Multiclassing in Basic Fantasy vs AD&D

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Re: Multiclassing in Basic Fantasy vs AD&D

Post by Dimirag »

SmootRK wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:59 am I wonder how these calculate out and compare for the situations of the combos that do not really work like Fighter-Thief or Fighter-Cleric... would these alternate XP make these combos viable?
Although the rule works for the Fighter-Cleric, it doesn't look good for the Thief-Cleric
On an XP vs XP comparison:
Thief-Cleric vs Thief:
-Weapons: If we keep the "all the best" rule then it gains nothing, otherwise it loses some weapon access.
-Armor: It should gain more armor, but I would rule that some thieving skills will be hampered.
-Hit Points: I'm using d6+2 as a "best of both", except for very few levels the combo gets the advantage in both median and max values, min values is the reverse.
-Attack Bonus: The single class fights equal or better than the combo, never worst, at lower levels they are more close, at higher levels the difference increase, but not much.
-Backstab: No change.
-Thieving Skills: Due to XP value the combo gets a lower progression, and it can be hampered by armor as stated above (this is assuming the combo can use every skill situationally as a thief could).
-Turning Undead: This is gained.
-Spellcasting and Turning: This are gained.

Its a sturdier but worst at combat thief, maybe with more armor depending the activity performed, with clerical special abilities (but worst than a cleric).

Thief-Cleric vs Cleric:
-Weapons: It should earn more weapons.
-Armor: Gains nothing, could lose based on thieving skills.
-Hit Points: The Cleric gets the upper hand, its only after the combo stops rolling HD that it gets different (using a +2 from the thief).
-Attack Bonus: The cleric has better or equal AB, mostly equal, the better levels are few at first, then become the most part at the higher levels.
-Backstab: This is earned.
-Thieving Skills: These are gained.
-Turning Undead: same at lower rate.
-Spellcasting and Turning: Same at a lower rate.

Combining worst HP with equal or worst AB and the probably use of lower armor to allow thieving skills the combo should refrain from combat compared to a full cleric.

It may work as a tomb raider, using spells to boost their thieving skills and for healing, and maybe using turning undeads as a countermeasure for sneaking into some places
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Re: Multiclassing in Basic Fantasy vs AD&D

Post by SmootRK »

Martin, I knew you would provide the mathematical comparison. :D

Seems that even the somewhat poor comparisons are at least "near to the mark", perhaps enough for players that want the specific pool of abilities (from the combo) for their character concept to pay the XP.

Things I suggest in any combos:
Cleric combos still abide by clerical weapon choices (the deities decide this).
Thief abilities always limited/modified by armor choices (a factor of the physical nature of the armor).
MU combos must abide by MU armor limitations for spellcasting unless specifically altered by other factor (such as Race, ie Elves may cast in armor, Gnomes in Leather armor).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?