Season 2 - Episode 3: Abraham Hall

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

_Silveredged

Re: Season 2 - Episode 3: Abraham Hall

Post by _Silveredged »

Leolannan brings up the rear of the party using his long spear as a walking staff, wincing with pain from his recent wounds as he walks along. Despite not being in a wooded countryside, he is no less aware of his surroundings as the group follows their guide.
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Startled by a noise from his right, Doughbert whips out his sword and jumps behind Mandross screaming, "Kill It!!!" His head whirls in every direction looking for the attackers, but sees only a cat with a struggling rat in its claws and a filled night bucket spilled out sideways from where the cat knocked it over in its lunge.
JoeCarr28

Blocked, Barged and Cursed-at

Post by JoeCarr28 »

“Oh … err … alright then lads … be seeing you then,” shouts Shaw above the general hubbub as you gather your gear and disembark from the wagons. “No … keep your money … the trip’s on me this time. I won’t even charge Master Doughbert for the straw he soiled with his … err .. blood. Well, you know, having said that, perhaps a couple coppers, wouldn't go amiss ...

Shaw’s voice quickly fades as you head into the depths of the city on the heels of your guide.

Despite the crowded streets, your new associate sets a cracking pace. He seems to have a sixth sense with respect to the oncoming pedestrians and traffic, cutting his way through the throng like a hot knife through butter. You, on the other hand, find yourselves perpetually blocked, barged and cursed-at as you struggle to keep up. Clumsy Benoni, who struggles to stay upright even on deserted roads, has an absolute nightmare.

After a frustrating and exhausting half hour of walking/running, you find yourselves standing at the front door of a large house in what is clearly one of the more affluent parts of the city. Your companion knocks and awaits a response from within …

Doughbert: 4/5
Leo: HP 3/11
Nivek: HP 7/11. Spells remaining: no 1st level; four 0 level.
~5 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

doughbert awaits a response from within …
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

You hear footsteps approach the other side of the door ...

(Sorry, I know my previous post left you in a kind of limbo, but I was a bit pushed for time. Another hectic day again today. Don't worry the basilisk/storm giant/spectre will answer the door very shortly ...)
JoeCarr28

The Stone of Elgren

Post by JoeCarr28 »

After what seems like an eternity, the front door of the large house opens and a similarly smartly dressed servant beckons you inside. You're led along an opulently decorated hallway to a large study on the ground floor. The walls of the study are hung with portraits, hunting trophies and framed certificates, and the floor is covered with a large ornate rug.

Abraham Hall sits behind a vast mahogany desk, toying with a jewelled paper knife. He looks you up and down, and then begins. “Good evening gentlemen and thank you for coming. I hope we can do some profitable business together.”

In a cautious tone he continues. “As you may be aware, the house of Hall is engaged in trading and other activities at a number of levels, and we would be most unhappy if our dealings with certain of our agents and contacts were to be made public. Accordingly, I must insist that our business is conducted in the utmost secrecy.”

He pauses significantly whilst this sinks in.

“A certain gemstone has appeared in the city. I won't bore you with the details, except to say that it was acquired on behalf of the house of Hall by a group of people vulgarly known as the Weir Gang, who have so far failed to make delivery. You are to recover the stone from them and deliver it here by dawn tomorrow. Like many great stones, there are several legends and superstitions attached to the gem. It is said to have come from a ring worn by a deity called Elgren and to carry a highly infectious rotting disease that infects all who handle it. I set no store by these superstitions, but in case there is any substance behind them, you will take this” - he pushes an elaborately carved wooden box across the desk - “and use it to carry the stone. It has been enchanted to suppress the magic of anything inside for precisely 12 hours. That should give you adequate time to deliver the stone here. You will set out at nightfall, and I will have you guided to one of the entrances to an area of the city known as The Warren, which is where the Weir Gang have their base and where I believe the stone to be located. Now, are there any questions?”

~6 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Yes, how far to the nearest Temple of Locke and can I get their by nightfall?"
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

...and to carry a highly infectious rotting disease that infects all who handle it...
"I believe we have already come upon some who have been around this stone," Leo says, "Just a few miles from this city we were ambushed by a group, all of whom seemed to suffer from the same mysterious malady. As to how infectious it is, we have yet to see, but I would be remiss if i did not inquire as to the nearest location of a healer's temple, in addition to Master Locke's of course," he gives a nod to Doughbert. "If we are indeed to handle this matter of business by dawn tomorrow, we are already at a disadvantage as some of our number are injured, or at the very least, spent from the fight to enter the city safely. We would require rest and the accompanying healing prior to being at maximum effectiveness to secure your property quickly, efficiently, and quietly."
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
JoeCarr28

Temples

Post by JoeCarr28 »

"I've never heard of this Master Lock you mention, but most of the temples are in the south-western part of the city," (you are currently, as far as you can ascertain, somewhere in the north-east). "I doubt that you could make it there and back by nightfall. However, perhaps I could summon my physician to tend to your wounds before you leave for The Warren. Now, are there any further questions?"

~6 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

_Silveredged wrote:
...and to carry a highly infectious rotting disease that infects all who handle it...
"I believe we have already come upon some who have been around this stone," Leo says, "Just a few miles from this city we were ambushed by a group, all of whom seemed to suffer from the same mysterious malady.
Abraham Hall frowns at Leo with a disbelieving look on his face.