#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 3 (March)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
shaneward

Re: #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Level 3 (March)

Post by shaneward »

Room 25 where all the extra gear lies.

Boxed text
At the end of the hallway is a archway leading to a dark room. Most of the room is filled with mining equipment, carts, barrels filled with ore to the ceiling. A small path leads to a door in the west wall.
End of boxed text

This is where the dwarven adventurers store their gear and any tools they require. It is piled haphazardly and in some cases it is tettering dangerously. If a search is made there is a 4-6 chance of starting a small avalanche. Anyone in the general vicinity must make a save vs spell or take 1d6+1 damage from junk. It will take 2 rounds for the victim to get themselves out of the rubble.

If an Avalanche happens that will alert the dwarves in the adjacent rooms.

*Please note dwarven room here.

In the rubble is a small bag of 25 silver pieces, a treasure map leading to level 4 written in dwarven.
Check out my little OSR Blog when you have time http://3toadstools.blogspot.ca/
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

6 - Hall of the solemn warrior

There is a chance of 1-2 on 1d6 that characters will hear a melodious hum echoing in the corridors. The hum will stop when they approach either entrance to the hall of the solemn warrior.

Entry from the north-west:
*** start boxed text
The heavy metal door is wide open, wooden shims keep it from falling shut.
The soft sound of dripping water can be heard from the far end of the room.
*** end boxed text

Entry from the south:
*** start boxed text
The winged door is about a third open, a wooden bench keeps it from falling shut.

A soft orange glow is emitted from the south-western-most column, illuminating the hall just enough to give an impression of the size of it.
*** end boxed text

*** start boxed text
The pillared hall: A single orange-tinged crystal shard set in the lower, west-facing part southern-most column of the west row illuminates the hall, and casts deep shadows.

There are wooden benches in the middle. A battery of drums, and large stringed instruments, harp-like with huge resonance bodies, are set up as if for a ceremony.

The throne: On the throne sits a huge skeleton clad in a glorious, but dusty suit of chain armor, and padded robes. A winged helmet crowns its skull. Its posture is that of waiting, very patiently. To its feet lie a sword, and a shield placed on a reddish banner showing a green sun over a mountain top.

The north-east corner's floor is broken, and the eastern wall is cracked. Water seeps out of the cracks, and fills the corner with a pool about one foot deep.
*** end boxed text
The water filling the pool is fresh, and drinkable.

The columns once were adorned with glowing crystal shards, but all save one have been removed. Many of them have been knicked by explorers, but most of them have been gathered, and stored in cocoons by the hum-weaver spider inhabiting the hall. There are about 2d20+10 shards stored in the cocoons high up near the ceiling of the hall.
The crystal shards, all that can be found in the dungeon, react upon command words: gnomish commands, to dim, light up, or flare, so that the intensity of the emitted light can be varied from a soft glimmer to that of a candle, or a bright beacon.

The solemn warrior is of the race of giant elven-kin. His skeleton rests in glorious armor on the throne as if waiting for a ceremony to begin.
Upon investigation a small dart can be found near the neck of the skeleton. It bears a rune of death in the language of the Deep Dwarves. It is safe to handle, its magical effect has been lost on meeting its target.

The solemn warrior (if raised, or undead): AC 17 (13), HD 7, #At 1 (unarmed, or weapon), Dam 1d8, or weapon, Mv 40', Sv as F7, Ml 10, XP 750
Current HP: 39

The sword is a magical weapon +1, and deals 1d10 points of damage. It can be wielded single-handedly by the solemn warrior, but must be used as a two-handed weapon by human-sized creatures. The shield of the solemn warrior weighs about 10 pounds, and offers a +2 AC bonus. It must be considered a tower-shield for human-sized creatures.

Elven-kin (giant): AC 12, HD 2, #At 1 (unarmed, or weapon), Dam 1d8, or weapon (+2), Mv 40', Sv as F2, Ml 9, XP 75

The giant elven-kin grow about 10 feet tall, and weigh between 400 to 800 pounds. They resemble elves, with near ogre strength (+2 damage). Their origin is unknown, and they are rarely mentioned in the usual tales. A few can be found in small communities in mountain areas, or in the vast woodlands to the south.

The hum-weaver living in the hall is a solitary scout. It may be in contact with other hum-weavers, even a queen. It will crawl through the dungeon, and make out places fit for nesting, storage of food, and hunting prey.

Hum-Weaver: AC 13, HD 2*, #At 1 bite, Dam 1d4 + poison, Mv 30' web 50', Sv as F2, Ml 8, XP 100
Current HP: 12

Hum-weavers emit a melodious hum when they weave nets, and spin cocoons. They use their hum for communication, too.

Hum-Weaver (queen): AC 15, HD 7*, #At 1 bite, 1 kick, Dam 1d6 + poison, 1d6, Mv 20' web 40', Sv as F7, Ml 9, XP 735

Damaged characters must save vs. poison, or else lose their sanity for 2d6 turns. If they roll a natural 1, however, they lose their sanity completely, and must be cured by a spell, a miracle, or an antidote potion.

Hum-weaver poison effects (2d6)
2: Apathy, staring into the abyss. Very slow movement, and reaction.
3-4: Inanimate objects are perceived to come alive, talking to the victim.
5-6: Suspicion. Everyone is perceived as scheming against the victim.
7: Uncontrolled bursts of laughter, and giggling.
8-9: Friendliness. Everyone is perceived as friendly, and good-natured.
10-11: Self-realisation. Victim overcomes an inner obstacle, or fear.
12: Hyperactivity, and manic high. Fast movement, boosted morale.

