Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
BloodyFace666

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by BloodyFace666 »

I'm new here and new to this version of the game. Very grateful and excited to find this community. Can't believe this system isn't more popular.

I haven't played this version of the game since I was in elementary school. I used WOTC's bad press as an excuse to ditch 5E and try OSR.

I'm planning on running games on Start Playing dot com to supplement my income as I get older. This seems like the perfect system for lots of reasons.

Thanks to Chris Gonnerman and everyone else who volunteered to make such a cool game.
Check out my Basic Fantasy online game here: https://startplaying.games/adventure/cl ... mk4rk09bcv
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

#25 for sales on Amazon.com today...

... I took a screenshot. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:53 pm #25 for sales on Amazon.com today...

... I took a screenshot. :D
WOW! everyone getting in while 3e is up I guess (a lot of people talking like that on Discord for some reason, not sure what they expect is going to happen when the OGL drops)
No matter where you go...there you are
BloodyFace666

Post by BloodyFace666 »

As a clueless newb, I bought my hardcopy because I'm afraid you guys will have to change stuff like "hit points" to "health points". That's probably an exaggeration, but hopefully you get what I'm saying.
Check out my Basic Fantasy online game here: https://startplaying.games/adventure/cl ... mk4rk09bcv
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

BloodyFace666 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:23 am As a clueless newb, I bought my hardcopy because I'm afraid you guys will have to change stuff like "hit points" to "health points". That's probably an exaggeration, but hopefully you get what I'm saying.
no all that kind of thing is prior art that Gary Gygax grabbed from his wargaming background, a few monster names and a few spell names are the main changes
No matter where you go...there you are
BloodyFace666

Post by BloodyFace666 »

Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:54 am no all that kind of thing is prior art that Gary Gygax grabbed from his wargaming background, a few monster names and a few spell names are the main changes
Sounds great. Thanks for the effort.
bobcatt

Post by bobcatt »

Chris G. said if I wanted to help I should join the Forum.

Not sure what I can do yet, but I'm sure something will crop up.

Got into AD&D in Grade 9. Classic Traveller and Top Secret/S.I. round out my top three RPGs. Dropped out of tabletop gaming around 1993. Have played quite a few newer systems since returning in ~2015.
--- playing AD&D since 1980, former class clown ---
Mars

Post by Mars »

Hi Everybody!

I've been a fan of the BFRPG rules for a few years (my print copy of the core rule book shows 16 July 2017 as the print date!) but I haven't actually been able to play the game in a group yet. My current TTRPG group switches between game systems frequently, and after about a year of playing with them I've finally started thinking of trying to GM myself. BFRPG is the game I want to play--the rules make sense to me and feel like the right level of complexity. In hopes of deepening my familiarity with the game, I've been hanging around the forum recently. I figure I might as well introduce myself. So... hi!
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Alex15

Post by Alex15 »

Hello! I just realized this is where I should introduce myself, so here goes! I heard of and got the Basic Fantasy Core Rulebook a long time ago, but I didn't feel like the mechanics were for me. Recently, though, I've begun to get into more OSR role-playing games and I read the fascinating Metarules post by Solomoriah, which has got me much more interested in playing. As for my general RPG background, I've played D&D once a week for about a year or so and am beginning to learn how to DM. I'm trying to learn how to play solo, so I can enjoy all the other games that I never get to play.
MJLauck

Post by MJLauck »

Hello.
I got into role playing games in the early 1980’s when I was in fifth or sixth grade with that lovely early ‘80s red box. Branched out over the years and got into war gaming too. But that all more or less stopped after college and about 19 or 21 years ago (not sure which baby being born made it happen) I put all my stuff (D&D, Robotech, Warhammer FRP and 40K, FASA Doctor Who and Star Trek, TMNT, Villains and Vigilantes and so much more) up on eBay. Everything but, for some reason, some of my Car Wars stuff.

I have been creeping back into gaming the last couple of years (after looking for a rules light space wargame with the thought I could work out some stuff for a book… which I did not do but I did start wargaming some). The crappy thing is I am held back by my schedule (I travel about 45 weeks a year so it is hard to make sessions, even virtually). All the recent D&D uproar got me poking around fantasy games again and I literally stumbled across the Basic Fantasy rule book. Not sure how much I can play or even contribute, honestly, but here I am.
It is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things
—Miyamato Musashi
(1584 - 1645)