New Classes from Old

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Rosisha

Re: New Classes from Old

Post by Rosisha »

As a dog owner of so many rescues, I can tell you backwards and forwards what they cannot eat. However, as all good boys, my canine character would go into tippy taps and circles wanting the most amazing kibble... that he had last night. And the night before that. And the night before that. And the night before that. And the night before that.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Its a big supplement, so it will take time going item for item.

It look something made more for personal use than for sharing, changing its format to a the proper Basic Fantasy one would be a must to me.

Another needed change is replacement of Memorization for Preparation.

My brain shortcircuited when I read "White Mage" as a sub-cleric, I feel it should go as a sub-magic-user. Mechanically they are clerics, but using spellbooks, so its kind of a drawback but gain nothing instead. If they can only use "positive, non-damaging" spells, then they have a second drawback.

Same for Black Magician being a sub-cleric.

Bards start by losing armor access but gains more weapons, they lose Turning Undeads. They downgrade their spell learning skill. They gain 6 to 25 performance skills (which needs to have some kind of ruling). They gain performance abilities, that only work when the listener wills it. They gain 1 to 20 lore skills. The amount of performance skills, abilities and lore skills should be lowered.

Holy Knights (it says Warriors on their optional rules), gain lances and swords, lose every ranged weapon plus some melee ones (I think they can only use hammers and staves beside lances), they are limited on their level improvement from 3rd to 4th level so they can gain a weapon and a horse in case they don't have those by that level, plus some inner status... needs some more benefits, probably some taken from the optional mountain combat rules.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

I really do keep trying to read through this but I'm wondering if the background system from 5e might be more helpful for you - I think that is actually what you're trying to accomplish if I'm not mistaken and might make a good jumping off point. Breaking up class into two components could be interesting in and of itself. I'd get rid of noble/folk hero myself. Something like this:

Acolyte: Your initial training was in religious institutions. Standard for a Cleric. Might allow the character to use a holy symbol as a Cleric. Or know how to make holy water. Definitely familiar with the day to day management of a Church. Combined with fighter? Holy Warrior. Combined with Thief? Inquisitor. Combined with magic user? Perhaps a Holy Sage or "White Mage".

Criminal/Spy: Your initial training was with a band of outlaws or a Spy Master. Standard for thief. Allows non-thief characters a +1 to search or something. Maybe more sneaky. Combined with a fighter? Thug/Agent. Combined with a cleric? A priest of either a shadowy deity or an investigator of some kind/counter spy. Combined with a magic user? Perhaps a charlatan or something like Q for James Bond.

Sage: Your initial training was in a University or with some isolated wizard. Standard for a magic user. Allows the character to read magic perhaps, or detect magic. Maybe something related to their research. Combined with a fighter? Gentleman Adventurer. Combined with a Thief? Treasure Hunter. Combined with a Cleric? Cloistered Monk.

Soldier: Your initial training was in a military background. Perhaps a fighting order or a local warlord. Standard for a fighter. Allows the character to use a weapon or armor not normally available to them. Combined with a Cleric? Crusader. Combined with a Thief? Scout. Combined with a Magic User? War Mage.

Thoughts?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

One supplement one can take cues from is this one as it deals with giving special abilities and drawbacks.

If the idea is to build up on them, QuasiClasses is a good base.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

So I read through both of these and I like them but not sure they are going where I'd like to go. I will take a stab at this though - not sure when. I have so many writing projects on my plate right now and work is insane hahaha.

I want to get Shadows over Pineford done first though.
irichmond

Post by irichmond »

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I was trying to make these changes minimal. That's why they all start with... just like a... Cleric, Fighter, Magic User, or Thief, except.... If you notice, they're actually not that far off from the original classes, they're just really weird takes on a given power set. For example, White Magicians are almost exactly Clerics, just without the idea that they get their spells from the Immortals. I was deliberately doing this to avoid straying to far from established classes and to minimize balance issues.

Still, I do take the point that they'd take a lot of play testing.

I do have one question. I'm totally new to this project. Is the goal of the forum to come up with actual material for actual supplements or is the goal just to suggest ideas that folks might want to try out? Because, I was thinking it was the latter. That appeals to me, because, rather than having a big game company publish materials, we have the potential to collaborate in this sort of Linux-esque "open source" TTRPG. But, if the expectation is to present serious material for publication, that's a very different expectation, which would imply more stringent requirments.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Surely Solo can give a better answer.
To me this forum is a place for Basic Fantasy related things, both intended for other to use and for reviews and ideas, but both done in "BF Format".
The more "radical" the material presented, the less chances to be used by some (if not most) members. I see the people here as Basic Fantasy Game Players and Basic Fantasy Content Creator rather than game playtester.
Seven

Post by Seven »

To use your analogy, the requirements for sharing patches on Linux are actually pretty stringent. It needs to follow the format rules to be considered by the reviewers. I can't submit code using my work email because it will not be formatted properly. And the goal with Linux is probably to get the thing submitted or it will quickly become obsolete since the code keeps changing. But I do pick up old patches and rework them if they fit my need.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

irichmond wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 pm I do have one question. I'm totally new to this project. Is the goal of the forum to come up with actual material for actual supplements or is the goal just to suggest ideas that folks might want to try out? Because, I was thinking it was the latter. That appeals to me, because, rather than having a big game company publish materials, we have the potential to collaborate in this sort of Linux-esque "open source" TTRPG. But, if the expectation is to present serious material for publication, that's a very different expectation, which would imply more stringent requirements.
It's both. The Downloads page is for in-print items, as well as supplements that build on top of the Core Rules. The Workshop sub-forum is the wild west; feel free to create documents that either hew close or run far away. The latter won't reach the Downloads page, but that's ok; Workshop is filled with wondrous and crazy things, and we'd never discourage that.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

And the Showcase lies between, with less stringent requirements but still with a goal of "finished" and usable works.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org