Monster creations

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Boggo

Re: Monster creations

Post by Boggo »

Well I'm not restricted to what a low budget 1980's movie can afford for special effects :D
No matter where you go...there you are
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Lamia*
Armour Class: 18
Hit Dice: 6+1**
No. of Attacks: Bite, Constrict, weapon
Damage: Bite:1d6+poison, Constrict:1d6+1, weapon damage
Movement: 120'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 6
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: D
XP: 610
Lamias are dangerous monsters with the upper body of a beautiful woman and the lower body of a serpent. They are known for their seductive powers, and are often found near human settlements, preying on unsuspecting travelers and children.
Lamias possess a poisonous bite that causes paralysis for 1d4 turns when a victim fails a saving throw versus Poison. Victims who succeed on the saving throw are not paralyzed. Lamias use this poison to subdue their prey before devouring them.
Lamias are also skilled in the art of magic, and may cast spells as a 5th level Magic-User.
Adventurers should be cautious when encountering a Lamia, as they possess both magical and physical abilities that make them a formidable opponent. They have a high morale and will fight to the death to defend themselves or their territory.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Okay, please please please please PLEASE don't hate me! (Well, maybe a *little* bit is justified)

When I read the Lamia post (well done, btw) the pun "Lame-ia" just popped into my head. Then my brain ran with the idea despite my best intentions, and before I knew it, well, this happened:

Lame-ia*
Armour Class: 11
Hit Dice: 1+1**
No. of Attacks: 1 Tail Slap, Hysterical Tears
Damage: Tail Slap 1d2 subdual damage, Tears Special
Movement: 120'
Save As: Fighter 1
Morale: 4
Treasure Type: V (Special)
XP: None

Lame-ias are monsters with the upper body of a beautiful woman and the lower body of a serpent. They are initially mistaken for actual Lamias and have a proclivity for cute animals and children.

Lame-ias have a massive inferiority complex; they feel like they should be as fearsome as actual Lamias, and will do their best to bluff their way through any encounters with others.

However, in reality, a lame-ia's deepest desire is to keep things tidy, bake cookies and other pastries, wipe runny noses, and care for small animals and children that are hurt. In fact, anyone under the care of a Lame-ia heals at +1 their normal rate.

Lame-ias can use their tails to slap opponents; it does only subdual damage, but stings like the dickens!

If threatened with aggression, a Lame-ia will burst into hysterical tears, causing everyone in sight and/or sound to save vs. spells or be rendered at a loss for what to do next. Paladins and clerics of benevolent deities receive a -5 penalty to this save. Those who fail will also try to stop anyone else from harming the Lame-ia, although they are not under her control.

Lame-ias posses treasure of type V, with the following changes:
The indicated amount of silver pieces is actually cookies, electrum is tarts, gold is brownies, platinum is flavors of jam, gems are cakes, jewelry is pies, and if magic is indicated, it will always be a potion.

Please forgive me. I had to share it...

Maybe it could be used for an April Fool's edition???
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
wilm

Post by wilm »

Boggo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:08 pm Well I'm not restricted to what a low budget 1980's movie can afford for special effects :D
Yes, it is low budget, but Beastmaster is a classic of the B-movies of that era
Mental Elf

Post by Mental Elf »

wilm wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:44 pm
Boggo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:08 pm Well I'm not restricted to what a low budget 1980's movie can afford for special effects :D
Yes, it is low budget, but Beastmaster is a classic of the B-movies of that era
https://youtu.be/OTDt5PuETLA
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.
miqued

Post by miqued »

I posted this to MeWe earlier. The next logical step for a death dragon, turning into a mobile nuclear bunker:

Necromatic Concrete Dragon
Armor Class: 25
Hit Dice: 16** (+12)
No. of Attacks: 2 claws+paralysis/1 bite or breath/1 tail
Damage: 2d4 claws, 8d4 bite, 16d8 breath, 2d4 tail
Movement: 20' Fly 60'
Save As: F 16
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: H x2
XP: 3,520

The Necromatic Concrete Dragon is a more advanced form of a Death Dragon (c.f. Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1). It is a result of the latter creature encasing its skeletal structure with enchanted concrete, further fortifying the creature. The concrete moves with the creature like skin would, but it is otherwise very solid. Like the death dragon, a necromatic concrete dragon's claws have a paralyzing ghoul effect that affects all character types, requiring a save vs Paralysis at -2 to resist. A necromatic concrete dragon can still fly, although it relies on magic rather than its wings to do so. Additionally, it may choose to liquify its concrete shell, revealing its skeletal form underneath and doubling its movement rates. It will usually do this only when it feels like it has no choice but to flee or die, as the encasing process requires a lot of material and energy. Those who observe this sloughing off of its shell may be required to make a Morale check to avoid running away in terror for 2d6 rounds. The liquified concrete becomes mundane and begins to cure as if freshly poured. It will be solid enough to walk on after 24 hours and completely cured after a week.

In place of the freezing cloud of a death dragon, a necromatic concrete dragon exhales a 50' diamater cloud of hot, alkaline vapors that both scald and chemically burns the skin, eyes, and airways of a creature. A creature that is hit by the breath weapon, even if they successfully save, regains the lost hit points at half the normal natural rate. Additionally, an affected creature must be fully rinsed with water within 1d6 turns or else their skin will begin to fall off, causing damage equivalent to the full amount of damage rolled for the breath weapon, the hit points for which are regained at the same half-rate mentioned previously. A failed save indicates blindness and half lung capacity until the hit points are restored, in addition to the prior effects.

The process of a death dragon becoming a necromatic concrete dragon takes two months of necrotic rituals and over a dozen tons of concrete. Because of this, one should rarely just "appear" in a campaign. Instead, it should be used as a monster that gradually comes to existence. As an example, a dragon, maybe already a recurring nemesis in the campaign, will at some point choose to become a death dragon. In pursuit of greater power, the death dragon pursues this option, perhaps in defense against adventurers or in hopes to overcome them after a loss or stalemate in prior conflict. The players should see the evolution of this villain into this final form over time.
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

one of these with a 2 handed use spear, a whip and 3 scimitars is terrifying fyi
Infernal, Marilith
Armour Class: 16 (m)
Hit Dice: 7**
No. of Attacks: 6 claws or weapons
Damage: 1d6 per claw or weapon
Movement: 30'
Save As: Fighter: 7
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: None
XP: 800
A Marilith is a powerful infernal, with the upper body of a beautiful woman and the lower body of a serpent. Its six arms are long and slender, and its skin is a deep red with black markings. Mariliths are highly intelligent and often use their beauty and charm to manipulate others.
In battle, a Marilith attacks with all six of its claws or weapons, each inflicting 1d6 points of damage. They are skilled with scimitars, spears, and whips, but can wield any weapon with ease.
In addition to its six attacks, a Marilith can breathe a cone of fire up to 30 feet long once per day, dealing 6d6 damage to all creatures in the area.
It is immune to fire and poison, and resistant to cold and electricity. Marilith can see in the dark and have the ability to detect invisible or hidden objects at will. Mariliths have a spell-like ability to cast polymorph self and charm person, each once per day.
When encountered, Mariliths will attempt to seduce or deceive their opponents before engaging them in battle.
Last edited by Boggo on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Years ago I wrote up serpent men for my sword & sorcery campaign. They were originally for AD&D, so here are the BFRPG conversions.

Serpent Men

Common Serpent Men
Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 4**
No. of Attacks: 1 bite or 1 weapon
Damage: 1d6 or by weapon type
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 2d4
Save As: Fighter 4
Treasure Type: C
XP Value: 320

Greater Serpent Men
Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 6***
No. of Attacks: 1 bite or 1 weapon
Damage: 1d6 + poison or by weapon type
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 1d3
Treasure Type: Cx2
XP Value: 665

These vile creatures once ruled the world and wish to do so again. Driven underground by humanity centuries ago, the serpent men plan their revenge and wait for the right moment to strike. They use their special abilities to infiltrate human societies, destroying what they cannot subjugate.

