Chrysogon's Coterie - 288 NPCs for your Campaign

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
toddlyons

Re: Chrysogon's Coterie - 288 NPCs for your Campaign

Post by toddlyons »

I actually prefer the sound of "Undead Control" but the Rules are the rules.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Bah. The words are interchangeable. Write them either way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Thanks Todd for reviewing my changes so quickly. I didn't submit it, but I did attempt to add the table of contents. But what I got was using all the wrong styles with a one column layout. I'll leave it to the expert LibreOffice wranglers to create a TOC with the right styling. Now that I've added the outline levels to the various heading styles (for the PDF bookmarks), it should be easier to control the TOC depth. Levels and classes will fit easily onto a single two-column page. If you add character names it will likely need more pages.
I'm also on RPGG
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:18 pm Bah. The words are interchangeable. Write them either way.
I might switch them back then.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

JugglinDan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:18 am Thanks Todd for reviewing my changes so quickly.
Thank you, Daniel, for plowing through all that. And you did manage to do it in a week. :shock:
JugglinDan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:18 am I'll leave it to the expert LibreOffice wranglers to create a TOC with the right styling.
Always good advice. I tried to begin a character index in r1. It was scrubbed out because I was doing it completely wrong.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I'm checking out r22 to fold in AB and revert some potion names.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Release 23 (development version) is now attached to the first message. Track Changes are on.

Please quote this message if you download it to run a pass, so we know it's checked out.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Regarding the cross-reference entries, I think it would cool if the names were a clickable link in the PDF. I know how to do this in the LaTeX documents I use, and I think it's the sort of thing that LibreOffice could do. I would need to RTFM though, both to make it work if possible, and to make sure it had no impact on the visual style when printed. Again, I know this is something that PDF can support. I have PDF documents where hyperlinks show with link styles but print as plain text. Just need to RTFM and experiment with LibreOffice.

Much like the bookmarks, I'll experiment first. So not checking out r22 for revision :)
I'm also on RPGG
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Ok, I've done a small experiment with LibreOffice. It is possible to use internal hyperlinks so each cross-reference to another character becomes a hyperlink in the PDF that takes the reader directly to the referenced character. To retain control over the link text, the Insert Hyperlink feature must be used, not Insert Cross-reference. Additionally, to maintain the correct visual appearance, you need to edit the Internet Link and Visited Internet Link character styles. In my test, I set these styles to be black text for both, Adventure BF font, and a single underline. You can omit the underline but then there is no visual indication at all of the functionality. Unfortunately, while I know that PDF supports hyperlink styles that appear in the PDF but are not rendered when printing, I don't know how to convince LibreOffice to add that information to the PDF (I've only done it from LaTeX documents).

There is no automation, so each link would need to be done manually. But it would greatly improve utility of the PDF edition with optionally no impact at all (or minor changes if you use the underline on the link style) on the print edition.

I can upload a test r23a with a few links added if you want to have a look at the result first.
I'm also on RPGG
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I'd like Solo to weigh in, seeing as the plan is for this to be printed eventually. But a test of a few links seems harmless.