Oh no! It's.. Frankengame!!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
paladinn

Oh no! It's.. Frankengame!!

Post by paladinn »

I'm new to this forum, and to BF, but have been involved with RPG's (especially D&D and the like) for many years. While I consider myself an OSR grognard, I have been Very impressed with BF. It seems to have a lot of the simplicity I love about OSR games while incorporating some of the more-modern mechanics that really make for a better experience (especially ascending AC).

I'm considering piecing together a game using mechanics from previous (and current) versions of "the system", using BF as the basis. I'm going for simplicity in the core while allowing for lots of options:

* Keep B/X-LL-OSR score modifiers (-3 to +3). For strength, when a one-point gain doesn't result in a +1 to hit, allow a +1 to damage. Not sure about allowing 1 or 2 ASI's during a character's career.

* I'd like to grab S&W's single-save mechanic, modified by the appropriate ability score modifers.

* I'm thinking of a Very simple "skill system" that rolls D20, adding modifiers and either the character's level (for "Thief skills") or half the level rounded down (for "class skills"; kind of like 4E). And try to use D20 for just about everything.

* I Know I want to use more of a 5E magic system, but not as limited in spell-slots-per-day. Not sure about at-will cantrips.

* I want to allow fighters special manuevers like 2-weapon fighting, but I don't want a full-blown "feats" system. But definitely allow weapon specialization/ focus and/or "fighting styles"

* Keep the 4 basic classes, but develop other classes (paladin, bard, etc) as archetypes or "sub classes". Paladins should be primarily fighters before any special abilities, and Not "half-casters". Try to get back to the original vision of each class.

Just at the start of my thought processes. Do y'all know of anything that would be appropriate to include, or anything that would absolutely break a game like BF?

Thanks in advance!
Clever_Munkey

Re: Oh no! It's.. Frankengame!!

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Check out the downloads and showcase pages. Everything on the downloads page has been pretty well playtested. Most things on the showcase page are not game breaking, but are withheld for other reasons such as typos, or formatting errors.

This thread should also be moved to General Discussion.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the BF family!

Some of your ideas have been suggested on this forum at some point, so, a little navigating thru the Workshop an Showcase can help in that, mainly the single saving throw, combat styles and option and skill ideas, and of course, all the subclasses and quasiclasses.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Workshop Thread requires shared materials, not just discussion about various rules. Moved to General.

Carry on! :geek:
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
paladinn

Post by paladinn »

Sorry for the confusion.. Noob here..

I didn't see much about adapting anything from 5e, other than ascending AC and maybe the Dis/Advantage mechanic. I personally like spontaneous casting as opposed to Vancian; but 5e doesn't allow many "spell slots." Has anyone done something similar?

Also, has anyone adapted spells out to 9th level for MU's? I'm fine with 7th level for clerics.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Most of what you have talked about doing has been written.

Optional saving throw mechanics supplement
Expanded Magic lists with some optional methods
A couple different skill methods

are just a few of the supplements written that could be your keystone to tweaking the game system to what you want. One of the core features that I love is how modular the game is written.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Don't forget the Combat Options on the Download page, plus the idea of Combat Styles in the Combat Option's thread.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
paladinn

Post by paladinn »

Libram Magica takes spells up to 7th level. Has anyone converted the full 9-level spread?

I'm considering using something like the 1e or 2e spell list, or the list from LL - AEC. Would this be a problem with BF?
Olgabelle

Post by Olgabelle »

paladinn wrote:didn't see much about adapting anything from 5e, other than ascending AC
BFRPG already uses ascending AC.
paladinn wrote:I personally like spontaneous casting as opposed to Vancian; but 5e doesn't allow many "spell slots."
If you don't think 5e allows enough spells per day, you're going to hate any old school or old school style game :lol:
paladinn

Post by paladinn »

BFRPG already uses ascending AC
I know this.. that's why I said that not much was adapted "other than ascending AC"
If you don't think 5e allows enough spells per day, you're going to hate any old school or old school style game
In 5e, a 20th level Wizard has a base spread of 4,3,3,3,3,2,2,1,1 "slots". In OD&D (with supplements), a 20th lvl MU has a spread of 7,7,7,7,7,7,3,3,2. Big difference.