Adventure & supplement templates

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Adventure & supplement templates

Post by Dimirag »

UptonGames wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:37 pm I'm working in Word and I don't find anything like that. Am I looking in all the wrong places?
You are looking at the wrong program :P
Using LibreOffice will be much easier as everything is done for that program.

On my MSWord below the paste option after right-clicking there are 3 options, the third one paste the text and only the text.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I read the docs for that context menu in Word and have to admit I don't understand exactly what it's doing. I'd have to experiment.

But I don't want to, so I won't. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Uploaded r12 of Supplement template to first post; we missed adding the URL at the top :oops:
Also, to double-check for adventures (since no example in template): while body text, stat-lines, etc. are now set to size 10, should any tables still be 9 or 9.5 still (but also changed to AdventureBF of course)?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

9.5 at a minimum. 9 is just too small.
kmerfeld

Post by kmerfeld »

Is there a reason we don't embed fonts?
It seems like an easy way to improve accessibility and consistency, especially on big documents like the core rules
https://help.libreoffice.org/7.0/en-US/ ... embed.html

the file size of fonts is pretty small (624k), around the size an image

I guess we would have to confirm people aren't sharing fonts they don't have a license to?
People could embed fonts anyway if they want to though, and its not hard to check whats embedded

Code: Select all

~/Downloads λ unzip -l BFRPG-Adventure-Template-r20-fonts.ott | grep Fonts
    45024  2023-04-01 15:11   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_3.ttf
    43152  2023-04-01 15:11   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_2.ttf
    42592  2023-04-01 15:11   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_1.ttf
    46720  2023-04-01 15:11   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_4.ttf
   226588  2023-04-01 15:11   Fonts/Font_Adventure_BF_1.ttf
   207716  2023-04-01 15:11   Fonts/Font_Adventure_BF_2.ttf
The fonts seem to have the needed license metadata to be bundled without issue, even without the txt files in the bundle, but they could be modified to include the entire license if needed
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The reason is, I never considered it.

I may, now.

The key problem is that there are fonts I shouldn't bundle (mostly in the Core Rules). I've minimized them but have not been able to completely excise them yet.
kmerfeld

Post by kmerfeld »

I don't think any of the non-Soutane fonts are actually used, just set as styles.

You can clean up the styles going to Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer "Basic Fonts (Western)"
You can set a few default fonts here

You can see some (unused I think) unwanted font settings if you go to Styles > Manage Styles (F11)
In the hierarchical view, these styles use fonts we don't want

Caption (entire subtree): Arial
Heading: Arial black
Heading > Appendix: Arial black
Heading > Heading 4-10: Arial black
Heading > Subtitle: Arial black
Heading > title: Arial black
Index: Arial
Index > Bibliography 1: Arial
Index > Contents 4-10: Arial
Index > Figure Index 1: Arial
Index > Index 2: Arial
Index > Index 3: Arial
Index > Index Separator: Arial
Index > Object Index 1: Arial
Index > Table Index 1: Arial
Index > User Index 1-10: Arial
Preformatted text - courier new
Text Body > License Body: Mono-Sans Medium
Text Body > List (entire subtree) : Century Gothic
WW-BodyText 2: Souvenir Lt BT;Times New Roman
You can right click the style's name, Modify, Font tab.
No idea how to find if/where these are used, and I think setting the defaults in "Basic Fonts (Western)" should fix most of them

You also can always check what fonts are actually included to see if there is anything specific to purge
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

kmerfeld wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:51 am I don't think any of the non-Soutane fonts are actually used, just set as styles.
<snip>
In the files I have worked with, the non-Soutane fonts are definitely used. Adventure BF for example.
I'm also on RPGG
kmerfeld

Post by kmerfeld »

JugglinDan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:07 pm In the files I have worked with, the non-Soutane fonts are definitely used. Adventure BF for example.
Yes, by non-Soutane I meant fonts not included in bf-core-fonts

We currently have references to Arial in both the BFRPG-Adventure-Template and the core rules.
I don't have the font installed locally, and didn't see any instances of it in the text (but could have missed some).
Its probably fine license wise to have a font's name included as long as we don't include the actual font. We currently do that

When bundling fonts, it doesn't matter what fonts the document is configured to use (styles) as long as there isn't any text using them with the "Only embed fonts that are used in documents" option.
So it doesn't really matter too much what fonts are included in styles we don't use

(sorry for posting xml)
in the styles.xml of BFRPG-Adventure-Template-r20.ott we have the following fonts set

<office:font-face-decls>
    <style:font-face style:name="Adventure BF" svg:font-family="'Adventure BF'" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Adventure BF1" svg:font-family="'Adventure BF'" style:font-adornments="Bold" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Adventure BF2" svg:font-family="'Adventure BF'" style:font-adornments="Regular" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Arial" svg:font-family="Arial" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Arial Black" svg:font-family="'Arial Black'" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Arial1" svg:font-family="Arial" style:font-family-generic="swiss" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Century Gothic" svg:font-family="'Century Gothic'" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Century Gothic1" svg:font-family="'Century Gothic'" style:font-family-generic="swiss" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Century Gothic2" svg:font-family="'Century Gothic'" style:font-adornments="Bold" style:font-family-generic="swiss" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Century Gothic3" svg:font-family="'Century Gothic'" style:font-adornments="Regular" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Courier New" svg:font-family="'Courier New'" style:font-family-generic="modern" style:font-pitch="fixed" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Lucida Sans Unicode" svg:font-family="'Lucida Sans Unicode'" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="MS Gothic" svg:font-family="'MS Gothic'" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="QueenEmpress" svg:font-family="QueenEmpress" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Soutane" svg:font-family="Soutane" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Soutane BF" svg:font-family="'Soutane BF'" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="SoutaneBlack" svg:font-family="SoutaneBlack" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="SoutaneBlack1" svg:font-family="SoutaneBlack" style:font-adornments="Regular" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Souvenir Lt BT" svg:font-family="'Souvenir Lt BT', 'Times New Roman'" style:font-family-generic="roman" style:font-pitch="variable" />
    <style:font-face style:name="StarSymbol" svg:font-family="StarSymbol" style:font-charset="x-symbol" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Tahoma" svg:font-family="Tahoma" />
    <style:font-face style:name="Tahoma1" svg:font-family="Tahoma" style:font-pitch="variable" />
  </office:font-face-decls>

We can edit this file with libreoffice, or right in the xml if your brave. but luckily, when bundling fonts only the following were added to the file

unzip -l  BFRPG-Adventure-Template-r20.ott | grep Fonts
    45024  2023-04-03 22:00   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_3.ttf
    43152  2023-04-03 22:00   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_2.ttf
    42592  2023-04-03 22:00   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_1.ttf
    46720  2023-04-03 22:00   Fonts/Font_Soutane_BF_4.ttf
   226588  2023-04-03 22:00   Fonts/Font_Adventure_BF_1.ttf
   207716  2023-04-03 22:00   Fonts/Font_Adventure_BF_2.ttf
Only bf-core-fonts were included, as the other fonts aren't used, or don't exist on my computer
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

chiisu81 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46 pm Here are the template files for creating new 4E-compatible rules supplements and adventures. To use these new templates, you'll need our new font package:

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads/bf-core-fonts.zip

You'll have to unzip the fonts and install them on your system, which on Windows is a matter of going to the Font Settings screen and dropping the unzipped files directly in there.
Sorry, I'm confused by this. Specifically, I don't understand the "Font Settings screen" sentence. I cannot fnd anything that fits that description. I have the fonts folder unzipped in my downloads folder, now I need more specific instructions what to do from there.