Hexcrawl Procedures Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
CptClyde

Re: Hexcrawl procedures?

Post by CptClyde »

Interesting idea about splitting it up between "How to CREATE a hexcrawl" and "How to Run a hexcrawl". This has never ocured to me. In theory that sounds easy enough and even logical but in this case I don't quite see how practically I'd go about that. Can you elaborate on this further maybe?

Here's how I see separating the Wilderness exploration portion for example:
Create hexcrawl:
-Write some fluff text around the subject of populating a blank wilderness hex map using my Random Terrain tables

Run hexcrawl:
-A sentence stating the random Terrain tables CAN be used to generate the terrain on the fly
-Maybe mention/reference Core rules for movement speeds, encounter frequency

In the above example, I don't think anything is clarified or added by separating. Wouldn't it make for 2 very terse books? I think it would detract from the original point and driving motivation of this project, which is to have a zero-prep hexcrawl.
Perhaps I have been using this as a monolithic system too long and miss the obvious.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The section detailing creating a hexcrawl should start out discussing how to draw a hex map, since we have no such guidance in the Core Rules. Random terrain generation should be given as an option immediately following that part, with a brief discussion of hybrid map-making (drawing some parts and leaving the rest to chance). Next would be the part where you explain how to stock the map, again providing a random method and discussing partially-random stocking. You could then wind it all up with a description of doing all of the above on the fly, for a truly random experience.

Running a hexcrawl is simpler. There should be an explanation of converting movement rates to the standard scale; I need to review my old notes, but if I remember right I used to have a point-value movement system that makes hex movement easier. Not sure what else would be needed... if I was writing it, I think it might be more obvious. Too many projects right now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

AlMan wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 pm Let me take the old +3 Warhammer of Red Ink out and whack away at this.
Thank you for the assistance.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

I see, you are thinking a full treatment on the hexcrawl subject then. Something that would more belong in the Core rules maybe. Though I would love to see an official treatment on "hexcrawling" in the Core rules for completeness sake if nothing else, I don't think I'm the guy for the job of writing that kind of material out. Not enough experience planning hexcrawls adventures oddly, and not enough interest in the topic at the moment any how.

As for the point-movement system: I like it, and actually use one but thought it easier to reference the Core rules and not introduce yet another new "system".
It goes like this:
-Using Core rules pg 38 for movement values we can make our new "Hexcrawl Movement Points" scaled as:
Encounter Move / Miles per day / Hexcrawl Movement Points
10 / 6 / 6
20 / 12 / 12
30 / 18 / 18
40 / 24 / 24
50 / 30 / 30

Then we can simply assign Movement Point Costs to the different types of Terrain:
Jungle,Mountain,Swamp: 18
Desert, Forest, Hills: 9
Clear, Plains, Trail: 6
Road (Paved): 4
Last edited by CptClyde on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Hexcrawl Adventures

Put into standard Supplement format. Added double spacing between sentences. Included OGL.

Introduction

Page 1 – Paragraph 1 – Put retirement before death. Being close to retirement I would like to retire first then die much, much later.
Was:
The campaign can go on endlessly as characters clear wilderness land, build strongholds, found towns, grow in experience, die, retire, and are replaced, …
Changed To:
The campaign can go on endlessly as characters clear wilderness land, build strongholds, found towns, grow in experience, retire, die, and are replaced, …

Page 2 – Notes on table.
Was:
They are cumulative. If a Fighter has acquired 50% stronghold grant from his mighty deeds, when he decides to build a stronghold the crown will pay an additional 50% of what the Fighter spends towards the stronghold construction.
Changed To:
The grants are cumulative. If a Fighter has acquired a 50% stronghold grant for his or her mighty deeds, when he or she decides to build a stronghold, the crown will pay an additional 50% of what the Fighter spends towards the stronghold construction.

Page 4 – Here There Be Monsters – Paragraph 1
“We must” sounds more authoritarian than “We will”, trying to keep it cooperative.
Was:
… we now must determine if a Monster was encountered in the wilderness hex
Changed to:
… we will now determine if a Monster was encountered in the wilderness hex

Page 4 – Here there be monsters – Paragraph 2
Was:
Wilderness encounter scenes do not require overly busy or descript terrain details.
Changed to:
Wilderness encounter scenes do not require overly busy or descriptive terrain details.

Page 4 – Generating Dungeons and Caves – Paragraph 1 – Sentence 2
Was:
A dungeon can also be generated on the fly when the players decide to explore it.
Changed to:
When the players decide to explore a dungeon. The dungeon can be generated on the fly.

Page 4 – Generating Dungeons and Caves – Paragraph 1 – Sentence 5
Was
As the party explores each room we can generate the layout/contents of that room on the fly as well, similarly to how wilderness Encounter scene is generated.
Changed to:
As the party explores each room the layout/contents of that room can be generated on the fly as well, similar to how a wilderness encounter scene is generated.

Page 5 – Dungeon Rooms – Paragraph 1
Was:
Generating dungeons on the fly is a 2 step process. First we drop dice to determine the overall room placement of a section of the dungeon (Dungeon Area), This will also dictate which room types are where and where monster Lairs exist. Then as each room is explored, we can generate exact placement of furniture/features in that room.
Changed to:
Generating dungeons on the fly is a 2 step process. First drop the dice to determine the overall room placement of a section of the dungeon (Dungeon Area). This will also dictate which rooms types are where and where monster lairs exist. Then as each room is explored, furniture/features placement can be generated.

