KH1 The Blackapple Brugh

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Bumblepig

Re: The Blackapple Brugh

Post by Bumblepig »

daryen wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm ....

I also like that there really isn't a time limit or anything. The missing kids are just dandy until the PCs decide to delve in and rescue them. The shape-shifting ibixes can run around for a while without any real problems. So, you really can start the characters at first level, build them up to third level, then finally let them clean out the dungeon and retrieve the missing kids. (Just *don't* try to do the dungeon before third level! Everyone will die.)

Finally, if any more artwork is done for this, it really needs to be the enraged cook.
R11 Uploaded.

This was all very helpful, thank you. I added you to the Editorial credits as Mike West (that's you, right?).

I appreciate that you liked reading it, thanks for saying so.

Heck yeah I'm open to more illustrations that might come along! I hadn't considered the angry cook, but she'd be a good one. The idea reminds me of a picture in G1.

The difficulty/level appropriateness has been nagging at me from the beginning. I set out to create a level 1-3 range adventure, and purposefully toned down some lethality after a TPK at the home game:(. I do leave some high level creatures in there as optional encounters that clever players could avoid. But the tentacle worm in particular might break that.
Maybe I should just err on the side of caution and just say it's a level 2-4 adventure. I don't *think* a minimum of level 3 is necessary, but maybe it is. At the end of the day only playtesting can let you truly know, but I'd appreciate others' thoughts.
I find it's a fine line between cakewalk and meatgrinder....
Seven

Post by Seven »

In the field guide the plural of Ibix is Ibix. Are we changing that?
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

In that FG entry I only see ibix in the singular. I figured the plural would be ibixes.
If I'm wrong though it's probably easier to just change it in my draft adventure, not the printed FG.
daryen

Post by daryen »

First, yes, it's Mike West. Thanks!
Bumblepig wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 pm I find it's a fine line between cakewalk and meatgrinder....
I think starting at first level is good, as there are several opportunities for one-hit encounters doing the odd jobs to gain those initial levels before running the dungeon. That's good and something I heartily encourage.

The reason I say minimum third level for the dungeon is because there is no easy exit. It'd be one thing if they could enter to get familiar with it, get out safely, then come back to solve it for real when they are powerful enough. But they can't. Once you enter, you have to plunge through it. You have to solve it in one go. That means you need as many spells as possible, if not several potions to survive the meat grinder aspect. However, it is doable, as long as they avoid the big battles, of which all but the worm are avoidable. (That one is just random.)

But, assuming the players don't "expend" their three competent (enough) helpers before the dungeon, they should be able to make it through. But they need to be at least third level to get the staying power.

The only other option would be to allow the players the option of getting in and out more than once (assuming they can play nice until the final run). But that would require somewhat of a restructure that I don't think is warranted. Just get the levels first.

Maybe levels 1-4.

The other thing I really like is that trying the non-violent option is heavily rewarded. There is still plenty of fighting, but if they "play nice" it will let them limit the fighting enough to allow them the chance to get through it alive.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Bumblepig wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 pm In that FG entry I only see ibix in the singular. I figured the plural would be ibixes.
If I'm wrong though it's probably easier to just change it in my draft adventure, not the printed FG.
I have a printed version. Not sure if it has been changed, but it says "ibix are ill-tempered".
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Seven wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:38 am
Bumblepig wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 pm In that FG entry I only see ibix in the singular. I figured the plural would be ibixes.
I have a printed version. Not sure if it has been changed, but it says "ibix are ill-tempered".
OK, I've figured out the source of confusion. As I was creating the adventure I would refer to the latest version of the Field Guide in soft copy (version 34). In that version, the wording is different from what you quoted. For example, in version 34 it's "an ibix is ill-tempered...". As it happens, there were other wording changes in r34 so the entry doesn't contain any plural use of ibix, so I just assumed the plural would be "ibixes".

But I too have a print version of the Field Guide (version 25), and in that version it's as you say, it includes the plural version of ibix, and it's "ibix". So the good news is, neither one of us is drunk or crazy. :)

I obviously don't care what it is, I just want to be self-consistent and consistent with any other resources people might be using. It seems the author's/editors' intent was to have the plural be "ibix", so I'll change it. That will be in r12, though I'm not going to publish that version until I get more edits.

Sheesh...who knew such a little creature could cause so much mischief! Well then again, it is in their character....
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ur. If that note has been removed from the Field Guide, I have to wonder why. (I have to wonder if it's my fault, to be clear.)
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Nothing was removed, it's just an issue of rewording, not substantive change. I don't think there's any issue with the current field guide entry.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Bumble, FYI, I'm doing an edit and layout pass. I'll upload a new R12 when I'm done. Please hold off making changes until then, and download the new R12 to continue.

Yes, you're in the official publication queue now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. Can I get a pronunciation guide for "brugh?"