Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Hywaywolf

Re: Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert enjoys his meal as he quietly listens to the banter around the table. He sits in an area of the table such that the casual observer would miss his presence. The only time he is noticeable is when he quickly leans forward to assure his acquisition of a portion of the fine port Mandross purchased. Doughbert isn't too concerned about how they get to Westport whether it be with this Shaw fellow or just the group on their own. Just as long as they get there. he is pretty sure he can find a a Temple devoted to Loche where he can find a tutor to hone his skills. The only time he speaks up is when Madross comments on Tannen's question.

"Sure, you'd rather ride than walk, but we'd be riding anyway if Kitchener hadn't of liberated our horse from us."
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Joe the Rat wrote:Returning to Benoni's tale, "Anything else odd - odors, other noises, nervous drivers? He does sound an odd fellow, or perhaps a bit hard on his luck. Maybe he's here for the owl droppings... What? Oh, they're supposed to be good luck or something. Was he looking a bit shabby? Is he here by any chance?" Speaking more to the group in general, "Any of you more local fellows know of him? Do I know of him? No, silly question..."
Benoni looks around, startled at the thought that Shaw might be in the room with them, and spills stout onto his shirt. Benoni seems to ignore the stain, as if this is a regular occurrence. I don't see him here, nor his four teamsters. The teamsters are a solid lot, but pretty unimaginative. He didn't seem to pay them, at least they didn't talk about it, but he called at least two of them 'Cousin'. Perhaps they are part of the same family. They all have rhyming names: Ben, Fen, Pen, and Len, but I think those are nicknames, or shortenings of longer ones. Shaw called Pen 'Pennington' once. I assume he's got them watching over his wagons, stored up in a barn somewhere, he says. Benoni thinks a minute. When we were on the road, he wore road clothes. You know, leathers and strong clothes that could bear the dust and dirt. When he had me brought up on charges though, he was quite well dressed, if I say so myself. The stern cut to his clothes, little bit of lace at the cuffs, and crisp white shirt made him much more convincing a soul than I, I fear, he adds.
Joe the Rat wrote:
Birthright wrote:We're under no obilgation to stick with this guy (the merchant, Shaw), are we?
Assuming Tannen actually mutters something to that effect "Now, now, a case of poor management doesn't mean he's a bad fellow altogether. I'm open to alternatives, but its two days travel, and personally, I'd rather ride than walk."
The wagons have both a seat in the front and in the back, plus, if you can get Shaw to agree to it, people could stand on the roofs. Plenty of place for all of you, I mean us, to ride, but only if Shaw lets you touch his precious wagons, replies Benoni bitterly.

We've got lots of obligations, adds Paladin. but I don't see this Shaw guy as a major one. He wants guards, he pays us. No whittling us down a copper at a time. Paladin looks sober for a moment. We don't deal with the goblins, we won't be able to walk in the Lonely Wood ever again. That's a bigger obligation.

Paladin perks up as a broad-shouldered, statuesque woman enters the Wheatsheaf. That's Karl's cousin. Excuse me. I need to tell her how I fought a minotaur to save a woman, adds Paladin. Answer their questions, if they have any more Paladin directs Benoni. Then be ready in the morning. We meet here, and you are coming too. Paladin leans over to Benoni and sticks a gold coin in his shirt pocket, hops down from his chair, and heads across the room towards the woman, surprisingly without a stagger.
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus motions to the party and walks away to the bar, he orders a bowl of stew and a flagon of water on Mandross's tab and takes it to his room. After finishing his meal, he checks all his equipment, packs up and goes to bed in preparation for the following day.

OOC: If I don't already have a room, can I retire to wherever I have been sleeping or getting a room, whichever option is the cheapest.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek listens to the exchanges, a bit aloof about it all. He thinks, "pretty straightforward."

With Gannicus moving off, Nivek likewise gets up to head out. "Boys, pack yer gear. We are off again in the morning." He bids everyone a good evening and goes to get his gear ready.

OOC: Nivek will get ready and will return early.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

Leo keeps his seat nearby as the men talk and the poor, sad man recounts his troubles with his former employer. It is not an unfamiliar tale, as he recalls from his memory stories his father would tell about life on the road. He simply hopes that this man does not cause undue complications for the journey to Westport...

The half-elf ranger sits quietly nursing a drink, watching his new companions and how they talk and act with each other. The two halflings, while cut from the same cloth, do differ somewhat in their approach and attitude. The humans all seem fairly straightforward; the two fighters seem to complement each other well as one does enough talking for the other, who is also new to the group. The third human, a magic user perhaps? Maybe a thief? He seems amiable enough and makes a nice partner for the halfling as a bar-buddy...

The dwarf is, well, typically dwarven, Leo thinks. A man of religious temperment, to be sure, but still a dwarf. He imagines that this group will be able to handle the tasks laid out for them, as long as no one loses their heads...

Watching the silent fighter and the dwarf head off to rooms elsewhere, he looks to those still downstairs. The halflings continue their carousing and the possible leader, Tannen? seems to be contemplating the stories told and weighing his options.

Looking to Mandross, he smiles and takes a drink, "To your health, sir," as he raises the glass. "To answer your question from earlier, I was born and raised here in Marketstone. Since I was left to my own devices as a young man, I took to wandering the wilds outside of town. They seemed... better suited to me. And what of you? You are no Marketstone native. What brought you here?"
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

OOC: Gannicus will also get up early and be ready to roll.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert finishes his meal, tells the others good night and departs for his sleeping arrangements. he checks all his gear to be sure its all in place and weapons sharpened, then turns in for the night in preperation for an early start in the morning.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The idle chatter continues a little longer into the evening, but one-by-one you retire to bed in anticipation of tomorrow's journey.
JoeCarr28

Shaw's Haulage & Independent Traders

Post by JoeCarr28 »

You rise the following day to a mild autumn morning - somewhat grey and overcast, but warm for the time of year. After a hasty breakfast (a meal not to be luxuriated over at The Wheatsheaf) you gather your belongings and make your way outside. In front of the inn you find four wagons - all fully loaded, covered and ready to roll - which must surely be your ticket to Westport.

As you stand and take in the scene before you, you’re hailed by a portly fellow wearing dusty leathers. Hitching-up his trousers, which immediately settle back down to reveal an unappealing expanse of midriff, he ambles over towards you whilst dabbing at his bright-red and overly sweaty face with a grubby handkerchief.

“Ahhh,” he says amiably, “Good morning. You must be my passengers and honorary guards for this little trip to Westport. Welcome to Shaw’s Haulage & Independent Traders. Now, if you could just buddy-up so that you’re two to a wagon, one at the front and one at the back, and we’ll be on our way. Yes … just put your gear on the roof of your wagon … careful now, all breakages must be paid for. I’ll just nip in and see Mr. Kitchener and we’ll be off.”

Shaw heads inside the inn and leaves you to load your equipment and arrange yourselves on the wagons.

(Mandross - please deduct 5 gp for the excesses of last night - that was an expensive bottle of port!).

~8 am, 15th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus waits for everyone to "buddy up" and takes his place after everyone has taken theirs. He carefully places his backpack on whatever wagon he is accompanying, but keeps his swords strapped to his back.

OOC: he would also be comfortable with some sort of strategic pairing if it was suggested.

Gannicus, Human Fighter