Page 5 – Dungeon Rooms – Paragraph 2 – Sentence 1
Was:
To generate an random Dungeon Area on the fly, …
Changed to:
To generate a random Dungeon Area on the fly, …

Page 5 – Dungeon Rooms – Paragraph 3 – Sentence 4
Was:
They seem to exude a foul odour
Changed to:
They seem to exude a foul odor

Page 5 – Dungeon Rooms – Paragraph 4 – Sentence 4
Was:
The outer perimeter of the the fallen dice hints at the room’s shape and size.
Changed to:
The outer perimeter of the fallen dice hints at the room’s shape and size.

Page 7 – Legends and Rumours – Subheading
Was:
Legends and Rumours
Changed to:
Legends and Rumors

Page 7 Legends and Rumors – Paragraph 2
Was:
… plus the bonus for the appropriate attribute (page 8, Core Rules).
Changed to:
… plus the bonus for the appropriate ability score (page 8, Core Rules).

Page 8 – Legends and Rumors – Paragraph 3
Was:
For each 2 points by which roll succeeded, give a piece of information in the following order, depending on location:
Changed to:
For every 2 points over the success target, give a piece of information in the following order, depending on location:

Page 8 – Legends and Rumors – Paragraph 4
Was:
For every 2 points past success by 10 reveals another Clue.
Changed to:
If the success target is exceeded by 10, for every 2 points another Clue is revealed.

Page 8 – Legends and Rumors – Paragraph 9
Was:
… or during the the travel leading to it.
Changed to:
… or during the travel leading to it.

Page 9 – Stronghold and Domain Events – Paragraph 5
Was:
We will interpret that as Sir Winston hears of a possible trade increase in a nieghboring town.
Changed to:
We will interpret that as Sir Winston hears of a possible trade increase in a neighboring town.

Page 9 – Stronghold and Domain Events – Paragraph 6
Was:
On the second month, Sir Winston’s Population is still “Happy”, but at the start of the month he rolled a Domain Event of 3 indicating a “Very Bad” event is occuring. He rolls on the Nature of Event table to find out it involves “Historical/Holy Relic”. Perhaps the local hisorical artifact named the “horn of plenty” which is blasted each year to kick-off the fall harvest feast has been stolen.
Changed to:
On the second month, Sir Winston’s Population is still “Happy”, but at the start of the month he rolls a Domain Event of 3 indicating a “Very Bad” event will occur. He rolls on the Nature of Event table to find out it involves “Historical/Holy Relic”. Perhaps the local historical artifact named the “Horn of Plenty” which is blasted each year to kick-off the fall harvest feast has been stolen.

Page 9 – Domain Events Table – Row 2
Was:
Population Sentiment worses by 1 step
Changed to:
Population Sentiment worsens by 1 step

Page 9 – Nature of Event Table – Row 8
Was:
If Very Bad Event Type rolled, then ware declared on this stronghold, etc.)
Changed to:
If Very Bad Event Type rolled, then war declared on this stronghold, etc.)

Saved as version 8. Will update first post with this revision.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Thanks!

I can see some new problems since I did r4. I've done the next pass (r9) and sent it to CptClyde.

- renumbered out-of-sequence tables
- corrected table references in text
- uniform format for dice roll notation
- copied the B&W table style from the core book (to save on ink, if this does go to print someday)
- converted the new multi-level point form notes into "Step" text
- corrected some spelling issues
Last edited by toddlyons on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

CptClyde wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:11 pm Then we can simply assign Movement Point Costs to the different types of Terrain:
Jungle,Mountain,Swamp: 18
Desert/Forest, Hills: 12
Clear, Plains, Trail: 6
Road (Paved): 4
The point cost for Desert, Forest, Hills should be 9
Rules as written, the point cost for Road (paved) should be 4.5, though I understand why you would just round.

I have some half-rules written up that I can share for the procedures of actually running a hexcrawl if anyone is interested.

Actually I'll upload them even if no one is interested because I need to finish them for the game I'm working on anyway. I encourage you to take what you like, and toss what you don't (even if that means all of it)
Attachments
Joe's Hex Crawl Basics.pdf
(44.01 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Joe's Hex Crawl Basics.odt
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Clever_Munkey wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:42 pm
The point cost for Desert, Forest, Hills should be 9
Rules as written, the point cost for Road (paved) should be 4.5, though I understand why you would just round.

I have some half-rules written up that I can share for the procedures of actually running a hexcrawl if anyone is interested.

Actually I'll upload them even if no one is interested because I need to finish them for the game I'm working on anyway. I encourage you to take what you like, and toss what you don't (even if that means all of it)
Thank you for the correction. I will edit my previous post.

I like your rules for the various difficulty ratings in a hex. I had briefly played with rules for getting lost and foraging but found they did not come up often (once in 6 months of bi-weekly play) so I did not convert them into this doc. I am trying to keep this doc light and flexible (and extendable!) in the BFRPG spirit. However your little 2 pager would be a nice optional add on for sure.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Thank you AlMan and ToddLyons!
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

CptClyde wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:56 am Thank you AlMan and ToddLyons!
You're welcome, CptClyde. I've copied the chat between you and Solo and I'll see what I can do about addressing these bits of the content.