75 lakeside Adventures Additional Backgrounds

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
TallDwarf

75 lakeside Adventures Additional Backgrounds

Post by TallDwarf »

During our campaign's session zero we came up with some additional backgrounds available to players and NPCs in our world.

They are :
The Foreign Exchange Student
The Kid that went away for a summer and came back Mature/Cool/Attractive
The Older Sibling that came back after serving in the Military
The Metal Head / Punk Rocker
The Surfer / Skater
The Boy Scout / Girl Guide
The Rich Kid
The Bus Driver

Anyone else using any interesting backgrounds?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: 75 lakeside Adventures Additional Backgrounds

Post by Solomoriah »

In my online group, a player in Argentina is playing the Visiting Kid. His father vacationed in Lakeside, as do a lot of well-off folks, but he chose the midwestern US because it was much safer than Argentina at that time. As a result, that character lives in a house he doesn't have to pay for with servants to cook and clean for him, and drives a fancy car as well.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

My backgrounds are all oriented toward who they were as kids, when they first met and hung out together. So for example, I wouldn't include the Bus Driver because that's an adult role. One of the kids might grow up to be a bus driver, but that's a whole different thing.

And canonically, the Fat Kid could be the "Kid that went away for a summer and came back Mature/Cool/Attractive"

You're starting your game differently than I did, though, so naturally your roles are different.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
TallDwarf

Post by TallDwarf »

Most definitely the fat kid and the Mature/Cool/Attractive kid could be the same background.

We just really liked the idea of using quick backgrounds that conveyed an archetype or trope for the PCs and for "main" NPCs (there is also a chance that the players will end up playing one or more of them if their characters die or become temporarily unavailable) and it made the world building and initial scenes a lot easier for me. I realize we are getting a bit a way from the intended use of the backgrounds in the book (which serve their purpose brilliantly) All of our backgrounds do relate to the party as teens. The metal head grew up to be a cop, the older military sibling had struggles and is now a counselor, etc. The bus driver background is actually the bus driver that drove them to and from school as kids.

Anyways, really enjoying everything about Iron Falcon and Lakeside. Especially loving Lakeside's layout, flow, and presentation.