Magic Item Market Costs

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Vaeltava

Magic Item Market Costs

Post by Vaeltava »

I've been through several supplements, and the core rules, and I can't find a way to determine the market cost for a Ring of Spell Storing meant to contain one or two Magic Missile spells. Could someone direct me to a supplement with the rules for this, or just tell me outright what one would cost?
Orpheo

Re: Magic Item Market Costs

Post by Orpheo »

In my game it would cost blood, tears, toil and encounter with almost certain death but for the most forthright of adventurers. 8-)
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

If you are running a high magic game where you can purchase magic items in a shop then start reading in the core rule book at page 143 spell scrolls and ends on the bottom of 145 cursed items. Those pages show how to figure out the base cost for items. There is information on permanent magical items creation on the next page.

Example 1

Sword +1 (1000gp)
Base cost : 1000 gp x bonus

Example 2

Ring of invisibility 10,000gp
base cost : 500gp x spell effect level (Invisibility is level 2)
Item usable by any class : 1000gp
Item work automatically : total cost x5

This is the bare cost of the creation. Now you as a GM get to decide what type of markup there would be for your campaign. In most retail stores (in real life) there is a x2 or x3 markup on items sold. Also most pawn shops only buys items for a fraction of their value also. So if a pc wants to sell or trade in his +1 weapon he would only get a part of the value. Again that amount is left up to the GM to decide on. A quick rule of thumb I use, if they are selling it, give it a 40% base resale value but on a good roll or roleplay let it go to 50% resale value. Remember the npc has to make a profit also otherwise why would he be in business.
Last edited by Metroknight on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The 1E AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide has 'sale values' for magic items - a Ring of Spell Storing is listed as 22,500 gp.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Vaeltava wrote:I've been through several supplements, and the core rules, and I can't find a way to determine the market cost for a Ring of Spell Storing meant to contain one or two Magic Missile spells. Could someone direct me to a supplement with the rules for this, or just tell me outright what one would cost?
There are no rules for this mainly because magic items aren't typically bought or sold at any sort of "market" value. Each and every sale of a magic item is special in an old-school game.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Is it for buying, selling, or taking out of start-up budget for a character? Because each gives you a different answer.

But as you can see, we've got recommendations, not rules.
Go with a smile!
Husk

Post by Husk »

There is only one rule to shopping;

"If you have to ask, then you can't afford it."