CS2 The Dark Temple

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

CS2 The Dark Temple

Post by Solomoriah »

Edit: This is now on the Downloads page - https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#cs2

A temple, ancient and crumbling, haunted by some eldritch horror...

Yes, it's time for another Basic Fantasy Project Contest! These maps depict an adventure area called The Dark Temple; also attached to this post is a document, the Dark Temple Entry. The winner receives $25.00! Some restrictions apply, of course; the full rules will be posted below.

ERRATA FOR THE ENTRY:

The entry document had a few mistakes in the first releases; if you've already started with an older Entry, you don't need to start over, just note the following changes:

R2: The original Entry had room 14 listed on the middle level rather than the upper level; please correct this in your copy if you are using that version. Also, the pit in 16a has a secret door at the bottom leading to area 21; the following text was added to the Entry to explain it:
16a. The entire floor of this closet is a hidden pit trap. A secret door at the bottom of the pit connects to room 21.
R3: The 5' pit in area 18 is 40' deep before expanding to a 10' cubical space, not 50' as listed in the Entry. The TOTAL drop from 18 to the cubical room is 50'.

Upper Level
Upper Level forum.png
Upper Level forum.png (46.64 KiB) Viewed 11724 times

Middle Level
Middle Level forum.png
Middle Level forum.png (15.05 KiB) Viewed 11440 times

Room 17 and 18 Detail
Room 17 and 18 Detail forum.png
Room 17 and 18 Detail forum.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 11439 times

Lower Level
Lower Level forum.png
Lower Level forum.png (30.85 KiB) Viewed 11414 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Temple

Post by Solomoriah »

Contest Rules

You should use the entry document (attached to the post above) as your starting point. Fill in the key given there in the same style as our other adventures. Don't sweat it if the formatting gives you some trouble; the production team will work it all out after you submit the adventure.

You may edit any of the text in the introduction above as you see fit; however, your adventure must fulfill the following writing prompt:

A temple, ancient and crumbling, haunted by some eldritch horror...

"Horror" may be plural, at your option.

The dungeon has three levels: The upper level, i.e. the crumbling temple; the middle level, consisting of several rooms that actually span several "levels" vertically; and the lower level, where the really creepy and/or nasty stuff probably lives. You may not change the map. If you submit an adventure with the map changed, it will be disqualified. You may, however, "dress" the map in the sense that you may describe object, furnishings, etc. in the room that are not drawn there, even including things such as chests, altars, or statues that would usually be depicted on the map, but not including doors, walls, and so on.

Create your adventure key for a group of 4 to 8 player characters. You may specify whatever range of levels of ability you wish; please update the "A" and "B" on the title page to reflect your choice.
Submit your adventure by adding it to this contest thread.

The winner will be chosen by an open vote on the forum. All forum members will be able to cast a vote over a period of one week. A single winner will be chosen to receive $25.00 via Paypal; in the event that it is not possible to award the prize to the winner directly, he or she may choose to have the payment made to another person who is eligible to receive it.

This contest is open to all, including Basic Fantasy forum moderators. However, moderators are not eligible to receive the prize money. In the event that a moderator wins the contest, the prize money will be awarded to the highest-placing non-moderation-staff participant.

The primary deadline is October 4, 2019. In the event that no submissions are received by that deadline, the contest will be canceled; if there is only one contender on that date, the deadline will be extended to November 1, 2019. If the second date arrives with no more than one submission, the contest will be canceled and no prize will be awarded.

All submissions will be considered by Chris Gonnerman for inclusion in the final Dark Temple adventure module; while no submission is guaranteed to be included, the winner is almost certain to appear. All entries must be full Open Game Content, as is normal for our publications; any submission that is not fully OGC will be disqualified.

As a final note: All maps presented here are at the standard 1 square = 10 feet scale.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The roof of the sanctuary (13) was wooden, with wooden shakes (shingles); it has rotted away almost completely, leaving the entire space open to the sky. The roof over the foyer (2) is the same material, but more of it still stands, though with a few large holes in it; the frame supporting the roof over the wings is stone, being the buttresses that support the sanctuary walls, and for that reason the roofing there is mostly intact if more than a little leaky.

The stairs go down to a second and then a third level, the maps of which are coming soon.

The temple stands on a rocky prominence overlooking the sea, a week's ride north of Slateholm. Once long ago a thriving town was nearby, and the townsfolk came to the temple to give tribute to the sea god; but the town was overrun in the first Goblin War, and the temple sacked and turned into a hobgoblin fortress. After the hobgoblins were vanquished, the temple lay empty most of a hundred years before, according to rumors, another priesthood came to the temple and began repairing it. But these priests were secretive and more than a little ominous, and those trappers and hunters who frequented the region gave the temple a wide berth. Over the next few years, the priests were seen less and less, until finally all assumed they had died out.

Lately, though, strange tales have begun to circulate about things half-seen within the temple, or lurking in the woods nearby...
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Perchance this could be the start of a "Temple by the Sea" anthology?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You nailed it, Al. The Dark Temple will be our third contest. I'm going to put together my "sample" keying of the dungeon, along with the maps, and then in September I'm going to open the contest up to our members. As before, the forum members will vote on the winner, and all valid submissions will go into a multimodule. At this point I don't believe the Pit will ever be ready for "prime time" so I'm expecting this will be published as CS2 The Dark Temple.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

This is very intriguing. Hopefully I can come up with an idea or two before time for submissions.
I've never submitted anything for BFRPG before. Where can I find information about the correct formatting, etc.?

EDIT: I can't believe I never noticed the Adventure Template thread before. D'oh! Sorry.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yes, my sig has links to the adventure template and style guide. And of course we're always happy to help with any submissions!
I'm also already coming up with ideas for this map. I do still hold out hope of the current CS2 being eventually finished...
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Very cool... this here newb wants to submit something too! :)
I've already got some temple-ish ideas and will check out the style guide and template.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

There are two more maps coming, but probably not until Monday at the earliest.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Just a couple quick questions (as somebody fairly new to this):
1.) What are the objects on the map in areas 3, 4, and 5?
2.) How closely do we need to stick to the established backstory for this temple?
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II