New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
gg2

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by gg2 »

hi,
Shades :
I don't know how you're gonna write the spell in the end, but would it be possible to come up with something other than 60% for the Shades? It's a very impractical formula that requires calculations that aren't necessarily pleasant to improvise in the middle of a fight.
50% is more practical, but frankly I don't like it (plus it decreases the power of the spell).
But for example saying that you decrease all the dice used by the creature of a category. 1d6 becomes 1d4, 1d10 > 1d8, 3d8>3d6 etc.
the statistics are a bit stronger and a bit variable... but also much easier to manage on the fly during the game.
or decrease par 2 category (a little too weak), or 1 for the HD and 2 for the damage

Or another way... but that doesn't involve making calculations....
daryen

Post by daryen »

I got the 60% from the Shadow Something spells in the 3.5 SRD. As for how to do it, I was just going to have things work normally, except that after figuring HPs, it'd be reduced to 60%, and any damage it did would be done normally, then multiplied by .6. There was nothing fancy intended. For the base creature, I am going to scale it to a similarly leveled summoning spell.

The point is to make it nice and moody. The mechanics are intended to be fairly simple.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. I do NOT like multiplication or division that happens during combat.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Ok. I can change that ...

What about the rest?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No comment, as yet. Sorry. Too much going on to pay close attention here.
daryen

Post by daryen »

As a side note, I am going to wait for results on Necromancer and Illusionist before really completing New Spells, as they have some new spells I think should be included. Plus, I figure spell levels 1-6 need to be finished before making spell level 7.

Alternatively, I could take this in two phases:
1) Only update the file to take Clerics and Magic-Users into account.
2) Update that with Druids, Illusionists, Necromancers, and Spellcasters.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, after going through the other spellcasters on the Downloads page and looking for at least some reuse, here are the non-seventh level spells I want to add to New Spells. These are the new non-seventh level spells. These are either new for New Spells, or new for Necromancer. (None of the new spells for Illusionist are here as they are all pretty much just on-theme for Illusionist.)

Analyze Dweomer(6) – Brand New; available for Magic-User and Spellcrafter. Identifies everything about a single magic item. No ambiguity or die rolls needed.
This is the "big brother" to Analyze Magic. Rather than be limited and require piece-meal investigation over multiple castings, this just gives up the whole story including any activation words.

Barkskin(2) – Brand New; available for Druid. Gives armor bonus.
This is the Druid's Mage Armor. It gives them an AC bonus. I chose to steal 3.5 SRD's scaling bonus to make it a bit different from other protection spells.

Blight(5) – New from Necromancer; available for Druid. Destroys one normal plant or damages plant creature.
This is a new spell from the new set of spells I used to fill out the Necromancer's spell list. It is included here because it is on-theme for the Druid. Honestly, it could be given to the Cleric, too, as it is pretty Biblical. (Similar to Earthquake and Flame Strike.)

Cure Deafness(1) – Brand New; available for Cleric. Missing companion spell for Cure Blindness.
This is the companion spell for Cure Blindness. This is really needed, as there are spells and effects that can cause deafness.

Gaseous Form(3) – Brand new; available for Magic-User and Spellcrafter. Replicates the effect of the potion of the same name.
This is another spell that fills in the source spell for a magic item. It is also a very useful spell for infiltration and investigation.

Gentle Repose(3) – Brand new; available for Cleric and Necromancer. Preserves dead body allow for more time to raise from the dead (Cleric) or use as a zombie (Necro).
This was a late cut from the Necromancer. (I'd have to look to see what it made room for.) Regardless, this is something pretty handy for both Necromancers and Cleric (though for different goals). This is likely one of the weakest of the additions, but I'd still like to include it.

Goodberry(1) – Brand new; available for Druid. Makes a few berries into a full meal with a very minor healing effect.
This is a very long standing spell for the Druids. It is also the Druidic analog for the Cleric's Create Food, which seems something that a Druid should be able to do.

Mount(1) – Brand New; available for Magic-User. Summons a riding horse for a while.
This is pretty low on the priority list, but it is a very useful utility spell that can see use for many levels, not just the low levels. It's long term utility is one of the big reasons for inclusion.

