Attacking with spells and range: touch

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Grimthing

Attacking with spells and range: touch

Post by Grimthing »

I understand from the core rules there is no differentiation between swinging at someone with a sword and reaching for someone to discharge a spell; but I wasn't sure if anyone had any house rules for this?

Trying to touch someone in chain mail is no different than touching someone in a padded jacket?

* Allow Magic-Users / Clerics to add their INT / WIS to the attack roll instead of STR? (Doesn't really seem to make sense; Seems a bit too 5E D&D to me)

* +2 attack bonus for attacking with spells.

Are the two line of thoughts I began with?

From a cursory look, it seems spells which must be delivered via touch are less appealing to spell casters, Magic-Users in particular as they have a low +AB. Maybe I'm not seeing something!

Thanks,
Grim
daryen

Re: Attacking with spells and range: touch

Post by daryen »

If you are going to do something special, just port in "touch AC". Touch AC is basically just the base unarmored AC, plus the Dex bonus when applicable. And ... that's it.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Which touch spells are we talking about?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Long ago the were some discussions about this, the "core rule" is: no difference between attack types.

Some member suggested different options such as touch ac (treating the victim as not having any armor), giving a +4 attack bonus, among others I can't remember.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

To be clear, I know there is just the one kind of AC. I was just trying to say, if you're gonna house-rule it, why not take the easy option?
Grimthing

Post by Grimthing »

by daryen » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:37 pm

If you are going to do something special, just port in "touch AC". Touch AC is basically just the base unarmored AC, plus the Dex bonus when applicable. And ... that's it.
Yeah, this is probably the easiest and most basic to implement, with a bit of ad-hoc adjustments for enemies (as their armour / agileness isn't always apparent).

by Dimirag » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:01 pm
giving a +4 attack bonus, among others I can't remember.
My second option above was just allowing a flat bonus to the spell user - But this would need to scale somehow so perhaps +2 1st-5th, +3 6-11th etc, but even just thinking about that seems like becoming too complex.

by Seven » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Which touch spells are we talking about?
I was only thinking about Inflict Light Wounds and didn't go over the entire lists properly. Now that I'm looking, there isn't quite so many, so I guess that's why its never an issue for most people.

I like this in the description of Decay Flesh
A missed attack roll does not dispel the effect, as it can be active until used or until a number of rounds equal to the caster's level have passed.
I think I'll just start by applying that to any spell that doesn't have it included, and see if that seems to sit comfortably with me!

Thanks for feedback all :)
Grim
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

My second option above was just allowing a flat bonus to the spell user - But this would need to scale somehow so perhaps +2 1st-5th, +3 6-11th etc, but even just thinking about that seems like becoming too complex.
Consider 2 things: the bonus is to the attack bonus, which already increase with level, so there is no need to increase it.
Second: Casters are not the only ones that may require to do "touch attacks" depending on the character's intent.

An interesting (to me at least) option that I just though is using a saving throw, as none of the existing ones look good enough to me, I created a new Saving Throw vs Contact (or Touch)

Here are two versions: Both use the same progression which is based on their attack bonus (seemed a reasonable approach).
This one has the initial value based on the class itself, its made so a fighter ends up with something similar to an AC 17, the other classes are taken from that point.
touch st a.png
touch st a.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
This one make thing more equal as every class share the same starting value:
touch st b.png
touch st b.png (10.45 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Grimthing

Post by Grimthing »

Really interesting ideas @Dimirag. Thanks for putting together the save. tables also!

Appreciate it. Lots of options to think about now.

Grim
peelseel2

Post by peelseel2 »

For touch attacks I just say AC is 11 no matter real AC. Not very granular, but it comes up so little, I just want something fast.