Boosted Classes

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Boosted Classes

Post by Dimirag »

From time to time somebody ask about using more experienced characters, one common answer is to start them with 5000 XP (or other value), that is the start of this supplement with a couple twist added.
What if the 5000 XP character where actually 1st level pc and then started improving normally, but that is a simple thing, so, how about adding more special abilities rounding up their "boosted" status?

Files are on the Showcase
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
PendragonTX

Re: Boosted Classes

Post by PendragonTX »

What I've been doing for years, both for starter-levels, and for inserting PCs into existing higher level games, is this: pick an appropriate level, give them all they should have at that level including appropriate magic and unspent loot. Do NOT give them any xps. They are, so to speak, "buying on credit". They earn xps normally, eventually catch up, and take a pass on magic until they are caught up.
It reduces the "massacre rating", while making sure the players feel they have *earned* everything.
Thread Necromacer-at-Large
teaman

Post by teaman »

I always start everyone at 3rd level and max HP to improve survivabilty. But that's just my take, not gospel.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

As each class has its own XP cost, using the same level for every class is not the best option although easier.
And starting beyond first level means that, the character is not a first level one.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Somebody gave me the Basic set which stops at level 3.
I played with only that for a while before I bought all the Advanced books.
It would be very weird for me to start at level 3.
I guess I just start slow.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

I always start at first level and also enjoy playing at first level. I like to see if I CAN survive. It makes it fun for me!
Seven

Post by Seven »

I've hardly ever played this game, except in tournaments.
I've mostly been DM and played in different games.
So I mostly look at classes from an NPC angle.

"Some referees feel the game is a failure if half the player characters are not killed in each game!" -- J. Eric Holmes, Fantasy Role Playing Games
Brimstone

Post by Brimstone »

PendragonTX wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm What I've been doing for years, both for starter-levels, and for inserting PCs into existing higher level games, is this: pick an appropriate level, give them all they should have at that level including appropriate magic and unspent loot. Do NOT give them any xps. They are, so to speak, "buying on credit". They earn xps normally, eventually catch up, and take a pass on magic until they are caught up.
It reduces the "massacre rating", while making sure the players feel they have *earned* everything.
That's interesting.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Just reading this now. I love this optional material. This and the "Quasi-classes" and "Combat" supplements specifically are what makes BFRGP so magical to me. You get a simple, clean core rules set (in one book!) and can add on material as you wish to dial up the crunch depending on your group.
I could see this supplement being perfect for enticing D&D 5e players over to the darkside!
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Once I was in a 2e game using the Tales of the Lance boxed set, and the DM had us start as npc commoners and based on our decisions we could then pick a class. That was actually a lot of fun.