BFRPG Compilation Document

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
The Pilgrim

BFRPG Compilation Document

Post by The Pilgrim »

Hello All,
I'm new to Basic Fantasy and really like what I see. I'm thinking of using this game for my group who currently play Pathfinder. I'm a player in that game but want to DM and I have no desire to use the complicated Pathfinder rules as a DM. So I think I've decided on BFRPG.

My question though is has anyone created a compilation document of the core BFRPG rules with the additional supplemental material that is available? My group is used to the options that are available for player's in Pathfinder so I'm thinking I they would appreciate more options for classes and races, etc.

So if no one has made a compilation, I will take the time and put it together but just thought I would ask just in case someone has already done it.

Thanks folks!
SmootRK

Re: BFRPG Compilation Document

Post by SmootRK »

I have started one on more than one occasion but ultimately just found having the Core Rule book and just those documents that we actually use printed out and ready.

A "Complete" Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game book would be nice, but I would want some sort of system of marking each bit of the optional rules individually (both at the appropriate spot in the tome, and also within the Table of Contents or something similar. Even better might be a well put together PDF that has some check feature in the ToC, so when checked, the material shows normally. When unchecked, the material in question is greyed out substantially so that one knows that this particular 'optional feature' is not in use. A game master could therefore, save his particular choices (perhaps with a password feature) so that he can share the pdf with his group.

I know, it is a lot to ask, which is why the process keeps stalling for myself... pencil marks in my book and good old print-outs of the relevant documents always ends up the way we do it.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

You also run into the mutually exclusive alternates (Barbarian Sub-class vs. Barbarian quasi-classes, different specialty/specialization rules). At one point I started running everything, to compile in a single binder. It was difficult to sort all of the options - there were a few cases where one supplement covered two different areas. It's certainly doable, but would need a careful lead-in. Would this be better as a blended document (Basic Cyclopedia), or would this still work better as a Master Supplement (a la Unearthed Arcana)?
Go with a smile!
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I gave this a go a couple of times, but gave up on it as well. I would suggest going over the supplements and selecting which fits your game and compiling those into a single document for your players.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

For what it is worth, when I can, I work on my combined House Rule Document which is (or properly "will be") for use alongside the Core Rules. The House Rules booklet references and modifies the materials in the core rules. Once I really have my house rules document in a really effective state, I will annotate one of my Core Rules books with the changes (via pencil marks)... likely in one of my spiral bound copies so that my hard covers stay a little more pristine.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
The Pilgrim

Post by The Pilgrim »

thanks for the replies all!

I wasn't thinking of adding everything into one document. That would indeed be quite the undertaking. And probably too time consuming. I was just thinking about maybe few more classes and races and maybe the combat supplement and whatever else really seems like it would fill out a more complete core game.

I'll just have to put my nose to the grindstone and compile it myself! But I just wanted to check with you veterans first before I attempt it.

Thanks again!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The Pilgrim wrote:I wasn't thinking of adding everything into one document. That would indeed be quite the undertaking. And probably too time consuming. I was just thinking about maybe few more classes and races and maybe the combat supplement and whatever else really seems like it would fill out a more complete core game.
The core rules ARE complete.

:D

Seriously... when I wrote the rules, my "coverage target" was the 1981 Basic/Expert rules. Anything they had a rule for, I wanted a rule for, and very little beyond that. I've long felt that game was a near-perfect balance between too few options and too many; your mileage may vary. But I followed one specific rule when designing it. Let me 'splain to you:

Many people sent me emails about the game, saying "Your game is almost perfect... it just needs X added." Any time a majority of people agreed on what X was, I decided I probably needed it... but so long as everyone wanted a different X, I knew I had it right. Of course, those latter X's did not get added. That's what supplements are for.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
The Pilgrim

Post by The Pilgrim »

Solomoriah wrote:
The Pilgrim wrote:I wasn't thinking of adding everything into one document. That would indeed be quite the undertaking. And probably too time consuming. I was just thinking about maybe few more classes and races and maybe the combat supplement and whatever else really seems like it would fill out a more complete core game.
The core rules ARE complete.

:D
Maybe I should have said complicated instead of complete! :)

And I totally agree with you Solo, the game is great and complete all by itself. But my goal is to try to lure my Pathfinder group to an old school type game... and I think if I have a few more options that they are used to seeing then it will be an easier sell.
wynteriii

Post by wynteriii »

Wish you luck and I hope you'll do the same for me. I'm about to introduce BF to a group that has taken a couple of different systems.

D&D Advanced
D&D 3.5
D&D 4 Essentials
Tunnels & Trolls
Introduced to Castle & Crusades

I'm wanting to bring the Old School RPG back to my group. I would like them to know the games before WOW and Ultima Online.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

The key to getting players to want to play BFRPG without all the add-ons is to convince them that their PCs can do all those things as long as the player can imagine it and the game situation allows it. Along with that is to DM the game in such a way that initiative and out of the box thinking is rewarded. If a player says something like, one of us should pole vault over that gaping pit full of fire and tie a rope on the other side for the rest of to come over on ... the DM shouldn't say, well none are you are capable of it and no one but the thief has the climbing skill to cross on the rope afterwards. You should say, given that the ground in front of the pit is covered with the blood and gore of the 7 kobolds I'm giving you a -1 penalty for the run up to the jump and a -2 penalty since your pole is only 10' long and the pit is 15' wide. Then use the ability roll table from page 141, add in the dexterity Ability bonus, and let them try. If they say they will clear up the blood and guts first to make the area less slippery, remove the -1 penalty. Then let them all try the rope after its tied on.

The point is, never say that the players can't do something. Give them the chance with whatever penalty/bonus you think appropriate. Miracles do happen in real life - skydivers whose chute malfunctions still survive even though they fell a long way, mothers do incredible stuff to save their babies, the luck of the Irish, etc. When players realize that they can still do cool things without having cool skills, they may rise to the challenge.