Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm against "tinkertoy" monsters in general. Those are the ones built out of stats and powers rather than story. Yes, there are some in the Core Rules that are that way, but at least they have the weight of tradition behind them.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
mithrandir138

Post by mithrandir138 »

Just a suggestion: maybe add one of those convenient tables that shows the list of monsters by hit die (or something to the equivalent of a "CL" in D&D terms)? This comes in really handy.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

mithrandir138 wrote:Just a suggestion: maybe add one of those convenient tables that shows the list of monsters by hit die (or something to the equivalent of a "CL" in D&D terms)? This comes in really handy.
Yes, I have long-term plans for adding some appendix material (indexes, encounter tables, etc.) but that stuff must wait until we get down to a final set of creatures... and that might be off for a while as I want to expand the listings greatly still (perhaps for a release 4).

Right now, release 3 is intended as a major cleanup effort.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Bumped Thread to put it back up front for me to remember to get back to this soon.

But, if anyone has any new things to share, please add them.

Link to some critters made by MedievalMan
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=557
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Smoot what sort of monsters are you looking for? Just generic dungeon trash? Or monsters that have a bit more character?

By that I mean monsters that can be used for more than just combat encounters.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Smoot what sort of monsters are you looking for? Just generic dungeon trash? Or monsters that have a bit more character?

By that I mean monsters that can be used for more than just combat encounters.
There is no specific criteria or direction that needs to be taken. I only suggest that one tries to refrain from too much detail or specifics on monsters... leave that to the GM to decide upon instead of spoon-feeding all the behaviors, complete cultural and social norms, or otherwise trying to force it.

I strip out much of the details of appearance (leaving only very roughly described), as well as only the roughest ecology information... it saves space, and I think it enhances the game when you allow the creativity to have open boundaries, rather than trying to define too much.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've got another Nazgorean in the works, BTW. Will try to get it in here soon.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I've got another Nazgorean in the works, BTW. Will try to get it in here soon.
Nice

Nazgorians are a great original monster 'type'... once I dealt with them, I felt that they would be a great way to really give BFRPG a unique flair/flavor. Something that really sets the game apart from its inspirational material or other 'retro-games'.

I would like additional focus put on them, so if you have other ideas for them please share (even if unfinished thoughts). Perhaps one of our more artful members might light to illustrate them?!?!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Any other new monsters?

Seems there is a fair amount of stuff gather up still. JDN's newest modules have some critters to bring over too.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Need any of my monsters? I think I posted them all.