the OGL shenanigans, I would have been there opening weekend.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

My sister just watched and enjoyed it. She played a few D&D games years ago, but she's not a TTRPG gamer, preferring video games instead. But if she liked it, I may enjoy it as well.

I don't go to the cinema much these days, but maybe I'll watch the movie with friends. Depends on my schedule.

But I still think the definitive D&D movie is Hawk the Slayer! ;)
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

My youngest asked to go see it and we went on Good Friday. I enjoyed the movie. He couldn’t believe how long it was. I noticed a cameo of the ‘80’s D&D cartoon! 😁. Now I don’t know a lot about Forgotten Realms but you don’t need to be well versed to enjoy the movie.