Blood Sorcerer Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Blood Sorcerer Supplement

Post by Dimirag »

Your file, your class, your decision.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I think that's a generic enough term, esp. for just the filename.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Do not dink around with my Nazgoreans... just saying...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Not touchin' any Nazgoreans ...

That said, here is the spell list I came up with for an Aberrant Blood Heritage. Before updating the document again, I wanted to get some input on it, as I am not completely sold on all of the spells.

First Level Aberrant Spells
1 - Chill - N
2 - Protection from Evil*
3 - Remove Fear*
4 - Resist Cold

Second Level Aberrant Spells
1 - Detect Evil*
2 - ESP
3 - Silence 15’ radius
4 - Water Breathing

Third Level Aberrant Spells
1 - Acid Splash (new spell: an acid-ball based on fireball)
2 - Clairvoyance
3 - Ray of Exhaustion - N
4 - Protection from Evil 10’ radius*

Fourth Level Aberrant Spells
1 - Black Tentacles - N
2 - Enervation - N
3 - Fear - N
4 - Polymorph Other

Fifth Level Aberrant Spells
1 - Insect Plague
2 - Nightmare - I
3 - Symbol of Pain - N
4 - Waves of Fatigue - N

Sixth Level Aberrant Spells
1 - Death Spell
2 - Eyebite - N
3 - Speak with Monsters
4 - Symbol of Fear - N

The point of the "positive" spells is to allow for the reversed usage. (They don't want to remove fear, they want to cause fear.) The N spells are from the expanded Necromancer spell list. Nightmare is from the expanded Illusionist spell list. Don't forget they get the 8-8-8-8-6-6 default spells from the Sorcerer base spell list, too.

I didn't create any new spells for this blood heritage, though I can think of at least one: a fifth level spell that allows the spell recipient to exist in a naturally hostile environment safely (whether in the vacuum of space or in high radioactivity or the elemental plane of fire or something like that; spell effects damage normally). But there could be other good spells to add, too.
daryen

Post by daryen »

With the addition of the Aberrant blood heritage, there are now nine of them. To make it an even ten, I was thinking of doing something completely different ...

Valor Blood Heritage
Someone with this heritage was marked by a Valkyrie or has several ancestors who became Einar (did I spell that correctly?). Maybe someone in the past was elevated because of their combat prowess.

The benefits of the Valor blood heritage are quite different than the others. They receive no additional spells. They are restricted to the spells all Sorcerers get. Instead, they get three benefits:
1) Their hit dice are d6 instead of d4.
2) They used the Cleric/Thief attack bonus progression.
3) They can use leather armor without affecting their spell casting and can use any one-handed weapon.

Would this work?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I think it takes the class into another direction out of the rest of the heritages, not really of my liking, I can see that for a supplement similar to one about specialization clerics.

For something weird I can think of something like Artificial Heritage, with spells related to magical objects, magical detection and identification, some spellcrafter's spells, etc...

By the way, the standard procedure for updating files is to change the file on the first post and make a mention of it on the new message, adding it along with a pdf form is even better.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

My bad. I'll go back and fix that later.

EDIT: Done!
Last edited by daryen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:59 pm For something weird I can think of something like Artificial Heritage, with spells related to magical objects, magical detection and identification, some spellcrafter's spells, etc...
I could do that. All the extra spells would be from the Spellcrafter. Call it the Artifice Heritage (or get lazy and just do Craft Heritage). That'd work for me.

Then I just make the Valor Heritage into a variant Sorcerer rather than a blood heritage. The rules would be the same, just a different explanation.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, one more update for the Sorcerer. I added the Aberrant and Artifice Blood Heritages and added Battle Sorcerer as a variant sorcerer. (I also gave the Battle Sorcerer a major debuff by reducing the number of spells they can learn per level.) This time I correctly updated the odt file on the first post instead of putting it here.

Unless I can think of any magic items to add, and I can't right now, this should be stable enough now to evaluate.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Posted r3 in the Showcase. The only real difference between r2 and r3 is that any spells that I hope to add to the Illusionist and Necromancer classes that have not (yet) been accepted are included here so they can be found. I did not include any Druid, Illusionist, Necromancer, or Spellcrafter spells that are in the current Downloads page version of those supplements as that would add a lot more spells. Obviously, those will be added for the final version, but this version needs feedback first.

The only other changes were minor wording changes to make things read more fluidly. Nothing of substance was actually changed.