Player Compendium

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Player Compendium

Post by chiisu81 »

Let's put a pause on the back-and-forth, please. I'm fine with the work daryen has done. He clearly knows it won't go onto the Downloads page, as well as needing permission for any artwork. So far this is indeed a true compendium and not a house-rules document.

Please make any future posts in this thread feedback on the document itself, otherwise I'll be forced to temporarily lock the thread to cool things down (and I really don't want to do that, pleeeeease :( )
daryen

Post by daryen »

As an aside, I do want to say that, on my side at least, I didn't feel this was heated or anything, and I learned from it. No feelings were hurt on my side, and I do appreciate the other viewpoints. I can't understand what is going on if I don't state my assumptions and have them challenged. I do thank Dimirag and Smoot (and Bumblepig) for their input and the discussion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:03 pm
First, the formatting of the various files is very inconsistent.
Formatting before Chiisu where a different thing, he's the one that put things on an equal level.
Truth. Before Chi, it was all me doing formatting, and my understanding of how to do it evolved over time. There are definitely things I'd do differently if I did it over again.
Second, the non-spell casting classes really need some love.
Class documents for the most part should NOT include magic items, except when those items are VERY specific to the class (i.e. use spells that are in that supplement, for example).

Let me be blunt here... the supplements on the Downloads page were hand-picked by me. I use many of them (but not all). With few exceptions, they fill in gaps between the game BFRPG mimics and more "advanced" games of the old school era. The exceptions were all chosen by me for specific, and usually different, reasons.

But my vision isn't the only vision. The Showcase is primarily for authors who are good at what they do, in my personal opinion (influenced somewhat by my lieutenants, naturally) but who have items to share that don't fit the criteria I use for the Downloads page. It's neither "better" nor "worse" but it is different.

In the Showcase, original authors retain full creative control over their works. Getting on the Downloads page means ceding some of that control to me, and thus indirectly to other authors (such as daryen, in this case) who make changes I find acceptable. The items daryen has submitted changes for that I have approved were approved because I reviewed the changes and liked them.

So while daryen can update Librum Magica however he likes, it's Smoot's book and it doesn't get uploaded to the Showcase if he disagrees with the changes. As it is a compilation, Librum Magica will never be on the Downloads page; thus, I have no proverbial dogs in the fight.

NOW... if you are an author of an item on the Downloads page, and you have an updated, better version on the Showcase, you need to PM or email me (email is better) to remind me so I can update the Downloads page with your revision. I didn't realize I'd missed anything, and I'm sorry for that. Please update me so I can get those items in my work queue.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Daryen, a couple suggestions to consider:
- Rename the "New Combat Options" section "Class Options" or "Class Capabilities". Animal Afinity in particular has many non-combat applications
- Remove the New Weapons section since those weapons are now included in the Equipment Emporium
daryen

Post by daryen »

I called it New Combat Options because the the Druid Supplement called it New Combat Rules. I like your name better though and will use it.

I didn't realize the Equipment Emporium had all four. I will definitely kill that now!

Thanks for reading it! Any other suggestions will be gladly taken!
daryen

Post by daryen »

I realized I forgot to include the New Races Supplement. I'm going to be added that and some pictures over this week to get it to a new "dot" version.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Also, I have three races (Felisian, Carven, and Wanderwood) in the showcase that you are welcome to add to the "Player Compendium." If they don't fit the theme (or you are only using downloads races), NP. Just making the offer.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
daryen

Post by daryen »

Yeah, I am intentionally restricting to Downloads items (for better or worse).
teaman

Post by teaman »

Here's a gnome illustration for you (and anyone else who needs it). If you need any of the other characters posted here (versus just getting them from my art thread, let me know).
gnome_bw.png
gnome_bw.png (790.07 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
teaman

Post by teaman »

And I reworked this one a bit as a half-elfL
Attachments
halfelf.png
halfelf.png (370.15 KiB) Viewed 3546 times