Can a PC back away with defensive movement and then fire a bow?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
12gmsc

Can a PC back away with defensive movement and then fire a bow?

Post by 12gmsc »

The more I think about this, the more I think I know the "right" answer for my our group, but I'm curious if anyone has made rulings on this, or if there's a key sentence in the BFRPG core book that I'm missing.

Character A, we will call him Chuck, is a ranger and likes to use his bow as much as possible.
Suppose he has been attacked in a round, and when his turn comes up he wants to back away with defensive movement and then fire his bow. The obvious answer, to me, is that if you're using defensive movement to back away, it implies using a melee weapon to keep your opponent at bay. Chuck wants to back away, sheath his sword/drop his shield, and then fire his bow. To me this seems pretty unrealistic to do all in one round.

I think I would rule something like this --
-You can back away but not switch to a missile weapon.
OR
-If you back away and drop your sword (and shield) you incur a "parting shot" type attack from your opponent AND shield & sword (and AC bonus of course) are discarded until you have an opportunity to retrieve them safely during or after combat.

Any thoughts or clarifications are welcome, thank you!
Boggo

Re: Can a PC back away with defensive movement and then fire a bow?

Post by Boggo »

Defensive movement is basically an attack of opportunity made on a character who turns their back, what you are describing is a fighting withdrawal (which is in the defensive movement rule).

the 4e book says on page 53 "Alternately, the character may begin backing away (at up to half normal walking movement) while continuing to fight (if the opponent remains within reach, that is,
follows the retreating character). This is termed a fighting withdrawal."

This involves continuing to use the weapons you were using in Melee, you aren't going to get very far away so it's probably not going to be very helpful to even try and swap to archery, since you will be WELL within charge range...

You're two options are pretty much what I'd rule as well
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Huh. I'd allow a character to drop a sword while making a fighting withdrawal, and switch to an already-strung bow and fire in the same round. The keyword is "drop" the sword; you can't do all that and put it away properly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

I would take the fighting withdrawal as the action and the move, next action I would let them drop the sword and change to bow and pew pew
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

My issue with this is that people 'drop' swords all the time and then magically have them again the next round. I would rule with Boggo that a fighting withdrawal takes your attack action to defend as you move.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. Here's my view on it:

A fighting withdrawal is a movement, not an action. Putting away a sword is an action. Dropping a sword and drawing a bow is an action; perhaps firing the bow in the same round is too much, but I'd still allow the player to ready it if he or she dropped the sword first.

BTW: I've had monsters steal dropped weapons. Usually only when facing a horde of little guys (goblins, kobolds, hivelings) or when fighting a monster with numerous or extra appendages. Only an intelligent monster will do this normally.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yeah, all up to readying the bow in one round, but firing it is def. next round IMO
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

Boggo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:44 am I would take the fighting withdrawal as the action and the move, next action I would let them drop the sword and change to bow and pew pew
But isn’t that the job of the DM to remind them that they no longer have their weapon?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

uh they would have their weapon, until the next round when they dropped it and pulled the bow, not quite sure what you're getting at, you can't make a fighting withdrawal with no weapon, thats called a retreat, actually it's usually called a panicked rout
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Despite the name "fighting withdrawal" I never actually meant you had to be armed to do it; half movement while keeping the enemy in view is what I intended.