TV Show Grimm & BFRPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rosisha

TV Show Grimm & BFRPG

Post by Rosisha »

Hello!

Has anyone thought of incorporating the wesen concept into BFRPG? I thought that would make for a very interesting game world. Being a Grimm would perhaps be a class? Something like a knight so definitely fighter based. Just was curious what people might think of that idea! I especially like the concept of everyday people who are also "monsters".
GrimlinJoe

Re: TV Show Grimm & BFRPG

Post by GrimlinJoe »

This would be a very cool concept. I've often thought what it would be like to have a class that specializes in monster hunting akin to that of Sam and Dean Winchester or Larry Correia's Monster hunter international.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Do you really need a class?
In term of gaming, it seems more a matter of having some motivation for hunting critters.
Does it pay the bills to wander from town to town looking for monsters hiding among the population? Any group can investigate haunted manors and castles, once the party is high enough to deal with the various undeads, that is.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Seven wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 am Do you really need a class?
I will second this. Rather than a single class, I think the vocation of monster hunting (like any goal or generalized profession) takes a team with different talents... much like any other adventuring troop.

I don't think it requires a specific class... though possibly one might be able to group a few abilities or bonuses together and make it into a quasi-class or perhaps just a 'background' or similar sort of add-on to a base class. IE - you have learned tricks of the trade of tracking down and hunting of beings from the netherworld.

But golly, isn't being from the beyond or whatever a big part of so many monster entries.... so much for fantasy realms that I feel like it is a "Given". It is already expected profession/behavior of adventurers, eh?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Seven

Post by Seven »

On the other hand, some specialized magic items could play a role.
Or a subdued monster of some sort. Like a familiar.
If there are some special abilities that you need, you can throw them in there and it could get lost or stolen, etc...
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Just noticed that the ranger class fits very much the beast/monster hunter class I was looking for :)
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Check out the "Hunter" quasi-class for a nice way to go about cusotmizing characters. The Hunter quasi-class basically allwos you to add the ranger skills ontop of any other class. So you could have a "Fighter (Hunter)" which would give you a fighter with the Tracking and survival skills. Or a "Magic-user (Hunter)" who would obviosuly be a weak magic-user with tracking and survival skills etc.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Oh now that's just awesome
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

You betcha. BFRPG gets it done right. You could have a whole party of fight(hunters) who each specialize in different weapons (combat options supplement) and alk have a different "favored enemy " as per the hunter/ranger ability.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

CptClyde wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 pm Check out the "Hunter" quasi-class for a nice way to go about cusotmizing characters. The Hunter quasi-class basically allwos you to add the ranger skills ontop of any other class. So you could have a "Fighter (Hunter)" which would give you a fighter with the Tracking and survival skills. Or a "Magic-user (Hunter)" who would obviosuly be a weak magic-user with tracking and survival skills etc.
For some reason i was unable to find the "hunter" quasi-class. where was this located?