Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by Dimirag »

If someone says "this is it" or something similar...
EpN_3XhXYAIhvBK.jpg
EpN_3XhXYAIhvBK.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
TPFox

Post by TPFox »

Solo,
I had a design question about random encounter tables used in the past and now in r126.

The wilderness encounter tables are well designed as the rarer higher or lower rolls with the 2d8 are the rolls with something the most terrible such as a dragon.

I understand that the range of difficulty on a random encounter on a single dungeon level of encounters is not as dynamic as each wilderness terrain, but I wanted to know why a 1d12 is used rather than a 2d8? It could be a way to emphasis what kind of creature is more common, and what kind of creature is rarer.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Honestly, I had no basis for making any dungeon monster more or less likely than any other.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
TPFox

Post by TPFox »

Ok, now I know what was probably in my head when I was looking at that. It's probably in the first edition of a game I won't mention here where monsters are listed with an extra stat "frequency." But this game doesn't have it.

I guess getting into the the frequency of certain dungeon encounters would depend on a specific setting and particular adventure. Otherwise, your general ones provide a quick tool.

Ok, never mind. I'm all good with r126 now.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

I've always felt it's up to the GM or a module author to think about what's common or rare in their particular dungeon. It's quite simple to write a 2dx table. Just remember the common stuff goes in the middle, rarer towards the top and bottom entries.

Lately I've found myself prepping random encounters ahead of a session. I think about the 1 or 2 most likely encounters that would make sense and jot down a few notes.
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

TPFox wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:24 am Ok, now I know what was probably in my head when I was looking at that. It's probably in the first edition of a game I won't mention here where monsters are listed with an extra stat "frequency." But this game doesn't have it.
That's a 1E feature; OSRIC may have it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

TL/DR: To improve usability of the PDF bookmarks, Outline Level on style SpellSubHeading should be set to either 4 or "Text Body". It is currently set to 3 in r126. This doesn't warrant a new release, just a suggestion for future releases.

This does not affect the print version and I don't suggest a new release just for this, but it might be worth setting the Outline Level on SpellSubHeading to "Text Body". With the current setting of 3, it adds the spell sub heading line to the PDF bookmarks for every spell, doubling the number of bookmarks, and making only every second one contain the spell name:
SpellSubHeading = 3
SpellSubHeading = 3
Screenshot 2023-04-02 191331.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Additionally, since the spell range is on the same line as the spell name, and shares the SpellHeading style, it makes the bookmark text include the range text. There is no easy fix to this, and I don't suggest bothering to look for one. The bookmarks are perfectly usable once SpellSubHeading is excluded:
SpellSubHeading = Text Body
SpellSubHeading = Text Body
Screenshot 2023-04-02 190630.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Alternately, the Outline Level on SpellSubHeading could be set to 4, making those additional bookmarks nest below the spell name:
SpellSubHeading = 4
SpellSubHeading = 4
Screenshot 2023-04-02 190956.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 642 times
I'm also on RPGG
danielmark_n_3d

Post by danielmark_n_3d »

So one thing that I have noticed in the current version of the Core Rules, is that at varying points in the text "dim light" is specified as a different state but at no point is this explained as to what it means to gameplay. I would recommend including some kind of text under Dungeon Adventurers > Light mentioning how Dim Light might play a part during exploration whether it is a basic -1 or -2 to all sight based actions in Dim Light or something that you deem more appropriate.

Where Dim Light is mentioned:
Pg 12. Under the entry for Candle, the various Lanterns, and Torches.
Pg 27. Under the entry for the spell Light.
Pg 43. Under the entry for Light.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

It's one of the undefined things that's up to the GM to make it whatever they want it to be. it's not supposed to be a rule
No matter where you go...there you are
danielmark_n_3d

Post by danielmark_n_3d »

Just seems odd to define cover but not dim light when the space in dim light is defined. Easy enough to houserule, just looked like an oversight and wanted to mention