Move then Attack

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Falstaff

Move then Attack

Post by Falstaff »

Hey all

I'm considering allowing characters the option to Move then Attack (as per the standard rules) or to Attack then Move if they are unengaged after they attack.

I'm not sure what knock-on effects this might have though, so I thought I'd ask those more experienced with the system than myself.

Thank you
Boggo

Re: Move then Attack

Post by Boggo »

the game is designed around the characters turn ending after they perform their main action which is the attack, I can't think of any effect your change would have by knock on, though I'm not really sure what you are trying to fix with this change? I don't see what advantage this change would create, if the nearest enemy is dead when the characters turn comes up, they can move to, then attack a new one. Unless you are trying to enable, kill this enemy, move halfway to distant enemy, then next round move the rest of the way and attack? seems to be something that wouldn't come up often enough to make the change warranted in my opinion, but YMMV
No matter where you go...there you are
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The only real effect would be on those attacking from a distance if they shoot and move so they can get cover, but it won't be "unreal" or really break anything, just make them harder to deal with.

In melee combat it would mean that the character can close distance with another opponent after dispatching of one opponent.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

I play other systems that allow this. Now I haven’t played with a lot with these systems but what I have, it didn’t break those games at all. It does change some things tactically but in a good way.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

As long as monsters and NPCs can also do this, there really shouldn't be any problems. It'll slightly change the dynamics of combat, as per being able top take cover after shooting, but the playing field is level, so no one is really gaining an advantage, it's just making things a little more complicated. not from a game mechanic standpoint, but from a strategy standpoint.

Not really my cup of tea, but that's not a deciding factor for you. It might be really fun.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

ThorinSchmidt wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:12 am As long as monsters and NPCs can also do this, there really shouldn't be any problems.
Agreed.
virgaketchup

Post by virgaketchup »

Allowing characters to Attack then Move would give them more flexibility in combat, but it could also have some balance implications. It would allow ranged attackers to move out of melee range after attacking, making it more difficult for melee fighters to engage them. It could also make it easier for hit-and-run tactics, where a character could move in, attack, and then retreat without fear of being attacked in return. On the other hand, it could also allow melee fighters to move into position before attacking, which could be useful for flanking and tactical positioning. It could also make combat more dynamic and interesting, with characters moving around the battlefield more freely.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

As a GM it would allow me to really harass my players with archers that keep kiting out of reach :twisted:

While I know other systems allow movement and actions to be interleaved, or even have movement broken (move a bit, do something, move a bit more), I’ve never felt I needed this in BFRPG. In fact, the restrictions force the players to choose more carefully what they do. Want to retreat? Fine, but you lose your attack that round (unless they have ranged attacks, and really, I think all the fighters should be carrying bows but my players don’t seem to agree).
I'm also on RPGG
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

virgaketchup wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:47 pm Allowing characters to Attack then Move would give them more flexibility in combat, but it could also have some balance implications. It would allow ranged attackers to move out of melee range after attacking, making it more difficult for melee fighters to engage them. It could also make it easier for hit-and-run tactics, where a character could move in, attack, and then retreat without fear of being attacked in return. On the other hand, it could also allow melee fighters to move into position before attacking, which could be useful for flanking and tactical positioning. It could also make combat more dynamic and interesting, with characters moving around the battlefield more freely.
In all fairness, the original post said the mechanic was: if a player was unengaged after attacking, to allow them to move. which means they hadn't already moved, which further implies the PC is already in melee, dispatches their opponent, and so moves afterward. There was nothing in there about partial move-attack-partial move.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin