Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5267
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Chapter 9

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:06 am

Simon will move out slowly, trying to stay low and unsilhouetted by the moon. He will move closer to the village if necessary to find cover, but won't enter it. His goal is to get to the sub unseen. If he here's any conversations he will will work his way to a position where he can hide in the shadows and listen. He will try to bypass any sentry unseen rather than to try to take any out, but he will fight rather than be captured. When he gets to position where he must act on either a conversation or a sentry, he will wait for Tommy if that's possible.

So, Simon is moving forward to circle around the village, preferably to the west side if we didn't come out of the forest edge to far to the east side of the village. If this takes too long then I don't want to be silhouetted by the rising sun. I also have the rifle in my hand, (i don't believe I have a pistol) but the garotte is ready for use.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 8539
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Chapter 9

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:48 pm

rredmond wrote:How tired is Will? I'm guessing back to the sack for him.
Feeling suddenly very tired, Will rubbed his face. "I'd say you're ready for some sleep, Will," said Monday. "I'm feeling that way myself." Monday arose, evidently expecting Will to do the same.
crazycrypt wrote:Tommy agrees and motions Simon to take the lead, as he would rather bring up the rear. This way he knows where Simon is and can keep a good look out on his backside. While moving without the cover of the trees, Tommy will be very aware to anything moving, and will attempt to stay in the shadows and out of site as best he can.
Hywaywolf wrote:Simon will move out slowly, trying to stay low and unsilhouetted by the moon. He will move closer to the village if necessary to find cover, but won't enter it. His goal is to get to the sub unseen. If he here's any conversations he will will work his way to a position where he can hide in the shadows and listen. He will try to bypass any sentry unseen rather than to try to take any out, but he will fight rather than be captured. When he gets to position where he must act on either a conversation or a sentry, he will wait for Tommy if that's possible.
Simon looked at the conning tower of the sub, visible over the slope of the hill to his left, and decided to move through the shadows from one clump of trees to the next. Tommy followed carefully.

Moving through the shadows, knowing that uncounted native warriors with sharp spears might be all around him, was nerve-wracking for Simon; a less seasoned man might have given up and run away. As it was, though, if there were natives all around him, they didn't see Simon any more than he did them, and very shortly he found himself hiding behind the last tree. Ahead of him was a dozen yards of shadow, followed by another dozen yards of sand and scrubby grass lit by the moon. To the left, the river; to the right, the rising curve of the hill; for cover, nothing.

But the sub was now clearly visible in the river. Some sort of gangplank seemed to extend from the riverbank to the deck. The only human figure Simon could see was the man atop the conning tower, who just then seemed to be looking off to the right, toward the village on the hill.

He could run the distance to the gangplank in just a handful of seconds at full speed, Simon mused; but when he got there, would there be anywhere to hide? And were there natives waiting just out of sight, around the hillside, waiting for him? Or worse, Germans with guns, maybe even automatic weapons, ready to perforate him?

Just then, Tommy came up silently beside Simon.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
rredmond
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:10 am
Location: South Jersey

Re: Chapter 9

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Not feeling drugged sorta sleepy right? ;) Here's hoping...

IC: Will gets up with Monday,feeling like he's missed something, and says "thanks for listening," and shakes Mondays hand. Staying as alert as possible, making sure his gun with the safety on is tucked safely in his belt, Will heads back to his cabin and ensure the door is locked before taking his sleep.

OOC: You guys seeing that chaotic mess over at KnK, the "Zeb Cook" thread? Whew, it's good to pull my eyes away from that for a bit.
I enjoy BFRPG dungeons. And played Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
I PbP at Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
I Link at LinkedIn
Nobody ever catches Nuth.
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5267
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Chapter 9

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Simon looked toward the gangplank and cursed himself for not wearing the captured Germans Uniform. Going on the sub was beginning to feel like a suicide mission. He was weighing his chance of success of swimming around to the river side of the sub and climbing up the sub from that side when Tommy slipped up beside him. Simon pointed out the watchman on the tower and then the open area around it. He mimed "village or sub?" to Tommy and waited for his response.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 8539
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Chapter 9

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 pm

"Goodnight," said Monday as he saw Will out. "See you in the morning. Well, later in the morning."

Will walked down the dimly-lit corridor to his room, swaying a bit, but he found his way to the bed and fell into it, and into a deep, dreamless sleep.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
crazycrypt
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Palmyra, MO

Re: Chapter 9

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Since Tommy is now next to Simon he will look around and see what Simon sees. He will then consider which way to go or whether or not they should even go at all or should find cover as best they can and wait till they see Artie. He will then, as quietly as he possibly can, whisper "I think we should find cover and wait till we either see Artie or the others spring their attack. I do not think it is wise to go into either the Village or Sub at this time. What do you think?"


OCC I know it has been a bit, how light is it outside now?
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 8539
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Chapter 9

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 pm

crazycrypt wrote:OCC I know it has been a bit, how light is it outside now?
Tommy judged it was about 4:30 in the morning. It's always darkest before the dawn, and tonight is no exception; the lower the moon fell in the west, the darker it became. In fact, in not too long, he realized, the shadows before them would cover the entire stretch between the last tree and the gangplank. Fifteen minutes at most, he judged.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5267
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Chapter 9

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Simon whispers back, " You're in charge, Sir. Lets find cover." Simon picks up a clod of riverbank mud. "But if the opportunity arises, we might try to spike the deck guns with this mud before the villagers attack."
User avatar
crazycrypt
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Palmyra, MO

Re: Chapter 9

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Tommy whispers, "It looks like the shadows would give us a clear shot at that gangplank. If we are quick enough we might be able to make it onto the ship and then try to find cover. It's either that or shot for the river and see if there is cover on the other side of the sub. Sitting here might be rather dangerous."
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5267
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Chapter 9

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:50 pm

Simon nods at Tommy and says, "sub it is then." He watches the sub for a few minutes more to see if anyone other than the watch on the conning tower shows themselves. makes a scan across the hillside approaching the village, then waits for the shadows to get right. When they do he will creep through the shadows, then when the shadows play out he will move quickly, but gracefully without any sudden moves or jerky actions up the gangplank and onto the sub. Placing himself on the opposite side of the conning tower from the village and up against its base.

If Simon arrives safely, he will take a minute to check his surroundings then wave Tommy forward.
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests