Monster index by Type?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mental Elf

Monster index by Type?

Post by Mental Elf »

Has anyone ever created a master list/index of BF monsters grouped by Type/category?

The existing index is great assuming one is not new to the legacy of that other game, however as someone who is not, It may be helpful to be able see the creatures in a list cetegorised by Type.

The reason I ask is I was putting together an adventure idea for my first game and had a particular idea for an Undead in mind. I wanted to to see if there was already an appropriate analog in the existing lists, and realised there was no index in the downloads that also sorted by TYPE, just by individual names. So (from a noobs perspective) I cant quickly ascertain all the undead monsters to look at, or, in some cases KNOW that a given name is an undead.

I'd be more than happy to help in creating such a list, however it would need help form the experts as I am completely new to BF (and the other games legacy creatures ).

But also, I expect there may already exist such a list, and hope someone can point me to it!
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.
JugglinDan

Re: Monster index by Type?

Post by JugglinDan »

I started work on rebooting the Free Bestiary site. You can search by creature type, such as undead, flying, & beasts. However, the original implementation has limitations that I'm not easily able to improve. The largest of these is that you can't search on multiple criteria. I added hit dice tags, but even though entries are now tagged with creature type and hit dice, there is no way to search for "3HD undead".

Also, most creatures from the field guides are missing tags.

Finally, I haven't even started adding 4th edition creatures.
I'm also on RPGG
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Monster Type is not a part of Basic Fantasy, its only used when needed due to rules, and always in a light and loose manner.

Whomever wants to do it will have to decide which type each monster is, some cases will be easy, others may be harder depending if using 1 category per monster or multiple ones.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

There was a spreadsheet attempted awhile back, but it is incomplete. That might be a place to start
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin