Magical Item Compendium

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
borgar

Re: Magical Item Compendium

Post by borgar »

I was thinking of using the smaller items as something of a "get out of jail card" item for players to summon the smallest elementals (like spell I guess) on short notice (in combat).

In any case I started out thinking about an "icicle" item for cold and it somehow ended up as multiple gems on a necklace.

Ice - Glass icicle (I guess that's pretty much a rod but with a wide base it might not be a regular "handheld" item)
Lightning - Metal coil or coils, possibly with a crank to generate a charge (or perhaps we are moving into steampunk fantasy here)

I think pot (or vase) with soil makes sense for wood elementals and crucible seem a great choice for metal .
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

The glass rod idea is a pretty good one. The reason i suggested a leyden jar is because it is a very primitive capacitor. So primitive that there is some evidence that a version of it existed in Mesopotamia. Anyway, what better way to contain a lightning elemental than with a capacitor? Although a glass rod with some wool is also a cool idea. But also easier to come by.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r7 uploaded to first post. Lots of little corrections, and title page art courtesy of Zaozabob. Haven't added the elemental-summoning items until they're finalized on this thread. I'm liking the crucible (metal) and leyden jar (lightning) the most so far.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Several have recently asked if we had something like this, so I'm bringing this back onto the first page.
Attachments
bumpertime.gif
bumpertime.gif (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4948 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Lets put some new items:

Armors and Shields

Armor of Resilience: This plate armor is made of a polichromatic metal changing color as its move thru light. When its user take damage for the first time it will change its form, increasing its defense and gaining a +3 AC bonus against that type of damage until the next day at which point it will revert to its original form. There is a limit to how many types of damage the armor can gain its benefit:
d00 Lesser Greater
01-50 1 2
61-75 2 2
76-90 2 3
91-00 2 4

Irondwarf Armor
This bulky armor is only usable by the dwarven people, made from rare metals and ancient magic. It provides its wearer with an AC 18, has a weight of 80 and a +3 to its Constitution Bonus (and thus giving 3 temporary hit points per character level).

Potions

Potion of Bravery: This potion grants immunity against fear of any kind for 1d6 hours.

Rods, Staves, and Wands

Rod of Spell Research: Used by some strict Magic Users on their pupils this rod, whenever used to hit somebody's head (doing 1d4+2 damage), provides a d3*10% bonus on any Spell Research roll. There is no limit to the potential bonus outside of the pupil's hit points.

Weapons

Sword, Weakfinder This short sword d6-3 attack bonus and a 35% chance of doing double damage against an opponent by finding and striking its weak points.

Wearables

Cloak of the Savage: This is cloak made of sturdy leather and long fur. Once per day the wearer can activate its power and for 10 rounds enter a battle frenzy improving its strength bonus by 2 points, losing 2 points of its AC and gaining 4 temporary hit points.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

I like the sword, but the name is a bit..., hum..., weak?

How about Flawfinder?
(To make things easier, I'd do the double damage on rolls of 20, 17 and 13, as long as those it, but that's just me.)
borgar

Post by borgar »

Seven wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:06 am How about Flawfinder?
May I suggest using a more mythological names for the sword? Causing flaws could be the domain of Gremlins, so "Sword of the Gremlin" or "Gremlinsblade"?

Note that the -3 adjustment to the D6 damage roll makes this a really bad shortsword even with the 1/3 chance for double damage (especially since the max damage would at most be 6). The average damage would be 2 which is significantly lower than 3.5 average for a normal short sword. Even if double means an extra unmodified D6 the average is bad (2.66).

If the base damage is D6 this should end up with average damage only slightly above that of a Short Sword +1 (4.66 vs 4.5). A bit more fun to roll though.

BTW, I did not spend time checking my calculations so there is the chance that they are not completely accurate.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I choose not to involve the attack roll as to not step on any possible critical rule a table could be using.

I actually like the use of the word "weak" as in weakness, maybe using the name I though originally is a better option.

Sword, Weaknessbiter This short sword has a d4-1 attack bonus (rolled with each attack) and a 35% chance of doing double damage by finding and striking its victim's weak points.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

I like that better. A Weakfinder sound like an arrow that will hit the weakest party member, or the runt of the litter.