Season 2 - Episode 2: The Road to Westport

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Westport Road - Round 1

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Paladin waits, shortbow at the ready, looking for any other would-be attackers. Suddenly he spots some movement to the south-west and hears the distinctive note of an arrow being loosed from a bow. The missile thuds into the side of Paladin’s wagon, narrowly missing the driver. Paladin quickly returns fire at the archer, a male human, before he can dart back into the cover of the gorse bushes [modified “to hit” roll: 6 - miss], but the halfling’s arrow is a long way wide of the mark.

Leo thrusts at the rotting human with his spear [modified “to hit" roll: 5], but he misses badly as well.

Tannen jumps down from the rear wagon and dashes towards the ambushing archer, longsword and shield at the ready. Running in plate mail is difficult, but he manages to close to within 10’.

There’s the sound of another arrow being fired, this time to the east of the first wagon. Again the arrow hits the wagon rather than the passengers, this time in the wheel below the driver.

Whilst Benoni looks underneath the rear wagon (and see’s nothing but the underside of a wagon), and Mandross ducks down to stop his fancy hat from being skewered, Doughbert returns fire at the new adversary, who has partial cover from a bush [modified “to hit” roll: 8 - miss], but his arrow gets diverted by the intervening branches.

The rotting man roars and swipes with his shortsword at Leo, catching the ranger a glancing blow on his right arm for 2 damage.

Nivek can’t make his mind up as to whether the rotting man is undead or not. The decaying flesh would suggest “yes”; his general speed and ease of his movement would suggest otherwise. Jumping down from his wagon with mace and shield in hand, Nivek moves towards the nearest visible archer and closes to within 25’.

A third archer reveals himself, this time to the east of Wagons 2 and 3. However he’s no more accurate than his colleagues and the arrow goes sailing a long way over the head of Mandross.

Gannicus rushes to aid Leo in his battle with the rotting man, but he’s still got a lot of ground to cover - it’ll be another two or three rounds before he reaches him.

The round concludes with the firing of an arrow by a fourth archer to the west of Wagon 1. But, you guessed it, it’s another miss.

Shaw and the drivers just cower and take cover, clearly assuming that you’re going to sort this out.

Initiative for Round 2:
Doughbert: 7
Gannicus: 6
Nivek: 6
Archer 4: 6
Leo: 5
Mandross: 5
Paladin: 5
Archer 3: 4
Tannen: 2
Benoni: 2
Archer 1: 2
Rotting man: 2
Archer 2: 1

Updated tactical map at https://sites.google.com/site/marketstonecampaign/.

Actions for Round 2 please ...

Leo: HP 9/11
~2 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
JoeCarr28

"Is that owl somewhere about?"

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:Nivek will take a second to look about... is that owl somewhere about?
No, no sign of the owl. You haven't seen it since you left the Fairfield Arms this morning.
_Silveredged

Re: Season 2 - Episode 2: The Road to Westport

Post by _Silveredged »

Leo laughs a bit as he slashes the spear through the air in a wide arc, winding up for the next blow, "Ye gods, is there some skunk spray mixed in with that as well, or is that your normal lady-repellent?"

OOC: Still attacking, till he's dead...
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert shouts to Gannicus, "Help Nivek with the Archer to our left, I'll range the one to the right !" (archer #4). seeing that Nivik and m,aybe Gannicus will handle the archer on the left, Doughbert turns to his right and fires short range at that archer (archer 4).

(OOC: two things that are probably obvious that I want to point out. If people are running they move 3 times their normal movement rate right? and outdoors range distances is change to yards rather than feet.)
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus runs to help Nivek with the archer on the left. He screams a primal roar hoping to unsettle the archers into ruining their shots.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross will hop off his side of the wagon and move to the back right wheel - using more of the wagon for cover from archer 3, and keeping the taller foliage from letting 1 or 4 line up an easy shot. He'll also watch the bushes on this side (the west) for additional combatants, and shout warnings.

If anyone charges him, he will fight defensively.
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:(OOC: two things that are probably obvious that I want to point out. If people are running they move 3 times their normal movement rate right? and outdoors range distances is change to yards rather than feet.)
I'm regularly proved wrong on such technicalities, but I believe running movement is 2 times, not 3 times, normal movement (page 44 of rulebook).

Missile weapon ranges outdoors are yards, yes (page 11). Presumeably to reflect the greater available elevation of shot.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

(OOC: I don't know why I keep saying running is 3 times norm. I keep getting corrected on it, and I know its two, but its locked into my brain as 3 and I can't dump the data.)
JoeCarr28

Westport Road - Round 2

Post by JoeCarr28 »

JoeCarr28 wrote:Initiative for Round 2:
Doughbert: 7
Gannicus: 6
Nivek: 6
Archer 4: 6
Leo: 5
Mandross: 5
Paladin: 5
Archer 3: 4
Tannen: 2
Benoni: 2
Archer 1: 2
Rotting man: 2
Archer 2: 1
Doughbert turns to his right and fires his short bow at Archer 4 [modified "to hit" roll: 6 - miss].

Gannicus changes course, moving away from the Rotting Man and towards Archer 2. By running, he reaches the archer, but doesn't have time to attack this round.

Nivek joins the battle with Archer 2. He can attack this round, and swings with his mace [modified "to hit" roll: 21 - hit! For 4 damage]. The archer is felled, and poor Gannicus is left targetless once again.

Archer 4 returns fire at Doughbert. The arrow finds its mark, ripping through the side of Doughbert's left thigh for 3 damage (actually you were a little lucky - under our new "Combat Options" critical hit rules, the archer just failed to convert his natural 20 'threat' into a critical, which would have meant double damage).

Leo resumes his battle with the Rotting Man [modified "to hit" roll: 20 - hit! for 3 damage]. Leo's spear sinks into the putrid flesh, but his opponent barely seems to notice.

Mandross hops of the wagon and takes cover from the remaining archers. At the moment, he can't see any additional adversaries.

Holding for Paladin, Tannen and Benoni ...

Updated tactical map at https://sites.google.com/site/marketstonecampaign/.

Doughbert: 2/5
Leo: HP 9/11
~2 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

ooc: wow, 3 on 2d6! now that's some crap damage. and is this thing really undead!? hmm....
Anyhoo, after next initiative he'll keep attacking.... gotta whittle him down... i don't suppose he's goblinoid at all? :mrgreen:
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger