Hex Mapping Symbols

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Hex Mapping Symbols

Post by Solomoriah »

Here are some hex mapping symbols I've made, and a sheet of hex paper scaled to work with them. In Gimp, use the magic wand tool to select the white space inside a hex, then paste a symbol in and it will be properly aligned. For best results, use a recent Gimp and add a transparent layer on top where you'll paste the symbols so removing them will be easier if you change your mind.

This symbol set is not nearly complete. Please post suggestions/requests for additional symbols and I'll create them as I have time.
Attachments
capitol.png
capitol.png (12.75 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
pineforest-mountains.png
pineforest-mountains.png (13.05 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
pineforest-hills.png
pineforest-hills.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
pineforest.png
pineforest.png (14.47 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
mountains.png
mountains.png (9.21 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
hills.png
hills.png (17.4 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
forest-mountains.png
forest-mountains.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
forest-hills.png
forest-hills.png (12.8 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
forest.png
forest.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
hexpage.xcf
(3.37 MiB) Downloaded 189 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Hex Mapping Symbols

Post by SmootRK »

More tree/forest types. Personally, I think there should be symbols for Tropical (palm or coconut type trees) and a Bamboo sort of tree symbol (this one is especially not well represented).

Bogs, swamps, swampy forests (cypress).

Some symbols to represent barrens, desert, badlands, etc. Within this set, Oasis and Oasis with settlement/town.

I also like to see town/civilization tiles from like farmland, village, town, city (and perhaps a major city/metropolis). A dot or star on a map just does not do it for me, lol.

Of course, the nature of such tiles depends on the scale being utilized.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm More tree/forest types. Personally, I think there should be symbols for Tropical (palm or coconut type trees) and a Bamboo sort of tree symbol (this one is especially not well represented).
I can draw a palm tree, but I have no idea how to compactly represent bamboo.
SmootRK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm Bogs, swamps, swampy forests (cypress).
What would be the visual difference between "bog" and "swamp?"
SmootRK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm Some symbols to represent barrens, desert, badlands, etc. Within this set, Oasis and Oasis with settlement/town.
Desert is in the plans. Badlands I'm less clear on how to draw, and the same for barrens. Not clear what an oasis would look like either.
SmootRK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm I also like to see town/civilization tiles from like farmland, village, town, city (and perhaps a major city/metropolis). A dot or star on a map just does not do it for me, lol.
If someone else wants to take them on, I'm good with it. Dots and stars have always been fine with me.
SmootRK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm Of course, the nature of such tiles depends on the scale being utilized.
The hexes have 112 x 98 interiors (with the corners cut off, obviously). The symbols I'm using are limited to around 85 pixels wide by about 80 pixels high, adjusted as I see fit after I lay them over a hex-fill tile. I don't plan for the symbols to touch the sides of the hexes, but roads and streams will have to. Those, incidentally, are coming next.

Real old maps often showed roads and streams and the like in otherwise-blank tiles. I'm going to lay mine out like that, but you can overlay a road or stream over a terrain tile by graying the terrain tile layer out a bit, which may be how I use them.

Yes, I'm writing an adventure that needs a hex map. Finally...
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

This site seems to have some great examples to emulate:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/s ... amp-D-Maps

Bog is generally land... mushy and broken up with little bodies of water. Difficult to navigate, but do-able.
While true swamp is similar but more waterways than land, and as far as navigating one would generally need boat/raft or something similar to move through.

All just tidbits to inspire what you are doing. I will see if I can find bamboo forest sort of example in similar size. Maybe something like this link shows:
https://images.app.goo.gl/W9wkShZWupFBWBH96
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
borgar

Post by borgar »

Ooh, I agree that bamboo is a challenge. Especially trying to get something that doesn't totally break with the other symbols. I tried out a few things but most attempts wasn't as not even close to work. Possibly something like this may work
bamboo.png
bamboo.png (26 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
Basically a bamboo stick with some leaves somewhere to indicate that it's "alive".
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nice, but possibly too detailed to shrink to the target size.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 pm Nice, but possibly too detailed to shrink to the target size.
That is certainly possible. I actually did try to make a figure with only two "bamboo segments" but then it sort of stops being bamboo like (at least to my eyes).

To be honest I'm not convinced it's really necessary to cover an extensive variety of trees anyway, a few general types would cover most needs "round (leafy) tree" and "pointed (needle) tree" covers quite a lot (though some sort of tropical trees would be nice). It was just sort of an interesting challenge.

Since bamboo is a reed it might be cover by some sort of grass/reed type symbol as well.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Y'know what, it actually works pretty well. The image you posted is a hair too tall, but it scaled nicely, and with a little hack and slash (I mean cut and paste) I get this:
bamboo.png
bamboo.png (10.64 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Let's add some more:
Attachments
bamboo-mountains.png
bamboo-mountains.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
bamboo-hills.png