Any Experience with Domain Games in OSRs?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Kane

Any Experience with Domain Games in OSRs?

Post by Kane »

I'm looking for a domain game rule set to 'bolt on' to BFRPG, in part to have some mass combat encounters before they become 9th level, and to explore domains as lords once they reach it.

The simplest option I have is to use Dark Dungeons' straightforward little system to run Domains.

More complex would be ACKS, which I have never used in play. It has actual battle maps and so forth, but I am not sure if I want to go that route - even though war gaming is a part of the campaign, I am not using miniatures for combat and I don't really want to handle troops like a minifig game.

I also have 0 Edition Delta's Rules of War and An Echo Resounding (Scarlet Heroes/Labyrinth Lord).

When I've run them in the past it's been a cobbled together hybrid of 1e

Do you folks have recommendations on a Domain Game and troop combat system to best pair with BFRPG? A lot of OSRs don't really seem to touch on that aspect.

Addendum:
I sat down and read some of my books and a few free examples I found. An Echo Resounding for Labyrinth Lord seems to be just what I want. I like the Sine Nomine hex crawl book, and Scarlet Heroes. Many of my 0e and ACKS books were tied to minis/hex chits, and the ACKS economy in case of their domain management. AER is designed for a BX Simulacrum already (as opposed to some others), and is more top down than ACKS. It gives me tools for flushing out Morgansfort and Slateholm to serve as background events, and eventually domain stuff.

I've selected the area around Morgansfort (broken into 3m hexes, roughly 100m across overall) for the location of initial campaign focus. Morgansfort is the central location, there is a fortified town, and, why not, Kendall Keep from B2 - as well as a number of caves and ruins. I'll use some hex crawl systems to fill out the details and generate wilderness encounters as needed. If the players venture further later on I can use Red Tide or whatever mini-modules to fill it out until I create some political and setting locations for it.

I'll be looking at the Morgansfort and Kendall forces to decide how to rate them as military structures and armies in AER