Dungeon Generator

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
zeruhur

Dungeon Generator

Post by zeruhur »

Since I started playing RPGs again last year (BFRPG was the first rulebook I bought), I first focused on solo-playing.
I have a soft spot for dungeons and hexcrawls random generation tables and I have followed with interest the development of the Hexcrawl Procedures supplement.
That supplement's dungeon generation method (dice drop on paper sheet), however, is simply not my favorite one, although it's a good one.
This is my attempt to propose an alternative procedural generation method (inspired by the famous Appendix A).
It is my intention to also write a solo engine in the future to support both this and the Hexcrawl Procedures supplements.
For now, I am submitting this first attempt to you and look forward to receiving feedback and suggestions.
Attachments
BFRPG-Dungeon-Generator-r1.odt
(38.38 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
Mark Corder

Re: Dungeon Generator

Post by Mark Corder »

I learned to play solo from the same "Appendix A" way back when the 1e books were new, and I too have rediscovered solo play and my love of RPGs in general thanks to BFRPG. (It's the only rulebook I've bought! Several of the supplements too.) I've used that same Random Dungeon system for BFRPG for a while, but I've always thought it was a little lacking myself. So lately I've had the same idea of writing my own system similar to the classic one. I'm about half-done with the tables, then of course I want to test it for a while...

And it looks like you're on the same track! I look forward to seeing you add to this and I'll be glad to help you play test it!
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

I have not had time to look through this document yet but I love a hood random generator. Looking forward to how this shapes up.
Would you by any chance consider posting in pdf format as well so it can be viewed on phones?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Very nice work 8-) Here's a proposed r2.
Attachments
BFRPG-Dungeon-Generator-r2.pdf
(90.92 KiB) Downloaded 824 times
BFRPG-Dungeon-Generator-r2.odt
(39.93 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

This is a cool little set of procedures that would fit nicely in the back of the Core rules I would think. Nice work guys.
zeruhur

Post by zeruhur »

Mark Corder wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:30 pm I learned to play solo from the same "Appendix A" way back when the 1e books were new, and I too have rediscovered solo play and my love of RPGs in general thanks to BFRPG. (It's the only rulebook I've bought! Several of the supplements too.) I've used that same Random Dungeon system for BFRPG for a while, but I've always thought it was a little lacking myself. So lately I've had the same idea of writing my own system similar to the classic one. I'm about half-done with the tables, then of course I want to test it for a while...

And it looks like you're on the same track! I look forward to seeing you add to this and I'll be glad to help you play test it!
Thank you, I would be glad if you could give some feedback on a play test basis!
The generator is pretty done, since I am not eager to make it too much cumbersome. I tested it myself and it seems to work fine for my needs, but I am aware that someone could need some more meat, so I am open to suggestions! And it requires some fine tuning for sure.
Mark Corder

Post by Mark Corder »

I tried your system and I like it! I use a GM emulator for solo play (I prefer Mystic) and your system is simple enough to work nicely with one. I could imagine this along with a few charts forming a simple 2 or 3-sheet "solo kit".

It's ironic that this topic came up here, because I've been working on a system for solo play since the first of the year - but solo RPG play seems to be an increasingly popular topic, probably because of Covid and lockdowns...

I'd like to share what I've been using - here's a few notes:

It's meant to be "modular": you can use the Dungeon Generation part with any suitable RPG, then you "plug-in" the Encounter and Treasure tables from the game's SRD. In the example I'm posting, I've left the modified Random Encounters and the Traps sections, but removed the Treasure section because it's just an unmodified copy of what's in the core rules. (And it's like, 6 extra pages!)

I think in terms of having these pages printed and in front of you while you work, so you'll see I've left "Custom" columns so you can pencil-in your own point-spreads to modify the tables - and change them anytime you want to re-balance the odds.

Please read the first page of the attached document for a little more info, and feedback is appreciated!
Attachments
Random-Dungeons-by-Mark_v0.1_NO-TRESURE.pdf
(54.06 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Random-Dungeons-by-Mark_v0.1_NO-TRESURE.odt
(54.6 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
zeruhur

Post by zeruhur »

Mark Corder wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:09 am I tried your system and I like it! I use a GM emulator for solo play (I prefer Mystic) and your system is simple enough to work nicely with one. I could imagine this along with a few charts forming a simple 2 or 3-sheet "solo kit".
I want indeed create a solo supplement with at least:
  • an oracle
  • alternatives resolution systems to play with one character or one PG + henchmen
  • some basic procedures and advices
I think that modularity it is the key, as someone could use the Dungeon Generator and/or the Hexcrawl Procedures independently of the Solo Engine.
Please read the first page of the attached document for a little more info, and feedback is appreciated!
I will surely give a feedback as soon as I can!
TheBasicExpert

Post by TheBasicExpert »

This is a great little thing for solo or just making dungeons on the fly. It's better than the method presented in the DMG for 5e even I think. More straightforward and simple which is good for using it on the fly. Thanks!