First Characters

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Arjuna Zaulyl

First Characters

Post by Arjuna Zaulyl »

I was reading something posted in another thread that got me to thinking about my first character. I was hoping that others would think it cool to share there experiences with their first characters.

My first character was a Paladin. I wanted to be a holy warrior that would smite evil. I think the biggest reasons were because of all the King Arthur stuff my dad had me watch when I was younger and the fact that as a Christian I kept hearing about how "EVIL" D&D was. I figured if I played as a true good guy then that would justify my playing the game to my mom so she would have to worry. I never found anything evil about it by the way.

Well anyway his name was Dorgo. Totally lame and of course everyone called him Dorko. But I remember getting my Holy Avenger. It was glorious. I remember getting my bonded war horse mount. The DM really made both things special for me and my character. As I write this I can even remember the smell of the guys basement where we always played. Good times.
dymondy2k

Re: First Characters

Post by dymondy2k »

Mine was a Dwarven Fighter with the original name of Thorin. He made it all the way to level 13 before I retired him to his stronghold in the Iron Hills to run his father's kingdom. We had some good times with my group back then. Out of all the memories I have of him, its funny the one that sticks in my mind is him opening a half open door and having a bucket of acid spill on his head. It almost killed him and he bore the scars the rest of his life.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Arjuna Zaulyl

Post by Arjuna Zaulyl »

That is awesome. I remember my Holy Avenger thought it was smarter then me. It was vary arogant. It got us into some trouble a few times.

Its sad we had an evangelist come to our church and all my buddies decided that God didnt want them to play anymore so they burned all their books along with my character. I was pretty pissed. I had him up to level 16 if I remember right.
Baldheaded-Yeti

Post by Baldheaded-Yeti »

1980...Half-orc fighter/thief, I was in a party with a paladin who hated my orc's guts.
I swear to this day he had me done in by "accident".
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Arjuna Zaulyl

Post by Arjuna Zaulyl »

Nobody I played with made a half orc. Didnt they have to be evil when the game first came out?
Baldheaded-Yeti

Post by Baldheaded-Yeti »

Arjuna Zaulyl wrote:Nobody I played with made a half orc. Didnt they have to be evil when the game first came out?
I'm not sure about half-orcs in Original Dungeons and Dragons but, I
played in 1st AD&D where a fighter could be any alignment but a thief
had to be neutral to evil, no lawfuls.

I think I was a chaotic neutral, everybody's party boy.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

One of my first characters was a Half-Orc Fighter (1e) named Gondor, who fancied himself to be rather Knight-like (having a LN alignment, of course standard Orcs are LE like they ought to be). Back then, it was often just me and one of my brothers playing, so I usually had two characters going at a time; his partner was a Human Illusionist named Thai who generally threw prismatic sprays and chromatic orbs about.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Arjuna Zaulyl

Post by Arjuna Zaulyl »

That is awesome. I have never played an illusionist before.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I played in a few one-shots before I finally got to play a character more than once. His name was John Northcrosse, and the game was 1E. He was left handed and blonde, and had spent enough time in the desert to darken his skin and fade his hair to almost white. He fought with a bastard sword, which 1E allowed him to use it either one or two handed. He also had a 17 Dexterity, which in 1E gave him access to two-weapon combat with no penalty to the primary weapon; so he used a dagger in the off hand plus the bastard sword, or the bastard sword in both hands, or the bastard sword plus a buckler shield.

He was 50% min/max, 50% role-play. I had way too much time on my hands when I created him, but he remains one of my favorite characters of all time.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I've got a smattering of fighters and clerics back in the mists - all one-game characters. My earliest DM tended to run module-to-module, further aggravated by half our player base wanting to start new characters every time some horribly twinked-out class option (NPC or otherwise) ran in Dragon.

The first continued character I can remember was a loosely run AD&D1 'series' (campaign is a bit too strong a term)... something-or-another Alazar. half-elf Thief/MU who ran around with a menacingly- nay, a dangerously flatulent Barbarian. Being a none-to-serious game with a rather juvenile mindset (for all parties involved), it was a blast.

ba-da-bum.
Go with a smile!