Monster creations

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
teaman

Re: Monster creations

Post by teaman »

miqued wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:40 pm I made this awhile ago and posted it on other socials, but this is a monster based on Teletubbies.

Mesmerbelly
I thought I was clever recognizing the source material, but then I saw you clearly said "Teletubbies" at the beginning.

Guess a little shot of humility is good for us all.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

Changing existing monsters:
Most of the listed tribal monsters are shown with a natural armour and the armour - and shield - that they would normally sport. However as you are wading through a tribe of them you may well come upon leaders and chieftains. These should be wearing better armour than the run-of-the-mill of their tribe. Give it to them! Even a couple of ticks of AC can make them a more formidable opponent.
Other monsters can be modified as well. I had a great idea for a dungeon side-bar centering around a carrion crawler (sic). The only problem was the PCs were all 2nd level. So the CC had been in a fight, had lost some of its hit points and was missing 5 of its 8 tentacles. Likewise a hill giant my low-level party encountered was missing an arm - so could only throw SMALL boulders.
Or how about a particularly large (full HP) hill giant with fire giant strength?
Change things up. When your players see the expected, put a twist in. Give them the unexpected. It puts a little more suspense in the game.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Adding Chieftains, Warriors, and similar monster "specializations" has been done on several monsters.
If you are referring to some specific monster lacking such change, feel free to post the variation.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
leon

Post by leon »

Legend tells of the profane experiments of the wizard Siahac, he who dwells in a black pyramid somewhere in the western peaks. Among his many inscrutable acts, one of the most amazing is the creation of the bestomper. He unleashed it upon an army of gnolls that approached his home. Bards in the taverns of St. Orlan still sing of how the creature that looked like a gigantic foot blasted the gnolls with various beams from its five eyes and stomped the rest into unidentifiable gore. When the battle finished, Siahac let the monster loose in the caverns under his black pyramid. Perhaps it torments the dwarves and goblins in their dim passages still.
See The Bestomper: A Bizarre Monster that Looks Like a Foot for the full description and stats.
Attachments
bestomper-1600.jpg
bestomper-1600.jpg (198.62 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Scholl the Healer attempts to calm the Beast while Akupunktur carefully applies pressure to alleviate its suffering.
leon

Post by leon »

Yes! I LOL'd.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I am definitely going to steal the Bestomper for my games! I will be selective with the group I unleash it on, as some won't appreciate it. I lost credibility with my Vampire Rabbits session.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

tkdco2 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:07 pm I am definitely going to steal the Bestomper for my games!
Yup. Know you players. Some of them have no sense of fun for vampire rabbits and giant fanged feet. :lol:
leon

Post by leon »

Here's another monster that's not as humorous.
“It shambled out of the swamp, muck dripping from its sole article of clothing, a loincloth held up by a fraying rope,” the old man began. “The stilted gate told me it wasn’t alive, then I looked at its face. The eyes were shut tight!” Thus began the tale of what we came to call the dormayvoo, a variety of zombie known for its sleepwalking appearance. Always, the eyes were shut, and while the arms moved with some uncertainty, we recognized a primitive intelligence driving it towards the closest living being. When victims were within reach, deadly blows rained down, swiftly sending even a stout fellow off into eternal night.
Whenever the dormayvoo lands a blow of its fist, the victim must save versus a magical sleep. Heroes of all levels may be affected by this magic, except that those of elvish blood are immune. Those unlucky enough to fall under the effect fall down as if dead. In fact, the victims appear indistinguishable from the dead. 1d4 rounds later, they rise up as dormayvoos themselves.
See The Dormayvoo: A Sleeping Zombie that Delivers Nightmares.
Attachments
dormayvoo-1600.jpg
dormayvoo-1600.jpg (376.01 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

I like my Reaper Miniatures. I have been using them to try to amass painted versions of all the stock FRP monsters. However there are some that come up that do not exist in any FRP game I've found. So I make up my own.
Reaper makes a delightfully ugly Rock Troll.
Rock Troll.jpg
Rock Troll.jpg (805.52 KiB) Viewed 972 times
TROLL, ROCK
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
NO. APPEARING: 1-6
ARMOR CLASS: 18
MOVE: 30'
HIT DICE: 8
To-Hit Bonus: +8
% IN LAIR: 40%
TREASURE TYPE: 2d6 Gems, roll for value at +10%.
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d6+6, 1d6+6; 1d12+2
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See Below.
SPECIAL DEFENSE: Regeneration.
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Save vs. spells of all types as a level 11 fighter.
INTELLIGENCE: Medium
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic.
SIZE: L (10’ tall)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

Rock trolls are cousins of the Troll family that prefer to live underground. They can, however, sometimes be found outdoors.
A rock troll attacks with two claws and a bite. It can attack 3 different opponents at once, although it prefers to focus on one target at a time.
Its regeneration repairs damage at 3 hit points per round at the beginning of the third round after it has been injured; this regeneration includes the rebonding of severed members. The loathsome members of a rock troll have the ability to fight on even if severed from the body.
Having lived underground for so long, rock trolls have developed a calcified exoskin that looks and feels like rock. As such, only blunt weapons – such as maces, clubs and hammers - will do them permanent damage. If struck by an edged weapon, they will only take at the most 1-2 points of permanent damage, strength bonus notwithstanding. They will take further damage (the magical bonus) if magic edged weapons are used, but only the magical part of the damage will be permanent.
In fact, if an adventurer with strength bonus uses an edged weapon on a rock troll and rolls a 1 on his to-hit roll, the weapon will have to save vs. crushing blow or break. Any magical bonuses of the weapon will be added to the die roll of the save.
When a rock troll is brought to below 1 hit point by a blunt weapon, it will shatter, sending pieces of rock in all directions. Characters must roll under their dexterity at +4 to the die roll or be struck by flying shards doing 1d6 damage.
When a rock troll disintegrates, and the detritus is investigated, it will be found that some of his rock-like composition was made up of 2-12 valuable gems. Roll for the value of each one (DMG P. 24), adding 10% to each roll.
It is also 10% likely that an exploding rock troll will drop a bladder full of liquid. This is a semi-permanent Potion of Regeneration, which will last for the drinker for d12 months.
Rock trolls are not harmed by fire or fire-based spells, but take double damage from electrical attacks.