All serpent men can shape shift to human form, but they cannot change their chosen human appearance. They also have the ability to charm humans with their hypnotic gaze. Their charm ability acts as a Charm Person spell.

Greater serpent men are the rulers and high priests of the clans. The clan leaders always take on the title of king or queen, and they always have maximum hit points. They are accompanied by 3-5 common serpent men with maximum hit points acting as their bodyguards. High priests are often aided by 1-3 sub-priests, which can be common serpent men. Only greater serpent men can be high priests.

The priests can perform rituals that requires a sacrifice of a living being; humans are preferred, but other humanoids work as well. The total number of hit dice of the victims (more than one may be sacrificed at one time) would grant a spell from the PHB of equal spell level. Victims with less than 1 hit die count as a half level, so two zero-level humans would be needed to cast a first level spell. Rituals include healing, animate dead, area effect spells, or summoning otherworldly beings. Only high priests can perform rituals, but they need the assistance of the sub-priests for the various tasks required in the ritual.

Serpent men cannot learn or cast spells like humans do. Likewise, humans cannot replicate serpent man rituals and gain spell ability in this fashion.
Seven

Post by Seven »

ThorinSchmidt wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:12 pm Okay, please please please please PLEASE don't hate me! (Well, maybe a *little* bit is justified)

When I read the Lamia post (well done, btw) the pun "Lame-ia" just popped into my head.
The lamia is sometimes confused with the Empusa which had a single leg of copper or one donkey leg, which renders the monster lame.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

For those interested the variant Hobgoblin I use, which is halfway (HD wise) between Goblins (1-1) and Bugbears (3+1) at 2 HD

Hobgoblin
Armour Class: 14 (11)
Hit Dice: 2
No. of Attacks: 1 weapon
Damage: 1d8 or by weapon
Movement: 30' Unarmoured 40'
No. Appearing: 1d6, Wild 2d4, Lair 4d8
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: Q, R each; D, K in lair
XP: 75

Hobgoblins are larger cousins of goblins, being between four and a half, and five feet tall. Their hair colour ranges from dark reddish-brown to dark grey. They have dark orange or red-orange skin. Males have bulbous blue or red noses. Hobgoblins' eyes are yellowish or dark brown, while their teeth are yellow. Their garments tend to be brightly coloured, often blood red with black-tinted leather.
They are better organised than their smaller kin, and are also better adapted to life in the sun. Most wear leather armour and carry wooden shields for armour. As with most goblinoids, they have Darkvision with a 30' range
Tribes of hobgoblins prefer to live in walled villages, or preferably in castles, and are quite willing to overrun villages or castles built by other races rather than build their own. Some tribes do choose to live underground.
Some hobgoblins ride dire wolves (page 240) into combat, and large groups of hobgoblins will often employ them to track and attack their foes.
Hobgoblins have a well-known hatred of elves, and will attack them whenever they think they can win.
One out of every six hobgoblins will be a warrior of 4 Hit Dice (240 XP). Regular hobgoblins gain a +1 bonus to their morale if they are led by a warrior. In hobgoblin lairs, one out of every twelve will be a chieftain of 6 Hit Dice (500 XP) in chainmail with an Armour Class of 15 (11) and a movement of 20', having a +1 bonus to damage due to strength. In lairs of 30 or greater, there will be a hobgoblin king of 8 Hit Dice (875 XP), adding a shield for an Armour Class of 16 (11) (movement is still 20') having a +2 bonus to damage.
In the lair, hobgoblins never fail a morale check as long as the king is alive. In addition, a lair has a chance equal to 1-2 on 1d6 of a shaman being present (or 1-3 on 1d6 if a hobgoblin king is present), and 1 on 1d6 of a witch or warlock. A shaman is equivalent to a hobgoblin warrior statistically, but has Clerical abilities at level 1d6+1. A witch or warlock is equivalent to a regular hobgoblin, but has Magic-User abilities of level 1d6.