Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by AlMan »

Boggo wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:18 pm
Solomoriah wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:11 pm Darn you, Schmidt!!!

:D

So now there will be an R129.
the blink dog one doesn't really need fixing since it actually says Blink Dog (Flicker Beast) and starts off with Blink dogs, sometimes known as Flicker beasts, but if you do feel the need to change it, just reversing the naming, making it Flicker Beast (Blink Dog) works (though does mean it needs to be moved in the monsters section I admit)
I think Thorin was pointing out the difference between the verbs 'know' and 'knows' within the sentence.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

so I now see, damn painkillers!
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Core Rules 4th Edition, Release 129 -- May 07, 2023
A couple of edits by Thorin Schmidt has resulted in yet another new Print Release Candidate. So, check it out!

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#corerules4
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

I have a question about the Monitor Lizard on Page 122.

The Hit Dice for the three types is: 3*, 5* and 7*.

However, the Saves are: Fighter: 3, Fighter: 4 and Fighter: 5. Generally the HD determines the Save level. Was this entry intentionally different?

Regardless, I believe that in this sentence:

"Huge monitors range from 8 to 11 feet in length. Their venom works faster than that of their smaller brethren; those bitten must save vs. Poison as +2 or suffer 1d6 points of damage each round for 2d4 rounds."

The word "as" should be "at"

I'm sorry for finding these so slowly. I'm encountering them as part of my Online Field Guide and Dungeon23 projects.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've corrected those items. I'll give it a day or two before releasing R130 in case more errors are found.
Mental Elf

Post by Mental Elf »

Probably not an error as such but thought I'd raise it. Under GHOUL it states they live on the flesh of dead humanoids, however in the last paragraph it says

"The newly-risen ghoul is
not under the control of any other ghouls, but hungers
for the ****flesh of the living**** and behaves like any other
ghoul in all respects."

It could be read that they will be so hungry on being "born" that living flesh is fine, even preferred, but it might also be read as an incongruent statement with the opening paragraph.

Anyway, nothing substantial but thought I'd mention as it made my OCD brain question the copy there.
Last edited by Mental Elf on Tue May 09, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Crocodiles: Page 75:

The first paragraph reads:
Crocodiles are large semiaquatic reptiles that live throughout the tropics. They are ambush predators, waiting for fish or land animals to come close...
I believe the punctuation should be: (size added for emphasis)

Crocodiles are large, semiaquatic reptiles that live throughout the tropics. They are ambush predators; waiting for fish or land animals to come close...
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Stegosarus: page 76:

As before, this might not be an error, just an anomaly. The stat block gives the stegosaurus 11+9 Hit Dice, but it only saves as Fighter: 6.

And in the description:
Although fearsome looking, the stegosaurus is actually a peaceable creature and will only fight in self-defense, either biting, trampling, or using its spiked tail, depending on where the opponent is standing in relation to the dinosaur.
should have this punctuation change: (Emphasis added)

Although fearsome-looking, the stegosaurus is actually a peaceable creature and will only fight in self-defense; either biting, trampling, or using its spiked tail, depending on where the opponent is standing in relation to the dinosaur.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mental Elf wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:02 am "The newly-risen ghoul is
not under the control of any other ghouls, but hungers
for the ****flesh of the living**** and behaves like any other
ghoul in all respects."

It could be read that they will be so hungry on being "born" that living flesh is fine, even preferred, but it might also be read as an incongruent statement with the opening paragraph.
Good point.

So now you need to PM me your credits name as you want it to appear in the Core Rules. Welcome to the proofing team... :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thorin, regarding the crocodiles: The comma is optional in that usage, and I prefer not to use it. The semicolon is not correct in that usage at all.

For the stegosaurus, the lower saving throws are intentional. I suspect I've "fixed" some that were intentional but I forgot my intent... gah.

The hyphen in the stegosaurus text is in fact missing, and I've added it. The semicolon is incorrect in that usage.

The deal with semicolons is like this, according to Indiana University of Pennsylvania (yeah, it's real apparently):
Use a semicolon between closely related independent clauses which are not joined by a coordinating conjunction. This rule means that semicolons are used between two complete sentences which are not already linked by words like and, but, or, nor, for, so, yet.
The trailing bits after your suggested semicolons are not complete sentences by themselves.