AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Post by Solomoriah »

I've revised the NPC generator to follow the style guide a little better. Not happy with it yet but it's better.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
leon

Post by leon »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:26 pm I've revised the NPC generator to follow the style guide a little better. Not happy with it yet but it's better.
Nice!
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:26 pm I've revised the NPC generator to follow the style guide a little better. Not happy with it yet but it's better.
Great! It's a handy tool that I'd like to use again for future projects. The randomness made for good writing prompts. Some ability balances made me have to think about things like: why on earth did this guy with Fighter stats decide to be a Magic-User?

Edit: It is much improved. It doesn't list abilities if the score is 9-12, so I had to make those up when I used it.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:45 am More art and some more edits are still needed though.
(see error below)
AlMan wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:43 pm Took a quick look for this and it is still not fixed Page 15 and Page 16 Maps are not numbered correctly has repeat room numbers. Maps will probably need to be redone. I'll take a better look at it after Todd has done his pass on it.
Hi Al,

I tried to attach my revision for your pass, but received an error:

Code: Select all

Error: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
Todd
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:26 pm Not happy with it yet but it's better.
Another quirk that I noticed is the way that light is treated between Clerics and Magic-Users, and now that I've seen the Python script on GitHub, I understand.

For Clerics, it appears once as light*, whereas for Magic-Users it's listed twice as light and darkness, with no asterisk indicating reversibility.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

toddlyons wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 pm Release 11 notes:

It still needs a sturdy search and replace for all weapon types and phrases like "Potion of" and "Scroll of" etc. Because the NPC Generator capitalizes all spells and equipment, I went through the same thing with the otherwise-awesome things it spit out for my book. Many rounds of phrase searches got most of them, but there are still a couple I missed. Fortunately, the more you get, the more the missed ones stick out.

Just a few I found in AA3 r11 with a quick search:

p. 8 - Snake Man Priest, Equipment: fix Plate Armor +1 and Daggers +1
p. 9 - Treasure list: fix Broad Sword +1 and remaining 8 items ending with Girdle of Giant Strength
p 25 - Treasure: fix Chainmail +1, Potion of Heroism, Scroll of Protection from Magic, and 1 Short Bow Arrow +5
p 19, 47, 48, 60, 63, 70, 74, 75, 91, 92, 96, 138, 140, 141, 149, 150: Potion of...
p 63, 110, 118, 119, 137: Scroll of...
p 70 - Branislav Finley (Vampire): Chain Mail +2, Map to Type E treasure, Potion of Clairvoyance, Potion of Delusion (Speed), Potion of Speed
p 74 - SECRET TREASURY: Chainmail +1
p 118-119 - (NPCs) over half the magic items are capitalized

Happy to have a pass at it if it helps. I am very warmed up from the week that was.
Per the Style Guide, magical items should be bold and capitalized. All of these that you've pointed out are correct, at least to my eyes and what we've published so far. The NPC generator being updated to not capitalize magical/treasure conflicts with the Style Guide.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

chiisu81 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:26 pm
toddlyons wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 pm p 25 - Treasure: fix Chainmail +1,
p 74 - SECRET TREASURY: Chainmail +1
All of these that you've pointed out are correct, at least to my eyes and what we've published so far.
I shouldn't work when I'm sick. Sorry.

I guess that just leaves the references to Chainmail? It's 'Chain Mail' in the source books.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

toddlyons wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:21 pmEdit: It is much improved. It doesn't list abilities if the score is 9-12, so I had to make those up when I used it.
These aren't actually needed for NPCs. The generator wasn't intended for use creating PCs, so I intentionally omitted that.

Light / darkness should be handled the same for both classes. Reversible spells are meant to be listed as the character has prepared them, so the cleric approach is actually correct for both.

BTW I am NOT proud of those scripts. They are some of the oldest Python code I wrote, and I made rather a hash of it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

chiisu81 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:26 pmPer the Style Guide, magical items should be bold and capitalized. All of these that you've pointed out are correct, at least to my eyes and what we've published so far. The NPC generator being updated to not capitalize magical/treasure conflicts with the Style Guide.
To be honest, I wasn't sure I remembered right. I should have looked. Sorry man. Will fix it. Only spell lists should be lower-cased.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 pm BTW I am NOT proud of those scripts. They are some of the oldest Python code I wrote, and I made rather a hash of it.
Good or bad, they made my book much less difficult to complete. I'm glad they were there. But I did generate the other stats just so there would be an option to convert the resulting NPCs to pregens if the GM permits.