Season 1 - Episode 6: The Bandit Caves

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Joe the Rat

Re: Season 1 - Episode 6: The Bandit Caves

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross sets the wicked oil jar just inside the junction - in case they still need to fling flaming death unto interlopers. "Well, that went better than expected. Let's hope they err on the side of not getting shot, and stay gone." Heeding Master Tooms' words, he stops to think. "Risk a cave known to others, or risk travel in the woods by night? A difficult conundrum... I have spent enough time in this dismal pit as is, but at least here the risks are known, and we'd be better suited to travel after a meal and rest. But your enemies (and my erstwhile jailers) - what is left of them - know where we are. They may try to sneak in, or they may set an ambush somewhere. If we are to leave, I'd rather like to see what's behind the door our prisoners were guarding first. Unless you have the key, we'll need the services of a burglar, or perhaps a battering ram."

While the others start working on their various tasks, Mandross will keep watch at the intersection, and take a moment to transfer the maps he acquired to his map case for safer keeping. If anyone cares to go after our mysterious door, he will tag along.
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

Evening in the Caves

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:Seeing the door close, Paladin will hurry his little feet and move up to the now-closed door. He'll press his ear to the wood and try to hear what is going on behind it.
[Rolls]. Paladin can just make out the receding sound of footsteps. After a minute or so, they're no longer discernible. It would seem that the remaining bandits have taken their chance to leave the caves with their lives.

Birthright wrote:Tannen will head outside to let Alma/Hiker know that the bandits have retreated and the caverns are safe. He'll try and talk them in to staying in the caves, given that it will soon be night time and they'll get lost in the woods with lots of nocturnal animals (wolves or worse) if they try and head home right now.
So, Hiker, what are you going to do ... do you plan to strike for home immediately, regardless of whether the other party members plan to stay the night in the caves or not, or will you go along with the majority?

Birthright wrote:Tannen will lead the horses inside and see that they are secured in the stables. Then he'll look for food, etc. and tend to his wounded companions, before returning to feed and water the horses. At some stage, Tannen will check out Morward's sword and armour and will question the captive bandits about why they were holding Alma, and what plans they had for her.
Tannen stables the horses and finds food and water for both the party, and your new four-legged friends, in the storeroom to the north-west.

Having tended to everyone's needs, Tannen returns to Morward's body to investigate the sword and armour. Although no real expert, it is clear to Tannen that both are of superior quality to those that he has at the moment. The sword feels exceptionally well-balanced with a razor-sharp blade. The chain mail armour, which Morward is still wearing, looks like it would fit Tannen, Karl or Hiker.

Questioning the imprisoned bandits largely confirms Morward's story from earlier in the day. They stumbled across the goblin wolf-riders in the forest, killed one of them and took Alma. Their only plan was to try and extract as much money from someone for her safe return.

Joe the Rat wrote:While the others start working on their various tasks, Mandross will keep watch at the intersection, and take a moment to transfer the maps he acquired to his map case for safer keeping. If anyone cares to go after our mysterious door, he will tag along.
The following gives you a flavour of the bandit's maps ...
2011-11-22 - Marketstone & Environs - Sepia.JPG
2011-11-22 - Marketstone & Environs - Sepia.JPG (310.6 KiB) Viewed 10946 times

So, it's decision time - are you going to stay the night in the caves, or venture into the forest (either to camp, head to the old man's cave, or leave directly for Northridge Farm)? If you're going to stay in the caves, where are you going to base yourselves?

And, in either case, are you going to do any further exploration in the caves tonight?

Doughbert: HP -1/5 (stabilised). No '0' level spells remaining today.
Hiker: HP 9/9.
Karl: HP -2/8 (stabilised).
Mandross: HP 4/5. 2 '0' level and no 1st level spells remaining today.
Nivek: HP 6/7. 1 '0' level spell remaining today.
Paladin: HP 3/4.
Tannen: HP 5/9.
~7.00 pm, 28th day of Harvestide.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin will collect what horses he can and put them in the stables, avoiding Morward's body. He'll then question the bandits about their names and past, ask where the food in this joint is kept, and where any secret passages are. He'll also ask where the treasure is kept.