The poison makes the victim suggestible to commands by the hum-weavers that they encode in hummed melodies; victims can thereby be controlled to perform one simple task, e.g. move objects around, before the effect wears off. Controlled victims are subject to the same mood-swings as described above, however, they will complete their task even if the mood-swing wore off.

The threads of the hum-weaver, although very sticky, can be handled well if hands, and tools are prepared with a cleaning potion such as can be made from the moss found in 1.16 with the recipe in 1.8. It could be used to make rope, or bow sinews.
Last edited by lars_alexander on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

@Solomoriah

I thought about something. Would it help having a master thread for Dungeon23? This is where the genral discussions would happen and where you could post and update the master file of the dungeon? We would still have the monthly threads to create the dungeon, but the announcements, guidelines, etc., could be posted in the master thread which would also be used for the reviewing process and discussions once the dungeon has been created.
Rik Pease

Post by Rik Pease »

Room 20 - The Sentinel

**Boxed Text**
The walls of this chamber are carved with the images of dwarven and gnomish heroes, standing side by side atop mounds of dismembered undead. Behind them drift coils of dark smoke, some of which resemble bat-like wings.

Standing in the centre of the chamber is a bronze statue of a heavily armored bearded warrior. It is hard to determine whether it is a Dwarf or a Gnome, though it is certainly one or the other. The statue stands some seven feet high and it holds in its arms a mighty battle axe.
**End Boxed Text**

GM note. The statue is an Automaton set to guard this level against ingress from below. It will obey simple two word commands in the languages of Dwarves and Gnomes, such as "Guard, Halt" or Sentinel, Rest". It recognises Dwarves and Gnomes as friends, but will attack any other creatures unless commanded otherwise. The Automaton was constructed in this room and will not leave it.

The dwarves of the Silver Anvil League (level 2 - Room 25) have not ventured into this area of the dungeon so the Automaton is unknown to them.

Guard Automaton: AC 20, HD 5, #At 2 Axe arms, Dam 1d8/1d8, Mv 90' Sv F3, Ml 12, XP 405 HP 22 ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐☐☐ ☐☐

The secret exit on the South Wall is a bricked up doorway, and as such is easily detected but more difficult to open:

**Boxed Text**
As you examine the south wall you immediately notice a bricked-up doorway right in the middle of the wall. The bricks are gray, matching the color of the wall almost exactly, and the brickwork is of the highest quality; however, the frame of the door is still clearly visible.
**End Boxed Text**

It can be taken down in 1d3 turns if appropriate tools are at hand, such as picks, sledgehammers etc. Otherwise it will take 2d4 turns to open the wall. Rolls for random encounters should be made for each turn of demolition.

The stairs beyond connect directly to the 7th level, with no connections to any other levels.

Change log:
  • 2023-03-09: Edited by Solomoriah to add details about secret stairs.
That which does not kill you is likely to still hurt alot, so best avoid it if possible.
Rik Pease

Post by Rik Pease »

Room 18 - The Great Hall

**Boxed Text**
The Great Hall was clearly once a place of grandeur and opulence. Embroidered tapestries hang in faded tatters barely hiding the intricate stonework behind them.
Great carved arches strike upwards to frame the peeling frescos which cover the ceiling. Marble tiles lie cracked and broken on the once magnificent floor.
There are skeletons strewn about the Great Hall, some still wearing the remnants of armour and robes.
**End Boxed Text**

GM note: Hidden behind the tapestries are a group of Shadows. They use this room to ambush unsuspecting prey. The skeletons are unremarkable except for three which bear treasure (noted below).

5 Shadows: AC 13‡, HD 2*, #At 1, Dam 1d4 + 1 point strength loss, Mv 30', Sv F2, Ml 12, XP 100 ea. HP 9 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐
8 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐
9 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐
9 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐
7 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Three skeletons have items of value. A Shortsword +1, +2 vs Undead, a pouch containing 35 pp, 57 gp and a gem worth 150gp, and a Wand of Magic Missiles with 12 charges remaining.
Last edited by Rik Pease on Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
That which does not kill you is likely to still hurt alot, so best avoid it if possible.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't have a problem making changes to the map for you guys, but Rik, I'm going to need to see some reasoning before I hide all the level exits.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm @Solomoriah

I thought about something. Would it help having a master thread for Dungeon23? This is where the genral discussions would happen and where you could post and update the master file of the dungeon? We would still have the monthly threads to create the dungeon, but the announcements, guidelines, etc., could be posted in the master thread which would also be used for the reviewing process and discussions once the dungeon has been created.
Eventually I plan to roll them all up into a megathread for historical purposes. However, yeah, a "master control" thread might be good.

You want to start it? You've turned into the de facto coordinator for the project, after all.

BTW I may have forgotten to mention... the hidden stairs at #20 go down directly to level 7, with no connection to other levels.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I went ahead and edited the room 20 description to clarify the hidden exit situation. Your version was light on the details about the door, and inasmuch as I've never seen a bricked-over entrance that wasn't perfectly obvious, I've written it that way; given your description of the walls being carved with reliefs all over, I think it would be particularly hard to hide the door. However, feel free to revise my descriptions if you have a different approach in mind, as it is your room after all.
Rik Pease

Post by Rik Pease »

Hey Solo,

If the stairway in #20 goes straight to level 7 then it's perfect! I've been working towards a greater threat far down in the labyrinth.

I'll continue to write up #18 but will take out the hidden exits, no need for them now 😀
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Updated master post.

I also created the master thread for the project where document release and announcements will be made. Anything that pertains to the project on a broader level should be discussed there.