Player Compendium

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Player Compendium

Post by SmootRK »

Just my opinion, but some of my creations contained in the Showcase are superior to those on the downloads page. I have a feeling some of the other authors feel the same about their own versions of certain supplements.

I agree with Dimi in that the Downloads page contains much "legacy items" in that it contains the earliest supplements or supplements directly provided by earliest contributors (ie Solo and a few others). When it became unwieldy for Solo to manage, he created the showcase where some creations can be directly managed by respective contributors.... NOT as a way to make certain downloads seem sub-standard or not-worthy of a home directly on Downloads page.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
daryen

Post by daryen »

Whether the Downloads page is "better" or "more important" or not, whether there is better stuff in the Showcase page or not, the Downloads page is separated out from the rest. Regardless of why that separation took place and what it means or doesn't mean doesn't change the fact that the Downloads page is reserved for only certain things. It has a higher bar for inclusion than does the Showcase. That exclusivity means something, irrespective of whether it is intended to or not. All I am doing is recognizing that exclusivity.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Why the need to accentuate that "exclusivity" with files that are easily accessible by doing a file that won't be easily accessible as it will be buried on the Workshop at some point?

Are you looking for a "legal" way of doing a "Download Page Content Book" for your own use? To share with your table?
It has a higher bar for inclusion than does the Showcase.
Not higher. Different.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

As an aside, I discovered a couple things while doing this.

First, the formatting of the various files is very inconsistent. (One nice advantage of putting things into a compendium is that it forces standardization!) The font sizes are all over the place, but so are the headings, organization, and even required contents. Even with no Compendium, those Downloads files really need to be gone through so that everything is made consistent.

Second, the non-spell casting classes really need some love. They get: a table. Oooo! At the least they need some magic items or something. Cloak and Boots of Elvinkind for Rangers; a holy weapon or two for Paladins; a nasty blade or two for Assassins; a cool bow, goggles or cloak for Scouts. They need *something*.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Why? The standard classes don't...
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

First, the formatting of the various files is very inconsistent.
Formatting before Chiisu where a different thing, he's the one that put things on an equal level.
Second, the non-spell casting classes really need some love.
They got all they needed to get, adding those other things are not "standard". If a DM thinks they need something they will add it accordingly to their table and gaming style.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:49 pmAre you looking for a "legal" way of doing a "Download Page Content Book" for your own use? To share with your table?
I want a way to get this printed so I can have it for use with my other printed books. I have made no secret of this. I can't do that with separate files. I figure if I go through the trouble to do it, I might as well share it, as it is obvious that others might like such a thing. (Or the topic about such an idea wouldn't be over three years old.) Sure, it'll be "buried", but if someone comes asking for it or looking for it, it won't be that hard to find.
It has a higher bar for inclusion than does the Showcase.
Not higher. Different.
Higher, lower, whatever. The point is it is much, much harder to get a document on Downloads than Showcase. Whether that's "higher" or not doesn't change the fact that it is undeniably much, much more exclusive. And "exclusive" has implications, whether they are intended or not.
daryen

Post by daryen »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:58 pm Why? The standard classes don't...
No, but the standard classes also get a whole stack of magic items to start with, so they're covered. Besides, they are the "basis", so they are pretty bland to start with, anyway.

I'm looking at it from the other direction. The Necromancer gets cool abilities, gets some new pedestrian goodies (some new weapons), new spells that no one else can use, and a page full of cool, thematic magic items. Paladins (to just pick one) get some cool abilities. Just doesn't seem fair. :)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I want a way to get this printed so I can have it for use with my other printed books. I have made no secret of this. I can't do that with separate files. I figure if I go through the trouble to do it, I might as well share it, as it is obvious that others might like such a thing. (Or the topic about such an idea wouldn't be over three years old.) Sure, it'll be "buried", but if someone comes asking for it or looking for it, it won't be that hard to find.
Maybe a private discussion with Solo as to how combine and print for personal use would lead to better results. Remember that if you want illustrations you'll have to ask permission for what is already created but can't ask for new pieces.
Higher, lower, whatever. The point is it is much, much harder to get a document on Downloads than Showcase. Whether that's "higher" or not doesn't change the fact that it is undeniably much, much more exclusive. And "exclusive" has implications, whether they are intended or not.
Harder is just that, harder, not better or higher priority or prestige as you've said, you are reinforcing your own concept, one that has been explained as erroneous.
No, but the standard classes also get a whole stack of magic items to start with, so they're covered. Besides, they are the "basis", so they are pretty bland to start with, anyway.
The subclasses an new classes can also access to those magic items.
I'm looking at it from the other direction. The Necromancer gets cool abilities, gets some new pedestrian goodies (some new weapons), new spells that no one else can use, and a page full of cool, thematic magic items. Paladins (to just pick one) get some cool abilities. Just doesn't seem fair. :)
The Necromancer has those items not because of need, but because it was updated and the person doing that wanted to add such things, they were not part of his initial creation.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:29 pm
The Necromancer has those items not because of need, but because it was updated and the person doing that wanted to add such things, they were not part of his initial creation.
As the person who updated the file, I want to point out that this is NOT correct. The original submission included the magic items (with one exception) and the mundane weapons. All I added to the Necromancer was a single magic item and new spells to get the spell count up to 12-12-12-12-10-10. But the original Necromancer included magic items and weapons from the get-go.

And then I used that as inspiration to add magic items to Druids and Illusionists. But I would never have done that or even really thought of doing that if it weren't for seeing the example of the Necromancer.

So, I didn't start it, though I did spread it. But I picked Necromancer as my example for a reason ...