Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Joe the Rat

Re: Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross returns Leo's smile and nod, and notes the fellow's ears. "Ah, yes... Almién.
<Apologies, I'm a bit rusty.>"
He also smiles at the large, quiet fellow, but does not push for a greeting. Yet.

At Paladin's muttering, Mandross replies with "About 50 miles south by road. I'm afraid your bear friend will have to suffer your absence a little bit longer."
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

Business and Religion

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:Doughbert ignores the alcohol on the desk and eyes the bag of gold tossed to Tannen and shakes his head. "I'm not sure why you took it on yourself to dispose of our property and for so little gold in return. Not much can be doin about it now except express my displeasure and request that you don't take such liberties with other folks property in the future if you expect them to stay in your employ. My Lord, Master Loche, would not cast his favor on me if I were to allow such a thing to continue. And I am sure his healing favor is quite likely to come in handy on any job you commission us for. Now, speaking of jobs. What manner of compensation are we looking at?"
Turning to Paladin, Kitchener mutters "See, what did I tell yer about mixing business an' religion?"

Turning back to Doughbert and Tannen, "Yer'll negotiate payment with directly with Mr. Hall for this job. Don't worry, it'll be worth yer while, and Mr. Lock's no doubt."
Iain_IF wrote:This merchants isn't short a couple of guards is he? Paladin idly inquires. He reaches out for Nivek's glass and finds it empty. Frowning, he adds, "Plus we can't work on an empty stomach now, can we? We'll need provisions and whatnot."

"Funny yer should mention that - 'e is a couple o' swords down as it happens. That's why 'e's happy to have a few extra bodies for the journey. If yer needin' any supplies, yer best get yerselves over to the village store and pick up what yer need."
Joe the Rat wrote:At Paladin's muttering, Mandross replies with "About 50 miles south by road. I'm afraid your bear friend will have to suffer your absence a little bit longer."
"Aye, that's right, about 50 miles. It'll take yer a couple o' days. The wagon leaves at 8 o'clock sharp tomorrow mornin'. No doubt yer'll stop overnight at the Fairfield Arms and arrive in Westport sometime during the afternoon of the following day. Make sure yer go and see Hall straight away - it's a matter of some urgency and delicacy. Once yer've got the job done, yer can take some time to see the sights of the city. Right, any last questions before I get back to the business of running an inn?"

~4 pm, 14th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

Leo listens to the exchange between Kitchener and the rest before inquiring, "Will horses be made available, or are we to walk or are we expected to ride the wagons?" He pauses momentarily and shakes his head, "Nevermind, that is a question for Mr. Hall." He looks at Mandross, and in elvish adds, "<These men were better off finding work by themselves. I suspect Bertie will collect a hefty percentage from this run.>"

Waiting a few more moments to see if this meeting has anything of value, Leo mentally begins tracing the journey along the road to Westport.
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Tannen quaffs his drink in one swift motion and replaces the glass on Kitchener's desk, before nodding curtly and leaving the room.

After leaving Bertie, Tannen will distribute the 30gp amongst Mandross (12gp), Paladin (6gp), Nivek (6gp) and Doughbert (6gp). Mandross gets double share as part payment of Tannen's debt.

Tannen will ask around 'quietly' in the inn later that night to see if he can find out what happened to the merchant's two guards...
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus Motions politely to the group and exits the room. He will do some recon on his own and hopefully find out some more information. This group seems to have asked all the questions he would have.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin smiles as he takes the last glass from the table. He shakes his head at how people can pass on free goods! This 'package' isn't smuggling halflings, is it? asks Paladin of Kitchener. The last time I was stuck in one of those little boxes with teeny holes it just wasn't worth it. I mean, chop off human women's hands, sure, that's you humans weird cultural baggage. Prey on your own kind? Definitely not! You have to draw the line somewhere, you know?

Once outside, he takes his coinage from Tannen and then leans over to him and Mandross. I think my man Benoni used to work for this merchant, he says. If you pass him a couple of coins, I'm certain he'll be very willing to dish. Just ignore all the stuff about how you're setting him up to die. He's a bit of a wet blanket. I'm still working on him.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross smirks and nods at Leo's response, and gives Kitchener his best Smooth grin.
(So did Bertie twitch at all from Leo's little elvish dig?)

"Thank you, Kitchener, we'll be ready. Let's be off - I thought I smelled something particularly fine cooking at the Wheatsheaf kitchen- almost up to halfling standards! Let's grab a table later." Mandross will do his best to encourage the others to head back down. With a flourish.

Once away from Bertie's office... "Ah... Hmmm... Well, at the very least I would like to meet this roustabout you've acquired, Paladin. Sounds like a delightful companion. And we have new faces to get used to, new stories to hear. Come, let's get to know our new assoc...iates... hey, where did the big guy go? Mmm, we should catch him later. I've got a spot of business to take care of before evening. Let's meet back at the inn for a meal. Dinner and a round on me... ONE round, Paladin."
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert takes his 6 gold pieces and hands them to Mandross, "My share of the big guy's expenses. Besides, that's tainted money; If I accepted it my Lord might see it as being complicit in my own lack of devout asset protection. I do not much like being seen as in the service of this man Kitchener. But as i was needing to travel to westport anyway, I might as well travel in the company of my new companions."

He nods to all present and says, "shall we visit this Mr. Hall and ascertain the nature of this business?"
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus spends the next 40 minutes talking to a few of the acquaintances he'd made while staying in town about the proposed job. Satisfied with the information he gathered he makes his way back to the inn and sits by himself at a table.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign
JoeCarr28

Hefty Percentage

Post by JoeCarr28 »

_Silveredged wrote: He looks at Mandross, and in elvish adds, "<These men were better off finding work by themselves. I suspect Bertie will collect a hefty percentage from this run.>"
Kitchener gives no indication that he understands what Leo has said in elvish.
Iain_IF wrote:This 'package' isn't smuggling halflings, is it?[/color] asks Paladin of Kitchener.
"No, it ain't 'alflings - it's summat a good deal more valuable than that. Abe'll fill yer in on the details when you meet with him down in Westport"
Arehzo wrote:Gannicus spends the next 40 minutes talking to a few of the acquaintances he'd made while staying in town about the proposed job. Satisfied with the information he gathered he makes his way back to the inn and sits by himself at a table.
Gannicus makes a few casual enquiries, but nobody he speaks to has ever heard of an Abraham Hall living in Westport.