Beginner GM Questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Ted Striker

Beginner GM Questions

Post by Ted Striker »

Hi All,

Just started a new campaign, first time GM, and its been 15 years or so since playing Advanced D&D.

Our first gathering went well, the group made good characters, and I've slightly modified the Morgansfort cave adventure, it went pretty good. I need some guidance in a few areas:

Combat/movement: Players can move in and attack, but can they attack and move? do they get their full combat movement either way, without penalty, etc? what about mounted vs unmounted?

Earning experience: how are you GMs awarding EXP? just kills? found treasure? good role play? I'm not sure what to give them and when.

What about awareness/perception type roles? what if a player declares "I try to perceive if he's lying" or something subtle happens in a combat situation that the players should roll to take note of, etc.--how do you determine an attribute/target to roll for?

thanks for any insight--and thanks to everyone who put all this material together, this website is a goldmine.

T
dymondy2k

Re: Beginner GM Questions

Post by dymondy2k »

Hi Ted!!

Its a move then attack, not sure you can attack then move and yes they can move up to their full combat speed and still get an attack. You can even travel further then that if you are charging!

You'll find that how to give XP varies from DM to DM, I do Monsters killed + Gold + Magic Items (using the 1e DMG XP guide)

For your last question I'm really a big fan of the ability rolls on page 140 of the BFRPG rulebook, just add whatever ability modifier you feel would fit the situation, maybe a wisdom modifier to see if somebody is telling the truth, an intelligence modifier to note some shifty business during combat.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Generally, movement precedes attacking; after an attack, a character may not normally move until the next round.

Some house rule that, though. Do what feels right to you.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Just remember that your character is not standing still while in melee. They are ducking, dodging, and weaving about in the attempt to line up a chance to hit their target.

There is defensive withdrawl (I think) in the rules or is it in the supplements. You could houserule half your move is lost with the attack if you move after the attack instead of before.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I don't like the attack then move houserule because it allows an attacker with the higher initiative to attack with a range weapon then move behind cover, which takes away his opponents chance to attack back. If you expose yourself to make an attack then you should be vulnerable to an attack while exposed.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, what Hyway said. I knew there was a reason I wrote it that way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
bobtheoldcrank

Post by bobtheoldcrank »

I'm going to get roasted alive for this, but I allow the later-edition "standard/move/minor" sequence in any order.

[waits for torches and pitchforks]

Here's why:

1. Most of my players are intimately familiar with 3.5E/PF/4E and the sequence is second-nature.
2. I snap-judge whether a "minor action" actually is. Sheathing a sword and pulling out a scroll isn't feasible, but firing a crossbow, dropping it, and drawing a sword is.
3. I disagree that allowing shoot-then-move is bad. If Snerd has a high-enough initiative to actually act - i.e., if his initiative slot isn't shared - he has the time to fire and maneuver. Simultaneous action negates that, of course; if the PC shooter attempts to shoot-then-move and an opponent with a ranged weapon shares that initiative slot, the opponent's shot resolves simultaneously. In any case, the PC can still move to cover.
4. I don't see any reason why a PC can't throw a shot then attempt a move. Of course there might be a consequence of moving (parting shot), but that's the player's choice.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

as long as you play the NPCs and monsters the same way all is well. But if NPCs with higher init aren't shooting bows then dodging back behind cover then you aren't playing fair.
bobtheoldcrank

Post by bobtheoldcrank »

At my table, everything that can happen to the PCs can happen to NPCs. :)
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Hywaywolf wrote:as long as you play the NPCs and monsters the same way all is well. But if NPCs with higher init aren't shooting bows then dodging back behind cover then you aren't playing fair.
Well said!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony