Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post by chiisu81 »

:D
Attachments
awwwyeahgif.gif
awwwyeahgif.gif (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4749 times
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Back at it, doing final corrections/comparisons. I got stumped by the Heal spell:

"The reversed spell, harm, injures the creature touched so horribly that it is left with only 1d4 hit points. The caster must succeed at a normal attack roll in this case; failure means the spell is wasted. Note that, if the victim has fewer hit points remaining than the number rolled, he or she will take at least one point of damage (and this is the only case in which harm may kill a creature)."

Should I read "at least" here as "nevertheless/in this case" and not "one or more"? I.e. if the victim has 3 hp and the roll is 4 (or 2 hp and the roll is 3–4, or 1 hp and the roll is 2–4), does the victim only ever take one point of damage? Or does he or she lose all remaining hit points?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"At least" is "one or more." If the creature has 4 or fewer hit points left, and the roll is equal to or greater than the number of hit points remaining, the creature suffers 1 point of damage. If it has one hit point, it dies.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

OK! But just to be sure: what I'm getting at is, is there a set of conditions that triggers the "or more" part? Can the victim take two, three, four points of damage within the context of this "if the victim has fewer hit points" rule, and if so, how?

Or does the "or more" part just refer to those normal cases where the victim's original hp total is higher than the result of the 1d4 roll?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If the victim has 4 hit points, and a 1 is rolled, then it took 3 points of damage. If the victim has 3 hit points, and a 1 is rolled, then it took 2 points of damage. If the victim has 2 points of damage, then the only thing it can have after the spell is 1 hit point, because the spell always does one point of damage. Only if the victim is already down to his or her last hit point will it die.

I'm not sure what "conditions" you are imagining other than what the spell text actually says.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Got it now, thanks!
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 pm I'm not sure what "conditions" you are imagining other than what the spell text actually says.
I believe the (rephrased, but mathematically equivalent) statement "If the roll is over their current hp then they will take at least 1 hp of damage," suggests that there might be some condition (albeit a condition that is absent in this case) in which the roll is over their current hp and they take more than 1 hp of damage. Since there is no such condition, there was some confusion as to whether something was missing. Everything in the spell text still checks out fine, but IMO it might be a little redundant to say "at least," since the only possible value is 1 damage in the case where the roll is over their current hp.

as it's written: If current hp < roll, then damage >= 1
how it happens: If current hp < roll, then damage = 1

Huh. I just realized this technically implies that a roll equal to their hp would not do damage... not to muddy the waters... :?
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Clever_Munkey wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 am
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 pm I'm not sure what "conditions" you are imagining other than what the spell text actually says.
I believe the (rephrased, but mathematically equivalent) statement "If the roll is over their current hp then they will take at least 1 hp of damage," suggests that there might be some condition (albeit a condition that is absent in this case) in which the roll is over their current hp and they take more than 1 hp of damage. Since there is no such condition, there was some confusion as to whether something was missing. Everything in the spell text still checks out fine, but IMO it might be a little redundant to say "at least," since the only possible value is 1 damage in the case where the roll is over their current hp.

as it's written: If current hp < roll, then damage >= 1
how it happens: If current hp < roll, then damage = 1

Huh. I just realized this technically implies that a roll equal to their hp would not do damage... not to muddy the waters... :?
Yeah, that was what I was getting at. Sorry if I'm getting on your nerves with these questions, Solomoriah, as that's the last thing I want to do. But the way translation works is that you can't really translate anything before you're sure of everything, and to eradicate even the .1% of doubt I sometimes have to act even dumber than I am.

As for that "roll equal to hp would not do damage," isn't that just how the spell is supposed to work? It reduces the hp total to a randomly determined amount of hit points, and if the victim already is at that amount, all well and good! I suppose it's helpful to think of the effect of the spell as a "reduction" and not "damage" (except for that "1 point of damage" bylaw).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, harm always causes at least one point of damage.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:00 pm No, harm always causes at least one point of damage.
How does that jibe with "if the victim has fewer hit points remaining than the number rolled, he or she will take at least one point of damage"?