Quench(3) – Brand new; available for Druid. Puts out normal and magical fires; counters a fireball.
This is fundamentally the anti-fireball. It just seems to be too on-brand for Druids and is conspicuously absent from their spell list. I would actually expect this to be a pretty common "default" spell for Druids, depending on circumstances.

Repel Wood(6) – Brand New; available for Druid. Strongly repels wood objects away and shatters smaller wood objects.
Another spell that is just too on-brand for Druids to not include. Plus, it pairs very nicely with the seventh level spell Metal to Wood.

Restore Health(2) – Brand New; available for Cleric and Druid. Immediately removes various conditions (like fear, fatigue, etc.) or restores lost attribute points.
This is a tremendous whole in the Cleric (and Druid) spell list. This allows them to cure minor conditions that are not hit point based. It also allows them to heal up any ability point damage (like Constitution damage). Again, this spell is very much needed.

Shillelagh(1) – Brand New; available for Druid. Make simple club more effective and magic.
This gives the Druid a back-up weapon. They can grab just about anything that the GM would be willing to classify as a "club" or "cudgel" and turn it into an effective weapon.

Stoneskin(5) – Brand New; available for Magic-User and Druid. Provides “hardness” for the target of the spell.
I have renamed the original Stoneskin spell in New Spells to Mage Armor. This is the "real" Stoneskin spell that imparts hardness to the target rather than an AC bonus. It makes the target of the spell virtually immune to normal weapons for its duration (which does have a total damage cap that will dispel it early).

Tree(2) – Brand New; available for Druid. Target can take the form of a tree.
This is another classic Druid spell. Think of it as "limited invisibility" for Druids. The Druid takes the form of a small tree that is virtually undetectable as anything but a normal small tree.

Undeath to Death(6) – New from Necromancer; available for Cleric and Magic-User. Similar to Death Spell, but for undead targets.
This is another new spell added for the Necromancer. For the Necromancer, it is useful to let his or her minions know who is in charge. For Clerics and Magic-Users it is more useful to just get rid of powerful opponents. It is literally just the Death Spell that affects undead instead of living targets.

Unseen Servant(1) – Brand New; available for Magic-User, Illusionist, and Spellcrafter. Creates an invisible servant to do simple tasks or move things around. Necromancer has their own version.
Like Mount, this is a low-level utility spell that will be used for many levels. Even more than Mount, this spell is likely to be used from levels 1 to 20. It is *always* useful. It is also available for all arcane classes other than Necromancer, as they already have basically the same thing, just much creepier.

Again, these are the brand new spells I'd like to add to New Spells. This list is inclusive of and supersedes the list I provided before.

There is one other spell that bears mentioning:
Magic Mirror(4) – From Spellcrafters; available to everyone. This is basically the same as the Scry spell I wanted to add.
In fact, it is better than Scry as it doesn't fail. Ever. It is guaranteed to succeed. So ... that makes Scry utterly pointless. I have simply deleted Scry and have replaced it with Magic Mirror. I am not too thrilled with the name of Magic Mirror, but it is what it is. (The original version of the spell even let you cast through it with no error. I have recommended changing the original in Spellcrafters to make that a roll, as it is pretty much too good as it is.)
I am making this available to everyone, as everyone historically as access to something like this. Cleric need a font of holy water; Druids need a pool or pond of clear water; Necromancers need a cauldron of blood; Illusionists and Magic-Users can probably just stick with the default mirror. (Though someone probably needs to use a non-magical crystal ball just because.)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm giving a provisional pass to Analyze Dweomer, for two reasons. First, we don't use the word "dweomer" in the text anywhere; not sure of the product identity status of the word, and at any rate we haven't so far, so why start? Second, and more important, I want to see the text of the spell before I give it blanket approval.

The other spells I feel less strongly about, but again, still want to see how you approach them. I'm good with the idea overall... proceed, in other words.
daryen

Post by daryen »

There are three additional spells I want to address separately, and that are intentionally not included in the prior message. All are new and were discussed to some degree in the Planes discussion in General.