Paladin has a long list of things to do before he sleeps, top of which is to find some drink and drink. Food and drink he means.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:Paladin will collect what horses he can and put them in the stables, avoiding Morward's body. He'll then question the bandits about their names and past, ask where the food in this joint is kept, and where any secret passages are. He'll also ask where the treasure is kept.

Paladin has a long list of things to do before he sleeps, top of which is to find some drink and drink. Food and drink he means.
(I think our last posts must have crossed - some of your actions have already been dealt with by Tannen, particularly the horses and the food. I guess Paladin may wish to revisit the food though :) ).

Questioning the bandits about the treasure, they direct you to the locked door to the south-west.
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

Hiker looks to Miss Alma, "Night is coming on fast, Miss Alma. Me might just find a room to keep safe in until dawn when we can go home. The bad men are gone, dead, or locked up. At least you won't be in a nasty cage, right Miss Alma?"

ooc: if she is agreeable, we spend the night. if not, we leave and Hiker will ask Mr. Barnaby Bear to take them to the old man.
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek will work to stage our gear and collected materials near the horses so that we can get up and go quickly without forgetting anything. "Well, we have wounds to tend and need a good rest before heading back out... I will take first watch unless anyone has other ideas.?"

While on first watch (assumption) Nivek will provide a "Meal Blessing (orison)" over our meal to assist everyone with 1 hp of healing... and Nivek attends to his other prayers during the watch when he can, pacing the area that we camp and otherwise keeping a vigilant watch. [edited for Meal Blessing instead of Cure Minor Wounds]

Assuming this amounts to a proper rest, and we get the benefits of any leveling, Nivek will pray for the additional assistance of a "Cure Light Wounds (1st level spell)". And, if there was any Dwarf-sized armor in the place, Nivek will inspect it for possible use (especially if better protection than the leathers he currently wears). edit: Character Sheet post updated for 2nd level except HP.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

(I would actually suggest doing the meal blessing rather than a cmw, if we have the resources, and the stabilized wounded can eat. That'd put everyone up a point. We should set a single, defensible location for “camp”. Either the cave front or Morward's quarters sound good to me)

Mandross will help with getting the wounded moved to wherever the party decides to set camp. He will also ask after the keys – there may be one for that locked door, and he’d appreciate a little recompense for his pain and suffering.

In lending a hand, he will introduce himself again a bit more casually, and try to learn a few names and back stories… “So you came out here to rescue our dear Miss Alma? Excellent. Though I will admit this has been helpful to me as well, and I appreciate your help in my release. Your band is quite a colorful and diverse group, particularly for a town like Marketstone. How did you come together?”

If the fact that they are getting paid comes up: “Ah, that explains much. If a prize is on the line, you really should all go together. I do not doubt the honor (or lack of duplicity, rather) on the part of young Mr. Hiker, but one should always be cautious when someone is paying a prize – they may decide first-come, first-serve, and keep the difference themselves.”

After checking the locked room, if the others want to search and clean up the place a bit (or at least pick the bodies clean of valuables), he’ll lend a hand. He’ll also grab any ink and blank paper lying around – that stuff’s not cheap, you know. If needed, Mandross will volunteer for final watch. He'll need his sleep if he's going to put anyone else to Sleep tomorrow.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:(I would actually suggest doing the meal blessing rather than a cmw, if we have the resources, and the stabilized wounded can eat. That'd put everyone up a point. We should set a single, defensible location for “camp”. Either the cave front or Morward's quarters sound good to me)
Good Call, on meal blessing. Nivek will do that.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

(OOC: after eating the blessed meal doughbert will be at 0 hp. Will he be back to operating normally or is that still barely mobile?)
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:(OOC: after eating the blessed meal doughbert will be at 0 hp. Will he be back to operating normally or is that still barely mobile?)
0 hp is still barely mobile. Your hit points must be greater than zero to leave your critically wounded state.