Under the Slumbering Rock Solo Adventure

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Rookie555

Under the Slumbering Rock Solo Adventure

Post by Rookie555 »

So while i planned to have much of bits and pieces laid out with at least one adventure as an initial draft. I'm kind of needing a bit of questions that i could answer to myself easily to get this Solo Adventure all created and made for the community. I will say its my first rodeo to libre office and there are much things I commonly know, but beyond it I'm limited too knowing how it all works. So as I attach the work in progress file. Whatever help i can get is gladly appreciated, though I know i could possibly get this all done with my own ability. This is much of a goal of making a solo adventure like what I'm working with right now.

Questions that arise: I guess the thing i want to ask is when the template has all the body text that explains the use of box text and much of the rest of the text is that how would i organize that will be within that space? Also possibly if there would be any artist around to help with the project or is art acquired from what i've heard free domain art?

Update 1/19/21 10:06 am: The plan for the module
I will put enough effort folks to let people know what to expect for the module. I will make this list upon getting stuff ready for the next few parts:
  • The module will provide an introductory adventure called 'Ruins of the Hopeful Protector' which is more for a new player to start off the game with this adventure. After completing through it they can continue with any of the other four adventures that are not in order.
  • The overall experience for the module will allow a player to make choices as if you were playing with a group per say. Unless doing the introductory which is limited, but going to any direction in the dungeon. Though beyond that the four adventures will simply open up the lands of Daicuria and let you travel. The map will use a square map to outline the surrounding of Daicuria.
  • The game will mention any usage of oracles, game master emulators like mythic to help give some mechanics to move the story forward. If anyone is unfamiliar with oracles unless you know a magic 8 ball. A simple tool called OSR Solo is available on drive-thru-rpg.
  • The lands of Daicuria is small in scope. almost like a puzzle that is a bit incomplete. A good way of it to allow any other campaign worlds can be used to fit into the module. this could add more variety to your game.
Update 1/31/21 9:14 am: Document changes and burn out

Howdy folks, so with much of life I'm dealing with and still taking care of myself. I guess libre office decides to give me a hard time with the continuation of Under the Slumbering Rock, due to some odd responses to how im not able to create new columns or edit what i want to add :?. Also just in general I've been kinda drained of energy of working on the project. Though whatever I'll do I might pair down the game with 3 adventures and then still allow other campaign worlds to fit in with the module itself. So yeah, this is much of the update for this day.
Attachments
DM1-Under-the-Slumbering-Rock-r5.odt
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
d100_Character_Occupations.odt
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Last edited by Rookie555 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rookie555

Re: Under the Slumbering Rock Solo Adventure

Post by Rookie555 »

Ok as i do this currently this is what i have so far. I guess the problem is is how do I reveal nothing in a room whenever if i were running the game. The GM wouldn't tell the players a creature is here, but if anyone is doing it by themselves sees what to expect. it would ruin the surprise? im guessing its that I give choices and then have them flip over to a particular page and they see the answer to the next place.
Seven

Post by Seven »

That's exactly what I've seen done.

Some things can be handled with a table, for example, instead of having a trap in a particular chest, there can be a certain chance of each chest being trapped and you roll on a table what the particular trap is. Odds might differ.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd be surprised if Chi doesn't take a look at this in the next couple of days. He rarely looks at documents over the weekend, kind of the opposite of me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
johndice

Post by johndice »

Fun to see there is a solo adventure in the works! I see some stuff directed to the GM in your sample, or is that info from a template?

I'd be curious to see what style of play you have in mind for this solo adventure. Will it be flipping to pages or something more freeform/oracle orientated?

Cheerio!
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

johndice wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:01 am Fun to see there is a solo adventure in the works! I see some stuff directed to the GM in your sample, or is that info from a template?
Yeah this all was initially using the adventure template because I wouldn't know how much of the modules are laid out in libre-office.

But for how the solo adventure is to be laid out. I guess my intention for it is to be more freeform with some usage of the oracle. One adventure is to be the introductory for a new player of the game. While the rest (about 4) are more you pick any area you'd like to explore. So much of the game lets ya start off in any part that is interpreted by your occupation and how you start off the game normally in BF. much of what I'm thinking of is still rough on the details. So it will eventually makes sense.

I intend to add the lore of the lands of Daicuria before I start/finish the other adventures. which I have the introductory adventure finished and simply filled the OGL.
johndice

Post by johndice »

Heya,

Awesome! Kudos for tackling 4 adventures at the same time :) Will this be a stand-alone experience or will you refer to an already existing oracle/GME system like Mythic or Recluse, or maybe Tom Scutt's DM yourself?

Anyway, really hope you will share some tidbits on how you will approach the experience, as I love BF and IF for solo gaming! Specifically, I look forward to seeing how you handle player surprise/presupposition and keeping freeform play set within the context of the module you are creating.

Cheerio!

John
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Seven wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:40 am That's exactly what I've seen done.

Some things can be handled with a table, for example, instead of having a trap in a particular chest, there can be a certain chance of each chest being trapped and you roll on a table what the particular trap is. Odds might differ.
I too have seen it done that way, some tables to "roll for content" and "roll for details". Some games use a kind of "dungeon level roll" to determine if there are monsters and or treasure and what kind there is.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

If this is a solo adventure, I am thinking that this text isn't needed: If you might be a player in this adventure, stop reading now! Beyond this point lies information meant only for the Game Master's eyes!

Just sayin :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Give him a minute, guys, he's working with an unfamiliar template. Chi or I would help but I don't think either of us know enough about solo adventures, unfortunately.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org