Plane Shift(5): Available for Clerics and maybe Magic-Users. This spell allows the cast (and a certain number of willing participants) to instantly transition to another plane. This is inexact and the travelers can arrive up to 500 (I think) miles from their intended destination. Wherever they land will be relatively safe when they arrive, regardless. (They won't arrive in the middle of the air, in the middle of rock, in the middle of an ocean, or anything like that. Unless, of course, the plane is just air or water or rock; and even then it will be somewhere relatively safe in that plane. You still need to be able to deal with the destination, though.) The spell is instantaneous, so once you go, you're gone. You have to have another copy of the spell prepared, or have some other means to get back where you came from, and even then you will still arrive in a random location, not where you started from.

The origins of this spell allowed it to be used offensively, too. That aspect is not included in this spell. This is purely a transportation spell. It's intended use is not to explore, except for the truly desperate, but to always allow for a way to get back home (where the inexact nature of the destination is much less likely to be fatal). It is also included as the following two spells are seventh level only, and that would make this spell potentially available in games where seventh level spells aren't used.

I know Solo wasn't convinced on this spell, and it can always be deleted. Again, the reason for inclusion is so that planar travel can be available (if desired) even if seventh level spells aren't used.

Gate(7): Available for Clerics, Magic-Users, and Spellcrafters. Maybe for Necromancers. This spell creates a flat circle with a diameter of 5 to 20 feet (caster's choice). It can be situated at any angle, but will usually be vertical. Sometimes horizontal if someone is trying to have fun. The "back" is filled with an opaque haze and passing through does nothing. The "front" opens to show where the Gate is connected to. This is full "portal" with complete visibility (subject to the conditions on the other side; from a place in the air to a place in the water will get expected results) and accessibility. The Gate is full two-way, and anyone on either side can pass back and forth either way, including going one way and back the other as long as the Gate stays open. Any number of people or things can use the Gate, subject to the spell's duration and normal physical constraints. When the spell expires (or if it is dispelled) it goes away, but can always be recreated by casting the spell again.
Note that the spell will allow both sides to be on the same plane if so desired, and that means it can also work as a very powerful alternative to teleportation.
As long as the destination is known and exists as known, the Gate will open where desired. If not, the Gate will open wherever the GM wants it to.

The origins of the spell also included a mechanism to pull someone from the other side through in order to make a bargain. This spell does not include that. This is (again) purely a transportation spell.

Astral Projection(7): Available for Clerics, Magic-Users, and Illusionists. This spell leaves the caster (and any willing participants) in suspended animation (they do not need air or food; any other effects (e.g. aging) are up to the GM). Their spirit/soul is then projected to the destination plane where they form a new body. This new body will appear to be exactly the same as their original body, but will be acclimated to survive on this new plane. This spell will last for as long as desired until either the caster ends it for everyone or the caster's new body dies. In either case, all of the new bodies pop out of existence, and the souls/spirits of everyone returns to their original bodies. If a participant wills it, they can return on their own. If a participant's new body is killed, they return on their own. If the original body of anyone who is still under the effects of the spell is killed, the character is killed and their new body pops out of existence.
Unlike Gate, the destination cannot be the same plane as the plane or origin. Also, Astral Projection cannot be cast while still in the new body. To go to yet another plane, the caster must end the spell, bringing everyone back to their original bodies and cast a new spell from their original bodies.

Note that this spell, despite its name, makes no assumption about any potential Astral Plane. Such an intermediary plane is totally unnecessary, and there is no "travel" between the source plane and the destination plane. When the spell is cast, the participants immediately enter suspended animation and they immediately gain a new body at the destination plane.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Instead of Analyze Dweomer, how about Reveal Magic? So, now instead of Analyzing the Magic, you are just outright Revealing the Magic.

Also, here is the spell description. It lasts 1 round / level and has a range of 5 feet.
This spell reveals all spell and magical properties of objects or creatures examined with this spell. The caster may examine one object or creature per round. In the case of magic items, the caster will learn all of its functions, how to activate it (if required), and any charges left (if it has charges). If it is an object or creature with spells cast on it, the caster will learn what spells, their effects, and the caster level of those spells.
Any object or magic item that is held by someone who does not want the object or magic item examine may negate the spell with a successful saving throw vs. Spells. Likewise a creature that does not want to be examined may also negate the spell with a successful saving throw vs. Spells.