Special Enemy: Enchanted?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
HolyCouncilMagi

Special Enemy: Enchanted?

Post by HolyCouncilMagi »

So, I was rolling up some NPC items, and one of the Fighters got lucky enough to get a magic weapon. I rolled on that table, and ended up with a +1, +3 vs Special Enemy. Okay, roll 1d6 for that table below... And get a 2. So, +3 vs Enchanted.

... Except I can't find reference to any creature being "enchanted" anywhere else in the book.

So... Does this weapon do extra damage against other magic items or something? Or did I miss something about enchanted creatures?
Metroknight

Re: Special Enemy: Enchanted?

Post by Metroknight »

From what I could find, enchanted mostly means to be under the influence of a spell or magic so that sword would probably gain it's bonus against someone that is charmed or such.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Magical constructs can also be treated as enchanted, as any animated object.
If you want to stretch the line you can treat as enchanted any creature that is under a magical effect.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Humanoids that are or utilize arcane magic or innate powers of arcane nature.... ie powers/spells coming from MU, Illusionist, Necromancer classed

Creatures know to be innately magical... ie Fey, Sidhe, blink dog, cockatrice, shedu, sphinx, medusa etc. or those creatures that are crafted of magic such as Golems, Homunculi.

Creatures that are summoned by magic are "enchanted" while so summoned or during the duration of the control/direction when summoned. This includes creatures that are animated by magic such as skeletons/zombies, animated objects, etc. Charmed and Controlled creatures loosely fall under this category, in my mind.

creatures/humanoids under a spell effect that enhances, grants bonus, or otherwise empowers the creature (including most shapechange/altering effects). Note I do not include those under detrimental effects such as cursed, slowed, etc. Enchanted in my mind mostly means the beneficial sort of magic, while detrimental effects I would losely call "curses" or "hexed"... in this case, one shapechanged into a slug is "cursed", not enchanted. The rationale here is not double-whammy a foe... one casts curse on a creature who is then subject to enhanced attacks by fighter (in addition to the curse effect)... a gamist choice here.

I am sure there are other opinions on the matter.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
HolyCouncilMagi

Post by HolyCouncilMagi »

SmootRK wrote:Humanoids that are or utilize arcane magic or innate powers of arcane nature.... ie powers/spells coming from MU, Illusionist, Necromancer classed

Creatures know to be innately magical... ie Fey, Sidhe, blink dog, cockatrice, shedu, sphinx, medusa etc. or those creatures that are crafted of magic such as Golems, Homunculi.

Creatures that are summoned by magic are "enchanted" while so summoned or during the duration of the control/direction when summoned. This includes creatures that are animated by magic such as skeletons/zombies, animated objects, etc. Charmed and Controlled creatures loosely fall under this category, in my mind.

creatures/humanoids under a spell effect that enhances, grants bonus, or otherwise empowers the creature (including most shapechange/altering effects). Note I do not include those under detrimental effects such as cursed, slowed, etc. Enchanted in my mind mostly means the beneficial sort of magic, while detrimental effects I would losely call "curses" or "hexed"... in this case, one shapechanged into a slug is "cursed", not enchanted. The rationale here is not double-whammy a foe... one casts curse on a creature who is then subject to enhanced attacks by fighter (in addition to the curse effect)... a gamist choice here.

I am sure there are other opinions on the matter.
The first one probably isn't the intention, since another option on the table for Special Enemies is Spell Users, but the other possibilities you mentioned make a lot of sense. Thanks to you and everyone else who responded!
Delver

Post by Delver »

After all of that, it sounds as if he scored a pretty useful magical weapon! Cool!
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman