Spellcrafters Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: Spellcrafters Supplement

Post by daryen »

A couple of follow-up points on the questions ...

I am not adding any notes for the Druidic spells. Since there are already spells like this (e.g. Protection from Evil and Detect Magic), I don't see this as needing any particular explanation.

For Permanency, I am sure the constitution loss should be heal-able. If it isn't, the spells gained are just not worth the cost. Especially since they can be dispelled at any time. That is too great of a cost for such a minor gain. Besides, letting the constitution loss be healed isn't a panacea for the spell caster. If they lose more than one point, they must still make a saving throw to get the last one back. That means they can cast this spell at most once a day (or once every two days depending on how the GM rules) to be sure to always get the points back. And that assumes they don't get a nasty surprise somehow that costs them another constitution loss while suffering from the loss due to the spell. The recovery rules already make this a risky spell. No need to make it worse.

Finally, on the Repair and Serious Repair, I don't think the Serious Repair needs a modification (besides defining the Save vs. Spells issue). Serious repair does twice the base damage and removes the +4 to the save, so it should be improved enough. On the "small" part, that is a general description that the GM has to decide what is meant. So, I recommend just defining the Save part and leave the "small item" description alone.

With these updates, I have put the updated file in the box.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Spellcrafters: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 9 -- August 24, 2020
New contributor Mike West has revised and expanded this classic supplement, cleaning up many descriptions and adding useful spells from a variety of sources.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#spellcrafters

I reviewed and then removed all the comments about what you did and why, except for the comments identifying the sources of the various spells (as I thought they might be useful later). There were a few textual errors (Basic Fantasy RPG Cor Rules in one place, for example) but nothing major, and I agree with the commentary you made about each change so I didn't roll back or alter any of your changes.

Nice work. Glad to have you on the Project!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The download page has it as r3 instead of r9 with a "not found" error when clicked (maybe it hasn't refreshed yet)
BTW, I made a drawing for this class in case you want to use it.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

And here it is
Spellcrafter.jpg
Spellcrafter.jpg (10.48 MiB) Viewed 4077 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Downloads work now, and your art is in there.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Well, crap. I somehow missed that the Spellcrafter has Read Magic in their first level spell list! Oh well. Whenever someone (or I) updates the Spellcrafter again, that spell probably ought to be replaced.
daryen

Post by daryen »

As mentioned above, while making a master spell list, I found that the Spellcrafter erroneously had Read Magic listed in their spell list. This, in effect, robs them of a first level spell they should have. And, since I don't want to have to go back and fix Libram Magica later, I decided to fix it now. So, I replaced it.

Since they have absolutely no offensive spells at first level at any point (including considering New Spells and Libram Magica) I gave them Magic Missile in place of the Read Magic that they get anyway.

In addition, there were several spells that were in non-alphabetical order (especially the Fourth Level spells), so I fixed that, too. Everything should now be in alphabetical order.

Finally, the spell Greater Warding was mistakenly listed as Greater Ward in the spell list, so that is now fixed, too.

All changes have a comment that starts with "UPDATE". All changes are completely limited to the spell lists. (Since Magic Missile is from the Core Rules, it doesn't need a spell entry.)

I have uploaded the updated file to the Projects folder.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I edited r10 in Projects; I moved Dimirag's art credit to the top with the others, and adjusted its levels and spacing a little bit.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Any chance the r10 could be evaluated at some point? I want to make sure it is approved before I finish with Libram Magica.

Do note, again, the only substantial change I made was to replace Read Magic with Magic Missile. I also fixed some listing errors in the spell lists. (Some were out of order; I fixed that.) The only change of substance was the first level spell swap of Read Magic for Magic Missile.

Also, please note I am not wedded to Magic Missile. The only thing I want is that no matter what spell is used, it be from the Core Rulebook. (By having it from the Core Rulebook, nothing else has to change. Just the spell swap in the list of first level spells.

Once the change is approved, I will very quickly send the Libram Magica update on to Smoot. (It's gonna take some effort on his part to go through the whole thing and make it work like he wants.)

No hurry necessarily or anything. It's just that it is such a small update, I was hoping it wouldn't be a big imposition to get approved (or not).

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

R10 is on the Downloads page now. I'm leaving the question of "evaluation" to the community... does anyone see a problem with this version?