Nekron99's Encounters/Maps

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Nekron99

Nekron99's Encounters/Maps

Post by Nekron99 »

This encounter was for my newest campaign. 1st and 2nd Level characters, in a borderland town.
One of the players wanted to play just a normal human man, a cook to be precise. He had a friend (another character) who was an elven FTR/MU, and his associate, a Monk (based off my own version of the monk class that can still be found somewhere on this forum).
For these characters, all of the character development was handled with just free form discussion, as well as the initial start to the adventure. When asked what his cook wanted to do for the day, he said that he wanted to head up into the hills around the town to see if he could get some free herbs and meat for his little shop. While there, he encountered a bunch of sneaky goblins who were spying on the town. They captured him after a very brief fight (the cook was armed with a knife and some rock-hard biscuits). They took him back to their hidey hole to interrogate him and see if he was worth asking a ransom for, but in the meantime his friends found out about his trip and went looking for him. They followed the goblins tracks and encountered the cave.

Note: That Giant Shrew has the potential to really mess up a small or inexperienced group. My players are all veteran players, and they had a decent plan for entering the cave but were still very surprised by the animal. Only the use of a sleep spell saved the day.

This introductory encounter was a lead into a few things in my campaign. Any Dwarven characters would have been told that it is common practice to put a hidden cache under the statues, with any helpful items that could be spared. The Black Fangs tribe plays a big part in upcoming adventures in the area and the gold nuggets are a lead in to the "Gold in the Hills" adventure in the Adventure Anthology 1 book.
Attachments
Goblin waypost.png
Goblin waypost.png (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Goblin Waypost.odt
(92.93 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Last edited by Nekron99 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
Nekron99

Encounter for levels 2-4

Post by Nekron99 »

This one is a small Lizard Man lair. It can be part of an ongoing campaign or just something to toss in as a random encounter as the Characters pass through a swampy area.

A large party may have too easy a time with this one, but a small solo or 2-3 Character group should be sufficiently challenged.

In my campaign, the Shaman's name is Silver Tooth (he has a silver tooth ya see), and the tribe is called The Trident. Assuming they open non hostile relations with the Shaman, and let the tribe leave for their new home, they will eventually have a helping hand in a coming war down in the larger swamps to the south. A Naga is attempting to gather forces for a war against the humans and Silver Tooth may come in handy as a friend when that happens.
But this will not happen for quite awhile.
Attachments
Lizardman Lair.png
Lizardman Lair.png (150.59 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
Lizard man lair.odt
(169.81 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by Nekron99 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nekron99

Encounter for levels 2-4

Post by Nekron99 »

This encounter involves Giant Black Widow Spiders. Two of them.
The DM must pay close attention to the fact that the poison for a Giant Black Widow Spider is Save or Die at -2. So this encounter should probably only be used for a prepared party or one that has some means to halt the poison.

In my game I have these spiders in the woods between Morgansfort and the Old Island Fortress. But the guards in Morgansfort warn the players about them and advise them to stay far from the woods. If they choose not to heed that advice, then...welcome to Old School.

Also a side note: The elven thief that is dead and cocooned by the spiders is the same elf that purchased the small building next to the Tavern and warehouse. He built the secret passage into the warehouse as well and then left for an adventure and, well we now know...the rest of the story.
Attachments
1666498399.44.png
1666498399.44.png (227.3 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Spider Encounter.odt
(230.07 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by Nekron99 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toddlyons

Re: Nekron99's Encounter Scenario for levels 2-4

Post by toddlyons »

Nekron99 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:33 am and, well we now know...the rest of the story.
Impossible to read this phrase without hearing Paul Harvey's voice in my head. :lol:
Nekron99

Tribute Map

Post by Nekron99 »

OK this one is not an Encounter, but more of a tribute map for those who remember the old Holmes sample dungeon included in the blue book.
The room descriptions can be found in there as well.
Attachments
Dungeon of Zenobius.jpg
Dungeon of Zenobius.jpg (622.95 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Nekron99

Encounter for Levels 5-6

Post by Nekron99 »

Here is a nice short little encounter for a group running through a mountain pass.
A low-level group could be given warnings about the pass being dangerous due to wolves and other monsters and let them decide if they wish to travel alone, or they could have overheard a group of adventurers telling a tale of their lost companion (a Mage with some powerful magic items) that was lost in the mountains to a troll.
Attachments
Troll Bridge.jpg
Troll Bridge.jpg (128.47 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Troll Bridge.odt
(145.21 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Nekron99

Old Dwarven Mine from "Gold in the Hills"

Post by Nekron99 »

This is a Mapmatic version of the map for the Adventure Anthology 1 scenario of "Gold in the Hills" by Ray Allen. I needed a cleaner version for a run through in my campaign.
For the actual Adventure see the Adventure Anthology 1 (AA1) and as always all these maps are in the public section of Mapmatic.
Attachments
Old Dwarven Mine.jpg
Old Dwarven Mine.jpg (361.75 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Nekron99

Ruin of Darkfir Castle

Post by Nekron99 »

Here is my redo of the Adventure Anthology 1 scenario for "Ruin of Darkfir Castle" by Onno Tasler.
A great little intro adventure that needed an updated map.
Attachments
Darkfir Castle cellers.png
Darkfir Castle cellers.png (24.92 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Darkfir Castle 1st level.png
Darkfir Castle 1st level.png (180.54 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
tkdco2

Re: Nekron99's Encounters/Maps

Post by tkdco2 »

Good stuff, Nekron99! Ruins of Darkfir Castle sorely needed a better map. I had imagined everything as part of the same structure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Nekron99's Encounters/Maps

Post by Solomoriah »

Glad I saw this! Darkfir needs maps badly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org